• October 22, 2024, 09:48:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Excellent Video Review of FXE  (Read 847 times)

Floki

• View Profile
Excellent Video Review of FXE
« on: November 19, 2022, 05:09:42 AM »

There seem to be too many folks buying electric motorcycles and ending up disappointed due to unrealistic and uninformed expectations. I’m the type who researches major purchases to death before pulling the trigger. Before buying my FXE, I read or watched every review I could find. The video linked below is probably the best of the lot. He does an excellent job covering the pros and cons, particularly the real world range. This is the video that actually sold me on the FXE and helped me conclude it’s a great fit for my use. Anyone considering an FXE should watch this one and carefully consider whether the range and charge time will work for your intended use.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 12:08:31 AM by Floki »
2022 Zero FXE
2011 Moto Guzzi Griso 1200 SE

Pard

• View Profile
Re: Excellent Video Review of FXE
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 07:41:40 PM »

I watched this video review as part of my diligence before purchasing the bike.

IMHO, the review gives the impression that the bike is far more capable than it actually is.

First 10 minutes of the video he is zipping around on the highway ... says not a good idea with that bike ... but still showing off 70 mph plus runs. 

Do that and you will get 30 miles in the real world.

Popping wheelies on the street?  That will reduce your range to the 30 miles range as well, which won't matter if you get arrested for reckless driving.  LOL!

Minute 20:30 he is talking about if you have a 20 miles commute it might work.  True. 

But If you want to ride 50 miles straight without charging?  No f"ing way unless you baby the machine. 

Minute 26:45 he says you could ride it for 50 miles like a regular bike.  Not true.

He suggests if you have a 25 mile commute ...  "works fine" 

In the real world, FXE does not have the capability for a return of that 25 miles if you actually rode the first 25 miles anywhere near 50mph.

He says at minute 30:11 if you realistically only ride a motorcycle for 10 miles at a time the FXE is an excellent solution.  With that I agree.  And that is what the salespeople and marketing should reflect.

The bike cannot be used for a 50 mile ride at normal motorcycling speeds.  PERIOD.  :)

Now that I own one... I hate that video because it made me want to buy one.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 08:16:16 PM by Pard »

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 08:55:15 PM »

I have made it half way.  Since it is getting an excellent grade, will I find the following topics covered if I watch it to the end.

How safe is it?  How easy is it to have the rear wheel spin faster than road speed and by how much does this occur.

Run the thing down until it won't go any more and then charge it up using a meter (kilowatt or similar) and report how much is useable.

I suppose to be excellent grade for my curiosity, how easy does it push compared to a normal bike in neutral.  My bike takes a lot more effort to get moving from a stop of course brand x.

Nice view of the scenery arond LA.  Considering what is available now and the fact the Zero offerings are void of reduction gearing (quiet) likely a good choice.

I am dissapointed, was hoping for a re design or upgraded version with the way to take off the belt, traction control, and two battery modules.

Rain performance of the fender?

Floki

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 12:59:06 AM »

The bike cannot be used for a 50 mile ride at normal motorcycling speeds.  PERIOD.  :)

Now that I own one... I hate that video because it made me want to buy one.

I have done a 54 mile ride of mixed suburban streets and countryside roads at normal speeds and made it back home with 9% battery. I didn’t baby the bike at all. But I live in Southern California and it was about 80 degrees during that ride. So I don’t find anything in this video inaccurate in my use experience. As pointed out to you in your first post on this forum, ambient temperature is a huge factor impacting range of these batteries. This is true of all battery electric vehicles. You seemingly had no idea, so you pretty clearly didn’t do much diligence prior to purchase. If you rely only on claims made by vehicle manufacturers, you’re always going to be disappointed because they all exaggerate and use best case scenarios. Simply relying on manufacturer claims doesn’t constitute due diligence for any vehicle purchase. I’m sorry you’re not happy with the range of your bike, but you didn’t even consider the ambient temperature where you live. That’s on you, not Zero.

I like this video because it’s perfectly accurate in my use experience. It made me want an FXE and I’m loving my bike, partly because I knew exactly what I was getting and how it would fit my use prior to purchase.

You need a bike with a gas engine. Electric won’t work for your expectations, unless you can live with a huge heavy battery. But even those won’t achieve close to the claimed range in cold weather.
2022 Zero FXE

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 01:02:36 AM »

Pretty nasty reply to me, since you are not an owner of  the Zero company, and I did not attack you personally.

FWIW, I very specifically asked the dealer if the bike can make the 50 mile loop I had in mind.   I showed the dealer the route on the map, and the dealer is located in the same climate that I ride.

