• September 22, 2024, 06:21:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Mysterious case of the disappearing brake fluid...  (Read 2099 times)

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: Mysterious case of the disappearing brake fluid...
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2023, 09:24:18 AM »

My Ribelle (1st gen 2021)  This weekend I decided to install some accessories. When I got to my Brake Bullet, I

which model of the brake bullet works for the Ribelle's

BB-01

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2023, 08:34:52 PM »

thank you.
This does look like something very useful to have for sure, especially in florida here where a lot of the roads are not so sturdy on the shoulders.

Aaron

MoneyFor

• View Profile
    • My Current Bikes
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2023, 10:34:23 PM »

I have the BB obn my Ribelle since I own the bike, works great and no problems.

Click HERE here to see my current bikes.

My current bikes:

2003 - HD  Hugger
2016 - Honda GL 1800
2018 - HD  Fat Boy
2019 - HD  Street Bob
2020 - Energica Ribelle
2021 - KTM Superduke 1290R
2022 - HD Street Glide Special

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2023, 10:49:09 PM »

which model of the brake bullet works for the Ribelle's
AFAIK, all Zeros as well as all the Energicas use the BB01.

I have it on both my Zeros as well as on my 2020 SS9-.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2023, 06:00:07 AM »

@Big Poppa,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue..??

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2023, 07:11:00 PM »

I have an appointment for next Friday to have the dealer look at my bike. I hope to know something by early the following week (they’re also going to do the 30k service on my BMW R1200RT at the same appointment so I suspect they’ll do that first).

Honestly, I don’t think they’ll figure out why it’s all gone but I’m still hoping they’ll find something I missed.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2023, 07:14:30 PM »

I have an appointment for next Friday to have the dealer look at my bike. I hope to know something by early the following week (they’re also going to do the 30k service on my BMW R1200RT at the same appointment so I suspect they’ll do that first).

Honestly, I don’t think they’ll figure out why it’s all gone but I’m still hoping they’ll find something I missed.

They must find out where the leak is, or you could potentially have a brake failure. 

There is blue brake fluid, or dye that can be added to the existing fluid, then the system can be pressurized by tying back the brake lever.

The source of the leak will soon be found.

Good luck and absolutely demand satisfaction on this issue.  Serious issue indeed.

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2023, 08:38:22 PM »

Update on my bike. The mechanic found that it’s a very slow leak. He was able to trace the leak from the Rizoma reservoir, down the back side of the brake cable to the top of the fork leg. From there it goes just far enough down to the triple tree where it dries up before getting any further down.

That explains why there’s no paint damage from a brake fluid leak and why there were no spots on the floor or anywhere else on the bike. The mechanic believes the hose from the bottom of the Rizoma reservoir is too long and was therefor causing the o-ring at the bottom to not seal properly. He’s going to either cut it down in length or put a shorter hose on to hopefully resolve the leak. He’s asked me to keep a sheet of plain white paper under the reservoir once they’re done with the bike so I can see if it continues to leak.

They’re finishing up some accessory installations (frame sliders and Weiser indicator lights) as well as the 42 firmware update. I should be able to pick it up Tuesday or Wednesday and I’m looking forward to riding it with a more accurate speedo on the freeway and the running lights in the indicators.

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2023, 08:49:28 PM »

^^ Awesome!

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2023, 05:33:48 PM »

Good to hear that they found the leak!

Please leave us a feedback about your experience with the .042 update.
Is the range prediction getting better over time?
Charge time prediction while slow charging still OK?

Thank you!

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2023, 04:12:43 AM »

Picked up my bike this morning from the dealer. Turns out the Rizoma reservoir itself was the culprit. Fortunately I saved the OEM reservoir and they re-installed that. Traffic was too heavy from the dealer to my office this morning so I could only average about 40mph-50mph and I couldn't really maintain a steady speed. When I leave to go home I'll have a better idea if the 42 firmware truly addresses the speed error or not at freeway+ speeds.

