• September 25, 2024, 04:22:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Two4Charge Experia Ride Back to Florida  (Read 1144 times)

MikeL

• View Profile
Two4Charge Experia Ride Back to Florida
« on: December 17, 2022, 08:52:36 PM »

I'm not a fan of Facebook but you can follow their trip here: https://www.facebook.com/Two4Charge/

They have already posted some photos and replied to some questions in comments.

Looks like they did over 300miles on day 1.

You can also track them via their GPS here: https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/bb1e-14064a5-457d/view#

MVetter

• View Profile
Re: Two4Charge Experia Ride Back to Florida
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 10:11:36 PM »

They passed through my neck of the woods yesterday. I went out in a car to meet up with them when they charged so I could take them to someplace tasty for lunch. Unfortunately the only large-ish bank of chargers (4 Electrify America in Pacific Grove) were occupied with cars waiting. We have a lot of ChargePoint stations here, but also unfortunately there is a software bug with ChargePoint model CPE250 stations (aka all 10 in the area) that make them unusable for Energicas. So Rick was stressing and panicking, but a spot freed up for his bike. I told Sabrina to follow me to a nearby EVgo. Got that started and noticed a Ribelle in the other spot belonging to one of the guys who rode down from San Francisco with them.

Grabbed lunch at a nearby Chinese place and arrived back juuuuuuuust as the 1 hour timer on the station ticked. I literally walked up and heard *click* as the bike turned off. Perfect timing. I didn't get an opportunity to ride the bike, but I did throw a leg over and wobble it from side to side to get a feel for ergonomics/weight. Initial impression is I really like how it felt. Seat, bars, etc. It's a LOT lighter than my 2018 SS9, but that's to be expected. 10/10 would sit on and wobble again.

MikeL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 10:58:09 PM »

They passed through my neck of the woods yesterday. I went out in a car to meet up with them when they charged so I could take them to someplace tasty for lunch. Unfortunately the only large-ish bank of chargers (4 Electrify America in Pacific Grove) were occupied with cars waiting. We have a lot of ChargePoint stations here, but also unfortunately there is a software bug with ChargePoint model CPE250 stations (aka all 10 in the area) that make them unusable for Energicas. So Rick was stressing and panicking, but a spot freed up for his bike. I told Sabrina to follow me to a nearby EVgo. Got that started and noticed a Ribelle in the other spot belonging to one of the guys who rode down from San Francisco with them.

Grabbed lunch at a nearby Chinese place and arrived back juuuuuuuust as the 1 hour timer on the station ticked. I literally walked up and heard *click* as the bike turned off. Perfect timing. I didn't get an opportunity to ride the bike, but I did throw a leg over and wobble it from side to side to get a feel for ergonomics/weight. Initial impression is I really like how it felt. Seat, bars, etc. It's a LOT lighter than my 2018 SS9, but that's to be expected. 10/10 would sit on and wobble again.

Still seems like a major issue for EV motorcycle touring is the charging infrastructure. Yes it's possible, but it definitely adds a considerable amount of time.

From South San Francisco to Santa Maria it took them roughly ~11 hours based on GPS. Granted they did stop a few times along the way, but that's still a very long day for what was a ~300mile ride.

The bikes look great, from everyone I've talked to or heard from that's been on them they say the ergonomics and weight are very well done.

I'm excited for some actual reports on real world range, charging, touring etc.

I will admit, every time I hear a report or update I think 'I wonder if I should have cancelled my order' lol.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 11:16:05 PM »

What you need to remember is they took the scenic route. Emphasis on scenic. Big Sur is only about 100 miles and it took me 2.5 hours when I did it on a Zero SR/F.

MikeL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 11:26:05 PM »

What you need to remember is they took the scenic route. Emphasis on scenic. Big Sur is only about 100 miles and it took me 2.5 hours when I did it on a Zero SR/F.

They definitely took the most scenic route possible (280, 92, 35, 9, 1, etc), I guess if you could hit your ~130miles of range at ~60mph (as quoted), you could theoretically make it with only 1 stop between South San Francisco -> Santa Maria via 101. According to Google maps it's ~255miles. But that's nailing things perfectly.

I've never dealt with DC Fast Charging on a motorcycle, my assumption is just like a car you stop and only charge to what's needed, not to 100%. So you would make 2 stops from South San Francisco to Santa Maria, and probably charge ~30minutes to maximize time?

