• October 23, 2024, 07:21:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: New 2023 Zero FXE Owner. First Impressions...  (Read 5069 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: New 2023 Zero FXE Owner. First Impressions...
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2022, 09:05:56 PM »

Always remember that this world runs on BS. Mostly green BS.
But I look at the bright side. It's everywhere, the one resource we will never run out of.

Truer words were never spoken, Don.  ;)

Of course, you can also add political hot air to that list.   ::)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 09:08:12 PM by Richard230 »
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

sharagan

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2022, 10:26:58 PM »

Every single modification implemented has been Zero factory parts or completely reasonable and reversible items such as swapping out brake master cylinders.  I can revert it all to bone stock in 2 hrs.

Nothing I have done would impact warranty at all.

In any case, that did not even come up in the conversation with the dealer.

The zero website says 40 miles at 70 mph.  Cannot be done.

60 miles at 55mph cannot be done.

I get 50 miles at an average speed of 40mph.

Very misleading (fraudulent) performance claims by Zero.

Fun bike, but misleading advertising by the company.  Materially misleading and a case for fraud.

As far as the dealer goes, absolutely unreasonable IMHO for them not to buy back my stock configured FXE at a 25% loss to me , towards a trade in for another brand new Zero S at full retail price.

I am taking all the losses here.

They can then go ahead and make profit on my initial FXE purchase, on the sale of the same FXE as a used bike, and then profit off a sale of a new S to me again.

Or, I can get the lemon law involved and see if they agree about the false advertising claims.

Do you really want to give money towards a 2nd bike to a dealer and a company that you have this experience with? I wouldn't....

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2022, 10:27:55 PM »

Every single modification implemented has been Zero factory parts or completely reasonable and reversible items such as swapping out brake master cylinders.  I can revert it all to bone stock in 2 hrs.

Fun bike, but misleading advertising by the company.  Materially misleading and a case for fraud.

As far as the dealer goes, absolutely unreasonable IMHO for them not to buy back my stock configured FXE at a 25% loss to me , towards a trade in for another brand new Zero S at full retail price.

They can then go ahead and make profit on my initial FXE purchase, on the sale of the same FXE as a used bike, and then profit off a sale of a new S to me again.

Or, I can get the lemon law involved and see if they agree about the false advertising claims.

Do you really want to give money towards a 2nd bike to a dealer and a company that you have this experience with? I wouldn't....

That is a fair point, indeed ...

okanor

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2022, 04:01:30 AM »

So I've been lurking for some time and using the info here (Thanks). In June of 2022 I test-rode several Zero's as did my buddy (all his fault for taking me there). I ended up buying a 2022 S and he purchased the 2022 FXE

Dealer, oh yeah same drivetrain and charger in each......
Boy was he disappointed when he realized it took 9 hours for his vs 5 for mine.
We completely were blinded by shiny new motorcycles and didn't take our time to research (Our bad)
Since then We've both put 2600ish miles on each. I've spent a lot of time being the slowest of the slow pokes as well as enjoying it as one would expect to enjoy a motorcycle on twisted road/beautiful day.
example - https://go.rever.co/wQVctuVLDub
5:00 TOTAL TIME
23 AVG SPEED (MPH)
76.5 DISTANCE (MI)
3:08 MOVING TIME
49 TOP SPEED (MPH)
6967 ELEVATION (FT)

https://go.rever.co/xDEtROJ6Jub Twisty fun ride but still not earth-shattering
1:03 TOTAL TIME
42 AVG SPEED (MPH)
40.87 DISTANCE (MI)
0:57 MOVING TIME
71 TOP SPEED (MPH)
2931 ELEVATION (FT)

I will try to make the most out of this, I love the bike (Zero S) but I don't see ever purchasing another Zero or returning to the dealership I purchased it from. The range is a joke. The lack of information about the bike is miserable (battery info for example). The total lack of an affordable external charger over 1KW is unacceptable. While it's super useful to be able to plug into the wall the lack of a J-1772 connector to charge from is crazy for the money I paid for the motorcycle. For example the dealer it was purchased from doesn't have a normal exterior outlet but does have a level two charger in front of the car dealership. Now I have purchased the J-1772 adaptor but it leaves some serious holes in charging options (even if it's still slow, more outlet availability). I have reached out to Zero who told me to contact my dealership. I don't need a faster bike, but I would have bought a 14.4 kW Zero S over the 7.2 kW I have. I hope to use the Zero S for another 2 years or so, then hopefully there will be more options out there. 1st time ever I even considered a Harley, the Livewire Del Mar. I still think that might not have enough juice but it appears they actually meet their range expectations.

