• September 22, 2024, 04:20:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Mysterious case of the disappearing brake fluid...  (Read 2098 times)

BigPoppa

• View Profile
Mysterious case of the disappearing brake fluid...
« on: January 17, 2023, 12:31:44 AM »

My Ribelle (1st gen 2021) has been in LPR mode since November. I keep it on a PitBull rear stand in my garage. This weekend I decided to install some accessories. When I got to my Brake Bullet, I noticed my front brake fluid reservoir was completely empty. I looked all around the bike and under it and I couldn't find any sign of a leak. I'm 100% certain I had a normal amount of brake fluid when I put the bike in LPR mode since it's something I routinely glance at when my bikes are being used. Admittedly, I haven't looked at it since I put it in LPR mode, but I know it was at normal levels in the week or two prior.

Anyone else ever hear of such a thing? It seems nearly impossible to me. I would expect to have signs of a leak somewhere but I can't find anything. When I take my other bike to the dealer on Friday to have some auxiliary lights installed, I'll make an appointment to have it looked at.

Just curious if this has ever happened to anyone else with any other kind of bike.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: Mysterious case of the disappearing brake fluid...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 12:48:23 AM »

My Ribelle (1st gen 2021) has been in LPR mode since November. I keep it on a PitBull rear stand in my garage. This weekend I decided to install some accessories. When I got to my Brake Bullet, I noticed my front brake fluid reservoir was completely empty. I looked all around the bike and under it and I couldn't find any sign of a leak. I'm 100% certain I had a normal amount of brake fluid when I put the bike in LPR mode since it's something I routinely glance at when my bikes are being used. Admittedly, I haven't looked at it since I put it in LPR mode, but I know it was at normal levels in the week or two prior.

Anyone else ever hear of such a thing? It seems nearly impossible to me. I would expect to have signs of a leak somewhere but I can't find anything. When I take my other bike to the dealer on Friday to have some auxiliary lights installed, I'll make an appointment to have it looked at.

Just curious if this has ever happened to anyone else with any other kind of bike.

Did you try putting the bike back on the sidestand and wait to see if the level comes back up?

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 01:54:54 AM »

Had the yery same issue with my SS9+RS and asked the mechanic of the Swiss importer. He told me that this is caused by the fact that the circuit is not fully sealed and some of the destilled water in the coolant constantly evaporates. He also meant that this is not a big issue as the bike can be driven even with a coolant level below the minimum. I was quite surprised that the circuit is not hermetically sealed. And although he gave the all-clear, I am still ever so slightly worried.

Edit:
Sry. Poor reading skills at work...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 03:02:02 AM by chisquare »
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 02:19:01 AM »

Had the yery same issue with my SS9+RS and asked the mechanic of the Swiss importer. He told me that this is caused by the fact that the circuit is not fully sealed and some of the destilled water in the coolant constantly evaporates. He also meant that this is not a big issue as the bike can be driven even with a coolant level below the minimum. I was quite surprised that the circuit is not hermetically sealed. And although he gave the all-clear, I am still ever so slightly worried.

The brake fluid seems to be the issue, not the coolant.

Has to be a leak somewhere.  I would suspect the bullet brake is the culprit, if that was not installed  when the fluid seemed to disappear, there must be a leak at the line from reservoir to master, one of the bleeder fittings or one of the banjo fittings.  Might be an out of sight banjo at the ABS module.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 02:31:43 AM by Pard »

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 02:35:07 AM »

The front brake reservoir is completely empty. I didn’t get the bullet brake installed yet. I was getting ready to start the install when I noticed the empty brake reservoir. I’ll put it on the side stand in a little bit when I go back out the garage in a bit but I don’t expect to see any fluid return.

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2023, 02:48:34 AM »

The front brake reservoir is completely empty. I didn’t get the bullet brake installed yet. I was getting ready to start the install when I noticed the empty brake reservoir. I’ll put it on the side stand in a little bit when I go back out the garage in a bit but I don’t expect to see any fluid return.

"Bullett brake"..?? I've not heard of this before.

I wonder if one or more of the ABS module connections is leaking and pooling somewhere.... not visible from the outside, are you able to access the ABS module.?? The brake fluid has to be going somewhere, it doesn't just evaporate.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2023, 02:58:03 AM »

I wonder if one or more of the ABS module connections is leaking and pooling somewhere.... not visible from the outside, are you able to access the ABS module.?? The brake fluid has to be going somewhere, it doesn't just evaporate.

