• September 20, 2024, 05:57:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero S BMS fault codes, but still riding and charging  (Read 1159 times)

SteveA

• View Profile
Zero S BMS fault codes, but still riding and charging
« on: January 01, 2023, 03:23:36 PM »

While out on my bike yesterday I saw lights flashing on my dash, but it appeared to ride much the same. I had a look at the fault codes on the dash and they are;
0020 - BMS Low Isolation
0028 - BMS Isolation fault
0044 - Kill switch disable
0045 - Kickstand switch disable

I put the bike on charge this morning and it appears to be taking charge, e.g. relay/contacter clicking, power draw in houshold supply and %age charge increasing.

It may be wishful thinking but, is there an easy fix/reset for this or do I need to get the bike back to the dealer?

mdjak1

• View Profile
Re: Zero S BMS fault codes, but still riding and charging
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 09:11:42 PM »

TL:DR - It is likely you have a short in your BMS.   You need to bring the bike to your dealer.  If your bike is within 5 years old, the repair should be under warranty.

Does your dash look like the two videos in my thread for my 2018 SR here:

https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=12264.0

My bike was still rideable and still charged.    I RODE my bike to a local dealer on 12/9/22 during a Zero Demo Tour day.   The dealer was supposed to look at my bike and figure out what was wrong with it.   The first thing they did was do an update on the bike.   That update caused the bike to brick.   So I had to have my wife pick me up after taking 3 test rides on a DSR/X.   In fact, I almost bought a demo DSR/X right off the Tour truck but the sponsoring dealer was only offering about 50% of what my trade was worth, so I passed on buying a demo.

The dealer was tasked with doing tests per Zero's protocol to figure out what was wrong.   Of course, the codes pointed to the BMS but I guess Zero requires that the dealer test all the other components.   

Fast forward to last week, the dealer still hasn't finished all the testing.  They told me they need to drop the battery and test the battery and/or BMS as all the other components passed testing.  At this point, it should be under warranty when it finally is repaired.

Hopefully you have a good dealership nearby and they will be able to work on your bike quickly.

SteveA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 09:52:49 PM »

Thanks for that, my dash looks much the same as in your video. Just in case, I reset the BMS using the buttons on the front, which brough up a few new error codes including 0051 - BMS self-test warning.
At least my bike is only about 18 old, so there shouldn't be any problems about sorting it under warranty.

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 06:16:25 AM »

Have you been able to bring this in to the dealer and have they figured out the issue?   The dealership where my bike is finally tested the battery and BMS (after a full month).   Both tested OK.  All the other components they can test are also testing OK.   They are stumped.   The Zero techs back at corporate aren't sure either.  I guess they are going to talk to the engineers to see if they can figure out why the bike was giving these codes and lights.   The bike is still dead from the firmware update the dealer did on December 9.

SteveA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 03:47:11 PM »

I got the bike back to the dealer 16th Jan, who diagnosed it as being a motor controller fault, which seems strange as all the faults refered to the BMS. They have replaced the motor controller and the same fault codes are present, though if they disconnect the motor controller they go away again. Thought possibly to be a faulty on arrival motor controller, but the dealer is now raising it further up the support chain.
Seems like I'm not the only one having this type of issue.

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 08:48:45 PM »

What is the weather like while this is happening (emphasis on humidity)?
I’ve experienced this issue as well but in my case it’s moisture related.
See this thread for details.

Eric
2016 Zero DSR

SteveA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2023, 09:55:12 PM »

The fault codes first started coming up on my first ride for about a week following my Christmas break, during which time the bike was in my dry garage. On the day there were only a very few drops of rain, nothing compared to what I have riden through on my daily commute over the past 18 months as a ride in all weathers apart from significant snow.

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2023, 02:15:37 AM »

What is the weather like while this is happening (emphasis on humidity)?
I’ve experienced this issue as well but in my case it’s moisture related.
See this thread for details.

That is my thread about a very similar or the same issue.   My bike definitely didn't get wet. 

Zero told my dealer (Xtreme Powersports) to replace the wiring harness after all the components tested OK.   It has been about 10 days since the harness came in and the job isn't done yet.  So I can't say if that is the problem.   And if it doesn't solve the issue, then there is the argument over who pays for the incorrect solution, parts and labor.   Even if it does solve the issue, the dealer quoted close to $2000 to replace the wiring harness.   Not real satisfied with the way this is going with my Zero.    They are quickly losing my support for their products.

SteveA

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2023, 10:30:05 PM »

A quick update on this. My bike is still at the dealer and the fault has not been determined yet.
A couple of new motor controllers have been tried, along with a new MBB, but the fault still exists. Fortunately it's under warranty, but I'm still paying a lot more for my commute, in addition to the cost of getting the bike back to the dealer.

Perhaps they'll diagnose the same fault as mdjak1 and try the BMS next?  :-\

SteveA

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2023, 01:28:53 PM »

To (hopefully) bring this to a conclusion, I picked up my bike yesterday and rode it the 60+ miles home through patchy rain without issue.
The final diagnosis was that the DC-DC converter (Sevcon unit) was failing and had sent a voltage spike to both the MBB and motor controller, so all three have been replaced, fortunately under warranty.

2020_SRS_Commuter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2023, 02:12:32 AM »

Thanks for the updates!
Pages: [1]