• September 20, 2024, 04:42:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Recall Notice For Newer Zeros  (Read 2784 times)

CagivaRider

• View Profile
Recall Notice For Newer Zeros
« on: January 08, 2023, 06:47:25 AM »

This notice is on Reddit Zero Motorcycles: .

Have any of you been contacted?
2021 Zero S
2019 Zero SR
2015 BMW F800GT
2001 Moto Guzzi V11-Sport
1987 Cagiva Alazzurra 650
1985 Yamaha RZ350

SHAG

• View Profile
Re: Recall Notice For Newer Zeros
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 07:13:39 AM »

Nothing in my mailbox yet! I've been hoping for a recall letter tho......
2022 FXE
BMW F750-GS
Yamaha X-Max
Lectric XP 2.0

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 07:16:51 AM »

Nothing in my mailbox yet! I've been hoping for a recall letter tho......
I think it may only be on the models with an additional 12v battery, so the SR/S, SR/F, and new SR. All the other's won't be supplying 12v through the DC-DC converter without the contactor being closed.

rgutt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 08:13:54 AM »

I have a 2021 SR that does not have a separate 12-volt battery but does have an OBDII compliant port with an always-on 12-volt source. I don't know from where they are pulling the 12 volts, but I don't think they are doing it through the 500-watt DC-DC converter because 1) the battery doesn't deplete when the bike is off and 2) from what schematic I can find, the head and taillights are on anytime the DC-DC converter is enabled. That said, the only schematic I can find dates back to a 2016 model disassembled by a customer, and the always-on 12-volt feed to meet Euro OBDII port requirements I think only started around 2020-2021. If anyone does not for certain where this other 12-volt source is located, I'd love to know without having to disassemble my bike.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2023, 10:42:52 PM »

I think it may only be on the models with an additional 12v battery, so the SR/S, SR/F, and new SR. All the other's won't be supplying 12v through the DC-DC converter without the contactor being closed.

It is, in fact, quite literally the opposite. This is for Cypher II platform bikes.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2023, 11:44:37 PM »

It is, in fact, quite literally the opposite. This is for Cypher II platform bikes.
So they have a separate DC-DC for the OBD port? Is it a part integral to the battery or does the output of the battery branch off? It surprises me because I'd heard that the dash has its own internal battery for keeping time and the like because it can't get anything from the main battery.

Bodo

• FXE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2023, 03:12:20 AM »

Posted by Zero on Friday:

Hello Zero owners,
Many of you will have received an email yesterday about a new service campaign. This campaign is relevant to owners of 2020 and 2021 model year Zero FX, FXS, S, SR, DS and DSR models.
We have determined your specific model has a 12-volt always-on module supplying power to the OBDII port that can potentially fail. Zero Motorcycles has elected to initiate a voluntary service campaign to remedy this issue. Failure of the module can result in the motorcycle's main power pack dropping below a recoverable voltage.
The remedy is to have Zero Motorcycles dealers inspect and remove the 12-volt always-on module on all affected motorcycles and replace the always-on module with a bypass kit provided by Zero Motorcycles. This update should be performed even if you have not experienced a concern.
If you have any questions regarding this service campaign, please reach out to us at ownersupport@zeromotorcycles.com.
Thank you for your continued support!

(my highlight)

karlh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023, 03:31:55 AM »

Bodo,

Does Zero's remedy mean the OBD II port will no longer have +12 volts available at pin 16 with the key off?
Karl
2020 SR/S
2007 BMW R1200ST
1978 Triumph Bonneville

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023, 07:17:25 PM »

Can this be done at home if Zero provides the kit? Is it an easy replacement?

I have received the email but I don't have a dealer close enough :(
ZERO DSR 2020 - TOURING SEAT - TREKKER 52

Bodo

• FXE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2023, 03:58:40 PM »

Bodo,

Does Zero's remedy mean the OBD II port will no longer have +12 volts available at pin 16 with the key off?
Zero wrote nothing about that; but if the Euro 5 homologation requirement is to have constant +12V on the port, they won't change that.

My understanding is that the +12V is only available at the 6-pin diagnostic interface ISO/DIS 19689 under the seat; not at the 16-pin OBD interface further down in the chassis.

karlh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2023, 04:32:04 PM »

My understanding is that the +12V is only available at the 6-pin diagnostic interface ISO/DIS 19689 under the seat; not at the 16-pin OBD interface further down in the chassis.

I agree about the requirement for constant +12 V at the diagnostic connector.  I only asked about pin 16 based on the reference to an OBD II port.  I'm aware that the ISO 19689 connector is a suitable diagnostic connector for motorcycles that don't need a 16-pin interface.
Karl
2020 SR/S
2007 BMW R1200ST
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Bodo

• FXE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2023, 05:23:09 PM »

Bodo,

Pin 16 on the 16-pin diagnostic connector of the Zero does not have +12V; it's unused.

rgutt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2023, 07:45:20 AM »

Bodo,

Pin 16 on the 16-pin diagnostic connector of the Zero does not have +12V; it's unused.

By the 2021 model, the Zero's 16-pin connector (one of them anyway) does have the +12V connection. My SR has two OBD plugs, in fact. One does not have the 12-volt source and is the only one that includes the vendor specific wires that communicate with the MBB through TTL. The second connector is actually labeled OBD-II and does have the 12-volt source.

Bodo

• FXE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2023, 01:54:41 PM »

Bodo,

By the 2021 model, the Zero's 16-pin connector (one of them anyway) does have the +12V connection. My SR has two OBD plugs, in fact. One does not have the 12-volt source and is the only one that includes the vendor specific wires that communicate with the MBB through TTL. The second connector is actually labeled OBD-II and does have the 12-volt source.
Interesting! I looked that up in the 2020 FXS workshop manual - which does not have the 6-pin data connector; need to check my 2022 FXE manually. The 6-pin certainly has +12V.

wadejesu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2023, 03:40:04 AM »

So what if there's 12 volts on any pin, won't hurt anything?
Pages: [1] 2