Smithy.
They recently improved them. They used to have a high failure rate, but not anymore with their new seals. I highly recommend the BB on any electric motorcycle.  I even use mine as a hill hold at some red lights. All three of my electric motorcycles have them.

Order here.   And customer service is the best I have seen anywhere. They sent me three new ones to replace my old ones--for free. They now cost $120.00 US ($144.00 AUD) each, worth every cent, IMO.

-Don-  Reno, NV
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 03:03:26 AM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2023, 04:10:46 AM »

Smithy.
They recently improved them. They used to have a high failure rate, but not anymore with their new seals. I highly recommend the BB on any electric motorcycle.  I even use mine as a hill hold at some red lights. All three of my electric motorcycles have them.

Order here.   And customer service is the best I have seen anywhere. They sent me three new ones to replace my old ones--for free. They now cost $120.00 US ($144.00 AUD) each, worth every cent, IMO.

-Don-  Reno, NV

Thank you Sir...very helpfull...I'll check it out.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2023, 10:34:34 PM »

I’ll put it on the side stand in a little bit when I go back out the garage in a bit but I don’t expect to see any fluid return.
Have you tried it yet? Or have you found the cause?

-Don-  Reno, NV
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 01:28:55 AM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2023, 12:32:28 AM »

I do not know how these thing are put together so this could be coming totally out of my ass but here goes.

Sometimes after a long sit, fluid in a torgue converter will drain back down into the tranny, making it's level go up, etc etc.   Yes I know this is not a tranny problem but point being, maybe the fluid drained down somewhere over time, and after being used, might go back to where it is supposed to be.  have you pumped your brakes a number of times to see if you can see or feel any issues?  Or possibly if there is an issue, pumping may cause it to show itself.  If you did add more fluid, is there a way to overfill these things and cause problems that way?

Aaron

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2023, 02:51:46 AM »

I do not know how these thing are put together so this could be coming totally out of my ass but here goes.

Sometimes after a long sit, fluid in a torgue converter will drain back down into the tranny, making it's level go up, etc etc.   Yes I know this is not a tranny problem but point being, maybe the fluid drained down somewhere over time, and after being used, might go back to where it is supposed to be.  have you pumped your brakes a number of times to see if you can see or feel any issues?  Or possibly if there is an issue, pumping may cause it to show itself.  If you did add more fluid, is there a way to overfill these things and cause problems that way?Aaron

Not possible in a closed loop brake system. If the level in the reservoir is getting lower, it "must" have a leak somewhere in the system.

Smithy.

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2023, 05:20:39 PM »

Brake fluid is a clear yellowish hydraulic fluid based on polyglycol.
That means that it isn’t necessarily causing colored stains on the floor or glistening spots like spilled oil.

So it is perfectly possible that the bike leaked drop by drop without you being able to see anything.

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2023, 07:50:47 PM »

After a few days of sitting on the side stand, still no fluid in the reservoir. I agree that it had to have leaked out but I didn’t know it wouldn’t necessarily leave visible traces. At any rate, I’ll get it to the shop sometime in the next month or two. I’m not in a rush since it’s still too cold to ride it on my daily commute compared to my R1200RT. I have to tow it to the shop in any event since I don’t feel safe trying to ride it the 45’ish or so miles.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2023, 12:06:49 AM »

After a few days of sitting on the side stand, still no fluid in the reservoir. I agree that it had to have leaked out but I didn’t know it wouldn’t necessarily leave visible traces. At any rate, I’ll get it to the shop sometime in the next month or two. I’m not in a rush since it’s still too cold to ride it on my daily commute compared to my R1200RT. I have to tow it to the shop in any event since I don’t feel safe trying to ride it the 45’ish or so miles.
It most likely is leaking from its very lowest point, so that is where to look. Look carefully around the front brake caliber. Loose caliber bleed screw?

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2023, 07:01:18 AM »

My Ribelle (1st gen 2021)  This weekend I decided to install some accessories. When I got to my Brake Bullet, I

which model of the brake bullet works for the Ribelle's
Pages: [1] 2 3