• October 22, 2024, 11:35:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Android phone won't coonnect with 2014 Zero  (Read 382 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Android phone won't coonnect with 2014 Zero
« on: November 22, 2022, 04:42:49 AM »

My daughter rides my old 2014 S and recently bought a cheap Motorola replacement Android cell phone for the old one that she used for a few years. That phone could access her bike's MBB without any trouble. When I visited her last Saturday I tried to get the latest Zero app, which she had just downloaded to her new phone, to connect with her bike. After 5 minutes of the phone "searching" and watching the revolving circle go round and round, I gave up. Does anyone know any tricks to get a new phone to pair up with an older Zero?
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Bodo

• FXE
    • View Profile
Re: Android phone won't coonnect with 2014 Zero
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2022, 06:22:42 AM »

Have you tried to pair the phone from its own bluetooth settings with the bike before you try again with the app?

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 07:07:00 AM »

Have you tried to pair the phone from its own bluetooth settings with the bike before you try again with the app?

I didn't know that the phone has a Bluetooth setting. If I can find it I'll give that a try. I only use my personal phone to check the condition of my battery and once in a while make a phone call when i can get a signal. And of course, I carry it around in case I need to make a call while away from home. Other than that I really don't know much about cell phones. Thanks for the suggestion.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 07:30:58 AM by Richard230 »
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ELEC_CRAZY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 11:52:36 PM »

Hi Richard230, have you succeeded?
I had a fx2014 the Bluetooth connection was little buggy, and its changes from phone to phone
the hardware is different from each company..
For me most of the time I had to put the bike in paring mode then go to Bluetooth settings & connect manually to the bike,
then open the app and connect to the bike from the app, as long the app is running I had connection, if I turn it off the all thing again..
its needed to be flexible (if the app cant connect to move to Bluetooth setting and then to the app)
This is my exp in Android.. any Iphone users out there?  :o :)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 12:23:10 AM »

Hi Richard230, have you succeeded?
I had a fx2014 the Bluetooth connection was little buggy, and its changes from phone to phone
the hardware is different from each company..
For me most of the time I had to put the bike in paring mode then go to Bluetooth settings & connect manually to the bike,
then open the app and connect to the bike from the app, as long the app is running I had connection, if I turn it off the all thing again..
its needed to be flexible (if the app cant connect to move to Bluetooth setting and then to the app)
This is my exp in Android.. any Iphone users out there?  :o :)

I think I have it figured out now. Last night I opened up my phone and found the "Connected Devices - Bluetooth" section. I clicked on that and found that my bike was listed as being "previously connected". And then right above that is an option to "Pair a new device".  I forwarded that information, with photos of my screen, to my daughter and asked her to give it a try later today when she gets a break from work. I will let you know if she succeeded in getting her Zero paired to the app on her new phone.

What kind of scared me away from the whole process is that when I bought my 2018 Zero, before I left the shop, I asked the saleslady if she would download the Zero app and pair it to my bike for me. She did do so but for some reason it took her a full hour  :o to figure out how to download the app and pair it to my new bike. I have no idea what her problem was but it did scare me off from trying to give it a try myself.  ???

Bodo

• FXE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 02:53:48 AM »

..., before I left the shop, I asked the saleslady if she would download the Zero app and pair it to my bike for me. She did do so but for some reason it took her a full hour  :o to figure out how to download the app and pair it to my new bike. I have no idea what her problem was but it did scare me off from trying to give it a try myself.  ???
Find, download, install - 3 Minutes
Lookup how to put the bike in pairing mode, and put it in pairing mode - 4 Minutes
Starting the app, finding the bike and await connection procedure to be complete - 53 Minutes

I've done it myself. Set the custom driving mode to my preferences, and close the app for good. Everyting else I need to monitor, I do with ZeroSpy https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9065.0
Until I need to have log files; then it takes more than an hour. Even though everything is already paired, it's a very slow process.

ELEC_CRAZY

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 03:00:19 AM »

I think that its very good to learn to try. knowledge is power  8)
I would stay away from on-line firmware updates, there is nothing to worry :), worst case you can ride with the sport or eco mode, and try again later  ;)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2022, 04:13:05 AM »

My daughter's 2014 Zero S hasn't been updated since it left the factory in January 2014. No over-the-air firmware updates on that model year. You need to visit a dealer for updates and why do that if it is running well? The interesting thing is that it still runs like new and has never had an issue that an update would fix. So far it has only needed a new OBC and you sure can't blame a lack of firmware updates on that failure.  ::)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2022, 06:06:51 AM »

I finally got around to pairing my daugher's 2014 S to her phone. I wasn't as easy as I had hoped. After trying to pair the two devices for 10 minutes, my son-in-law looked up some instructions on the internet. As I recall the process goes something like this: You need to turn on your phone and go to the applications and then the to the Bluetooth section. Then you have to turn on the bike, move the kill switch to off, press the mode button for 5 seconds and then tell the phone to pair with the bike. But you also have to select "allow all the time" on the Bluetooth list and not "only with the app" (when we did that it wouldn't pair). Once we jumped through all of those hoops, the phone finally paired with the bike.

BTW, I checked the condition of the 9-year old battery, which was being stored at 100%. It showed 116 volts and balancing was 1-3 mV. Not bad for being stored for much of its life at 100% and for the first three years always being plugged in.

ELEC_CRAZY

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2022, 08:55:14 PM »

Great news, The thing I love about electric bikes, they are ready to go..
now you probably needs just little service (brake fluid, little WD for everything.. and to check the belt condition)
ride safe!  :)

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2022, 11:07:21 PM »

BTW, I checked the condition of the 9-year old battery, which was being stored at 100%. It showed 116 volts and balancing was 1-3 mV. Not bad for being stored for much of its life at 100% and for the first three years always being plugged in.
The battery balancing is done when filly charged, so "always plugged in"  should keep the battery very well balanced.

But otherwise, see here.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2022, 04:29:32 AM »

The battery balancing is done when filly charged, so "always plugged in"  should keep the battery very well balanced.

But otherwise, see here.

-Don-  Reno, NV

I am aware of that recommendation and I have been following it since it was published. But my daughter tends to plug in her bike after a ride and then forgets to unplug it until the next time she rides it. We have ridden together and her bike still performs as well as my 2018 S with similar range. So maybe not following those (likely conservative laboratory) recommendations will not degrade the battery pack in practice? ???
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 04:41:19 AM by Richard230 »
Pages: [1]