• September 22, 2024, 01:53:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: 22 Ribelle RS huge range loss after last update  (Read 7725 times)

Specter

• View Profile
Re: 22 Ribelle RS huge range loss after last update
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2023, 10:31:37 PM »

Im sorry to hear about your keyless issue.  I'll get that on mine as well but generally once it hits and you press the mode button to bypass it, it won't come up in your face again, unless you turn the bike off and back on.

One other thing I have noticed which I am sure really should have nothing to do with it is... it seems to happen more on windy days.

I have come to keep my key either in my left pocket, either pants or leather jacket, so it's right there near the sensor to try to minimize this.

Maybe this is something they should make it so it's just a little message at the bottom of the screen when you are driving and NOT this huge in your face forcing you to acknowledge when riding.  I understand that yah, if you drop yoru keys while driving this could be a problem you need to know, but still. too annoying.

It's like microsoft mentality... your keyboard is missing...... press any key to continue.

Aaron

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2023, 10:43:02 PM »

I have no problems with my keyless. I've seen the key not in range message but only a handful of times. I wonder if it's maybe because I ride more in rural areas with less radio interference or something?

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2023, 12:02:06 AM »

Not sure about the potential of contextual factors like the ones mentioned. To me, it looks like Energica has used cheapish hardware. I never had the slightest problem with the keyless system of my Superduke R. So keyless needn't be a problem per se, only if you take second-rate components. As many here have stated before, I regret having purchased a keyless Energica.
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2023, 11:48:15 AM »

@jotjotde Nice. So still on v042 but now running fine? Sounds like the explanation I received is correct. Did your dealer actually confirm that the bug was caused by the installer software, not the firmware itself?
TBH I haven't checked the FW number yet and the dealer did not explain. I was happy that the range issue is gone now.

Sorry to hear about your problems with the keyless. Could it be interference with e.g. your mobile phone?
I don't know consumer protection laws in Switzerland but in the EU you can give back the bike after the third unsuccessful repair attempt.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 11:55:35 AM by jotjotde »

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2023, 01:28:05 PM »

The "key not in range" issue is a software problem, not a hardware problem. If you go back to Fw 28 or older it was never a problem. There are other threads here that talk about that.

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2023, 06:13:24 PM »

Agreed, I firmly believe it’s a software issue as well. I never had issues with my fob until my first software update (v 40 I think but I’m probably wrong). I’ve replaced the battery so many times since it seems to work better (but not the same as pre-updates) with a fresh battery. Unfortunately it never lasts more than a few days before the issues arise again.

My uneducated guess is that somewhere they changed the required signal strength for the bike to consider the fob valid but only Energica knows for sure.

With all of the anecdotal reports of fob issues over the past couple of years I would have hoped Energica would have at least acknowledged it, if not fixed it by now. The one area I’m disappointed in Energica’s otherwise really good customer focus.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

Valen

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2023, 07:06:48 PM »

To be honest, about the keyless i suspect that there was a change of parts around 2020 or so and that the "new" one doesn't behave as good as the old one with 42.

For the record my 22 Ribelle RS is having way more keyless issue than when i bought it

Any pré 2020 Energica owners can confirm it works correctly for them?

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2023, 10:13:04 PM »

Did they even have the keyless available back then?  On my 2020 SS9-, purchased in Aug of 2019, I don't think they had keyless available. If they did, I was not aware of it.

-Don-  Tucson, AZ

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 25, 2023, 10:41:40 PM »

I understand the arguments for the software being the cause of the keyless issues. However, I have a hard time understanding why Energica would risk frustrating and angering its customers by not fixing this problem over multiple firmware revisions.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 11:45:41 PM by chisquare »
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2023, 02:06:56 AM »

My 2020 SS9 (13kw) didn't have a keyless option but the again I bought the unit that was on the dealer's floor. My Ribelle was the first time I saw the option to spec out a keyless ignition.

Needless to say that if I find myself in the market for a new bike, I doubt I'll go keyless unless it's the only option.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2023, 02:28:18 AM »

My2021 Ribelle is keyless BUT still on factory original firmware - the "out of range" feature was added afterwards same w/ PIN entry feature - I can live w/ both omissions as bike functions flawless inclusive of range estimation.

Once FW is updated one cannot revert back hence the hesitation to change but interested in this thread hoping some day Energica will get it sorted, but me thinks the issues w/ keyless is indeed hardware...

When bike is switched off the keyless works perfectly.  When bike is switched on, there are (2) sources of electro-magnetic interference, one is the traction drive the other is the onboard charger.  My FOB needs to be in close proximity to steering head for bike to discern the signal when charging - doesn't matter once the bike is "GO" as the FW doesn't monitor FOB and when one stops the interference subsides so bike switches off just fine.

The level of EMC interference on a ICE vehicle is not comparable and there's no practical way of shielding that will work w/o additional hardware measures.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 02:45:17 AM by PWM »
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 26, 2023, 12:53:27 PM »

Needless to say that if I find myself in the market for a new bike, I doubt I'll go keyless unless it's the only option.
The entire thing works well in my Experia and I like the keyless.

And I have tried all three ways with the bike. Using the PIN number, using the FOB active and using the FOB passive (with the FOB battery removed). It all works quite well, I have no complaints.

But I have seen the "FOB out of range" message while riding. Perhaps because I keep the FOB in my right pocket.

-Don- Organ Pipe Cactus Nat'l Mon., AZ (RV trip, with Zero DS)
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 26, 2023, 02:38:58 PM »

Reading your conversation I wonder if this is an issue in the US only.
Or is it because it's mostly US owners being active in this forum?

Valen

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2023, 04:06:36 PM »

I'm in France but définitively have the "out of range" issue (since 42 it's worse)

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2023, 09:50:09 PM »

I'm in Switzerland. Looks like there is no distinct pattern.
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9