The dealer misrepresented the bike's abilities.  Zero  misrepresents the bike's abilities.

Dealer could have said "realistically a loop of that size in anything but 70 degree weather will be in limp mode. This bike is not for that mission."  Zero should take down the crap claim of 40 miles at 70mph.  Intentionally misleading.  My diligence, in part,  requires me to trust manufacturer's and dealer claims.  If the real world performance post buy varies significantly from those claims, I have been swindled.

My gas powered bikes meet the advertised specs.

Looks like the attorney general will decide.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 01:10:07 AM by Pard »

Floki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022, 01:15:31 AM »

I have made it half way.  Since it is getting an excellent grade, will I find the following topics covered if I watch it to the end.

How safe is it?  How easy is it to have the rear wheel spin faster than road speed and by how much does this occur.

Run the thing down until it won't go any more and then charge it up using a meter (kilowatt or similar) and report how much is useable.

I suppose to be excellent grade for my curiosity, how easy does it push compared to a normal bike in neutral.  My bike takes a lot more effort to get moving from a stop of course brand x.

Nice view of the scenery arond LA.  Considering what is available now and the fact the Zero offerings are void of reduction gearing (quiet) likely a good choice.

I am dissapointed, was hoping for a re design or upgraded version with the way to take off the belt, traction control, and two battery modules.

Rain performance of the fender?

If you need to ride in the rain much, I wouldn’t get an FXE. You’ll want traction control. I don’t ride it in the rain, but on dry pavement, I have to try to get it to spin out. Compared to my Griso, the FXE is like a feather, very easy to push around the garage. You really should go test ride one, but again I don’t think it’s a great choice for rain with no traction control and considerable torque.
2022 Zero FXE

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2022, 01:15:52 AM »

Question about battery temp BTW.

Using the zero app that displays battery temp...

I start the ride with a battery at 60 degrees out of the garage, and underway, even with outside temps in the 40s, the battery temp displays in the 70s during the ride.

Why should the battery not perform with an internal temp of 70-80  degrees?

Floki

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2022, 01:40:39 AM »

Pretty nasty reply to me, since you are not an owner of  the Zero company, and I did not attack you personally.

Nasty? Yes, the truth can be quite nasty. Particularly when one doesn’t want to hear it.

Good luck with the Attorney General. I’m sure he’ll be moved to tears by the Shakespearean tragedy of your uninformed impulse purchase.
2022 Zero FXE

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2022, 01:52:10 AM »

Nasty? Yes, the truth can be quite nasty. Particularly when one doesn’t want to hear it.

Good luck with the Attorney General. I’m sure he’ll be moved to tears by the Shakespearean tragedy of your uninformed impulse purchase.

LOL!

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 02:16:36 AM »

I coud get 50 miles of enthusiastic riding out of my FXS no problem. Not all highway speed - probably a mix of between 40 and 80 mph but with the throttle set to grin rather than eco. This was in a range of UK weather conditions.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

sharagan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2022, 04:16:34 AM »

wind plays also a big role in the range....but in good riding weather and having fun, the range will not be as limiting as the overheating of the bike. If I rode my FXS the same way as a gas bike, it took only 30 minutes to make it overheat at 25 Celsius ambient temperature. As far as I know, the Zero app does not show the battery temperature, only the controller/motor temperature. The battery temperature is only visible in the logs.

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2022, 04:35:36 AM »

It's the motor that overheats in the FXS I believe.

I get 100 miles from the SR/F, same sort of riding behaviour, which tallies pretty well as the battery is exactly twice the size.

Cas :)

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2022, 05:01:20 AM »

I get 100 miles from the SR/F, same sort of riding behaviour, which tallies pretty well as the battery is exactly twice the size.
At what average speed? I think I can get more than 100 miles range from my 7.2 KWH battery at a steady 20 mph.

or 25 miles max range (or less) at a steady 80 MPH.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2022, 05:35:50 AM »

wind plays also a big role in the range....but in good riding weather and having fun, the range will not be as limiting as the overheating of the bike. If I rode my FXS the same way as a gas bike, it took only 30 minutes to make it overheat at 25 Celsius ambient temperature. As far as I know, the Zero app does not show the battery temperature, only the controller/motor temperature. The battery temperature is only visible in the logs.

Live Battery temp is in App.  You can configure the screen to show a whole range of parameters.  Well done app.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 05:38:19 AM by Pard »

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2022, 04:34:16 AM »

Pages: [1] 2