I feel like I'm talking myself back into this motorcycle lol.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 11:29:13 PM by MikeL »

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2022, 11:45:26 PM »

Because Sabrina was having issues with the EVgo app, I actually initiated the charge session. This meant I could check on the bike while we ate and also acquire some rough math estimates. She started her charge session at ~12% according to the bike dash. During the 1 hour session it ended at 96% on the dash. The station claimed to have delivered 17.96kWh for filling up 84% of the battery. Extrapolate from that and a potential whopping 21.38kWh usable from the pack.

It also held the 75 amp (23kW) charge rate for most of the session. I saw it drop down to 15kWh at 85% but honestly I wasn't checking it regularly. These are very rough numbers and not to be taken as gospel. I'm very impressed, though.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2022, 12:07:16 AM »

We have a lot of ChargePoint stations here, but also unfortunately there is a software bug with ChargePoint model CPE250 stations (aka all 10 in the area) that make them unusable for Energicas.
Would you say that bug is the fault of Energica or the fault of ChargePoint? Or neither or both?

My understanding is that is not supposed to happen, there are standards to meet with CCS. So who is not meeting that standard, CP or Energica? 

What if all CCS changes to that new standard? It will make our new bikes worthless for any decent trip. I already consider this to be a major issue that needs to be addressed.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

ddennis669

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2022, 12:17:13 AM »

I got to meet them as they charged in Santa Maria. What wonderful people and great ambassadors for EV motorcycling.

They were having issues with charging but through some persistence they resolved it. They switched up their route for today to take some backroads to Santa Barbara. What an adventure!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 12:26:06 AM by ddennis669 »

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2022, 05:18:34 AM »

The ChargePoint issue is with ChargePoint being stupid and writing bad software. It's not the first time they have done this. They did this before and fixed it. Now they've done it again.

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2022, 08:59:05 AM »

Would you say that bug is the fault of Energica or the fault of ChargePoint? Or neither or both?
My understanding is that is not supposed to happen, there are standards to meet with CCS. So who is not meeting that standard, CP or Energica? 
What if all CCS changes to that new standard? It will make our new bikes worthless for any decent trip. I already consider this to be a major issue that needs to be addressed.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

Based on my communications with technicians at CP they have identified the issue and are working to correct it.
There are standards in place that should allow all vehicles to charge at all CCS stations. Sadly we don't live in a perfect world and one of the parameters is out of range.
CharIN is the organization that works with EV manufactures to set CCS standards. It would be massively damaging to the adoption of EV if a new standard bricked DC charging for all the EV's currently on the road.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2022, 01:09:03 PM »

Quote from: Demoni link=topic=12331.msg116378#msg116378date=1671332345
Based on my communications with technicians at CP they have identified the issue and are working to correct it.
There are standards in place that should allow all vehicles to charge at all CCS stations. Sadly we don't live in a perfect world and one of the parameters is out of range.
CharIN is the organization that works with EV manufactures to set CCS standards. It would be massively damaging to the adoption of EV if a new standard bricked DC charging for all the EV's currently on the road.
Does it affect any EVs other than the newer Energicas? Do some cars also have a problem with this flakey version from CP?

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2022, 02:10:44 PM »

Tesla Model 3s using the Chademo adapter were also affected.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2022, 12:15:33 AM »

Tesla Model 3s using the Chademo adapter were also affected.
Good. I figure the more problems, the faster they will fix the issue. Glad to hear it is not only the new Energica motorcycles, then they probably won't care as much. OTOH, I have only seen Tesla M3's using CHAdeMO with the adapters at the Wally*Marts.

What I am much more interested in is using Telsa Superchargers converted to CCS which is coming.

The vehicle I charge the least on the road is my Tesla M3. But I could sure wish I could use their superchargers with my SS9-.

I figure one of these days fast DC charging will all be standardized.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2022, 08:32:22 PM »

I wonder how Rick and Sabrina are going to handle the "bomb cyclone" weather that the news media has been warning about during the past couple of days? The temperature across Texas and Georgia is forecast today and over the weekend to be below freezing in many areas. I hope they can find charging stations that will allow them to recharge while waiting inside a heated building. That trip should really give their new Experia bikes, as well as the riders, quite a workout.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MikeL

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2022, 09:08:16 PM »

I wonder how Rick and Sabrina are going to handle the "bomb cyclone" weather that the news media has been warning about during the past couple of days? The temperature across Texas and Georgia is forecast today and over the weekend to be below freezing in many areas. I hope they can find charging stations that will allow them to recharge while waiting inside a heated building. That trip should really give their new Experia bikes, as well as the riders, quite a workout.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. We will see what they decide to do.
Pages: [1]