Since I left the dealer with 95% SoC, I also won't have an idea of range or charge time predictions until I get home which usually sees me using up 60%+ SoC depending on how aggressive I get. ;)

I'll update again late next week after I've gotten a few more commute days and charge cycles under the new firmware.

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2023, 10:12:39 PM »

Earlier than planned update on my .042 firmware experience. Only 2 charge cycles since picking up my bike earlier this week. My observations so far:
  • Speedometer now reads a pretty consistent 5mph high at freeway speeds instead of 10% high as measured by my Garmin GPS
  • Range and charge time estimates are way off. My usual charge cycle takes about 3+ hours at 240v AC but the bike is estimating about 1.5 hours. Also, at 80% SoC the bike is estimating about a 35 mile range when I know I can easily get 60 miles.
  • The bike is even worse now at recognizing my fob. I now get the Key Not In Range message when trying to start the bike and once I do get it started, it displays what I assume is a key not in range icon at the top while riding. I did triple check the key fob battery to make sure it was good (2.98v).

I’ll see if the range and charge estimates improve over the next week or so of commuting.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2023, 11:59:07 PM »

Earlier than planned update on my .042 firmware experience. Only 2 charge cycles since picking up my bike earlier this week. My observations so far:
  • Speedometer now reads a pretty consistent 5mph high at freeway speeds instead of 10% high as measured by my Garmin GPS
  • Range and charge time estimates are way off. My usual charge cycle takes about 3+ hours at 240v AC but the bike is estimating about 1.5 hours. Also, at 80% SoC the bike is estimating about a 35 mile range when I know I can easily get 60 miles.
  • The bike is even worse now at recognizing my fob. I now get the Key Not In Range message when trying to start the bike and once I do get it started, it displays what I assume is a key not in range icon at the top while riding. I did triple check the key fob battery to make sure it was good (2.98v).
I’ll see if the range and charge estimates improve over the next week or so of commuting.
If a 3-volt battery measures less than 3V, it is time to replace it. They put the minimum operational voltage on batteries, not the max. That is why they always read high when new.  Yours is borderline. I would replace it and measure the voltage of the new battery as well. I have seen a few weak new ones. BTW, that is also why a 12.8 volt car battery is called 12V, not 13V. 12V is considered nearly fully discharged, but still could be usable for a short while.

BTW, I just realized I left my only key fob in my motorcycle pants in Reno. I will be using my PIN number later for today's ride. Did you get two FOBs with your bike? I only got one, I wonder if I can purchase another. My Harley came with two FOBS. So did my Chevy Bolt.  So I wonder if I am only supposed to get one with my Experia.

But my SS9 is key only.

BTW, I have the same blue brake reservoir on my SS9 as you do, has never leaked at drop since the install around three years ago.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Dryer667

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2023, 12:43:26 AM »

Does your SOC range prediction correspond accurately with the average wh/mi number that is generated on the third driving screen?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 09:48:52 AM by Dryer667 »

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2023, 05:17:13 AM »

If a 3-volt battery measures less than 3V, it is time to replace it. They put the minimum operational voltage on batteries, not the max. That is why they always read high when new.  Yours is borderline. I would replace it and measure the voltage of the new battery as well. I have seen a few weak new ones. BTW, that is also why a 12.8 volt car battery is called 12V, not 13V. 12V is considered nearly fully discharged, but still could be usable for a short while.

BTW, I just realized I left my only key fob in my motorcycle pants in Reno. I will be using my PIN number later for today's ride. Did you get two FOBs with your bike? I only got one, I wonder if I can purchase another. My Harley came with two FOBS. So did my Chevy Bolt.  So I wonder if I am only supposed to get one with my Experia.

But my SS9 is key only.

BTW, I have the same blue brake reservoir on my SS9 as you do, has never leaked at drop since the install around three years ago.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

Thanks for the info on the battery voltage. I assumed anything close to the rated voltage was okay. I'll check my other new in package batteries then. Hopefully that will take care of the fob recognition issue.

Speaking of FOBs, my Ribelle only came with one FOB, one green (secondary) key, and one orange (master) key.
Pages: 1 [2] 3