$12,000+ for a motorcycle and it can't even do more than 50 miles even being somewhat reserved? Never again Zero.
I just don't understand how you have a long-term business model running things like this. I can only imagine the challenges of bringing something like the Zero to market but getting people to sign on the dotted line while they are staring at something shiny only to turn around and tell everyone this thing doesn't live up to any of the hype can't last long.

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2022, 06:39:27 PM »

^^^^  @OKANOR +1000000  Awesome Post!

senormisterioso

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2022, 12:19:06 PM »

New 2022 FXE owner here.
Purchased from a RideNow powersports on a trade in last weekend.
After signing the paperwork, and taking the keys in the parking lot of the dealership there were three error codes with 95% charge.
The dealer let me know that the bike was safe to ride and that they could pick it up from me within two weeks to get it serviced.

Otherwise the bike is great! Last bike was a Tracer 900 GT and this bike has very similar acceleration up to about 55 which is perfect for getting away from traffic.
Very impressed with the brakes and suspension components and in general fit and finish was very good.
So much fun to just goof off and zip into here or there. Great for exploring.

The Zero app and its attempts to pair to the bike via bluetooth is bad bad bad. Lots of this documented on the forum. Will use once to set my custom mode, but what a wasted opportunity for Zero to integrate their app with the bike, like offering a security tracking service bundle. I bought the DFence GPS system for this, but that was a separate service entirely.

Overall, would purchase again, will check back in two weeks though  :o

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2022, 04:23:50 AM »

Excellent video that spells out all the lies in the electric motorcycling industry.

StoneAgeMan

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2022, 11:14:05 AM »

No way in hell you can get 40 miles at 70 mph on an FXE. 
My commute is 36 miles (round trip), with 34 of that being US Interstate hwy and I'm running 65/70 the entire time and I still have ~30% battery left on my 2022 FXE, pretty consistent for just over 3600 miles now.

But I'm relatively light (170lbs), skinny (34" waist, 40" chest), and short (5'7"). I'm not laying down at all (old man's back), but I'm certainly not sitting straight up and I keep my arms close to the body. My jacket and pants are also tight-fitting, so no flapping. I also don't move around a lot. I keep my tires pumped up, and I don't twist the throttle around a bunch, just cruise at the flow of hwy traffic. With the colder weather (down in the low 40's F), I'm now down to 27% battery life. But, I don't live in hell, so I can't imagine what that's like :-).

-s

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2022, 03:51:44 PM »

No way in hell you can get 40 miles at 70 mph on an FXE. 
My commute is 36 miles (round trip), with 34 of that being US Interstate hwy and I'm running 65/70 the entire time and I still have ~30% battery left on my 2022 FXE, pretty consistent for just over 3600 miles now.

But I'm relatively light (170lbs), skinny (34" waist, 40" chest), and short (5'7"). I'm not laying down at all (old man's back), but I'm certainly not sitting straight up and I keep my arms close to the body. My jacket and pants are also tight-fitting, so no flapping. I also don't move around a lot. I keep my tires pumped up, and I don't twist the throttle around a bunch, just cruise at the flow of hwy traffic. With the colder weather (down in the low 40's F), I'm now down to 27% battery life. But, I don't live in hell, so I can't imagine what that's like :-).

-s

Good info.  My bike cuts power output significantly when it approaches 30%.  Are you able to maintain the 65 mph speed towards the end of your commute?

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2022, 12:59:29 AM »

Took a test ride on the (Harley) LiveWire today.  If you have not experienced that machine, seek it out.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2022, 02:07:24 AM »

Took a test ride on the (Harley) LiveWire today.  If you have not experienced that machine, seek it out.
I have and didn't care for it for many reasons.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2022, 02:10:31 AM »

-Don-  Reno, NV

What didn't you care for?

The only complaint I have is how insanely heavy the thing is.  Once underway, feels very good to me.

Was impressed with the acceleration, handling and braking.

The cost is off-putting.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2022, 02:24:35 AM »

1. No reverse.
2. No slow forward park mode.
3. No level two charging.
4. Slow charging even on CCS.
5. Was not comfy to me during a test tide.
6. Too expensive for what you get.
7. No decent luggage available.

If I were going to compare to the Energica Experia, I would have a few more things to add, such as no centerstand available.

IMO, the LW has NOTHING going for it compared to Energica.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

StoneAgeMan

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2022, 02:50:48 AM »

Good info.  My bike cuts power output significantly when it approaches 30%.  Are you able to maintain the 65 mph speed towards the end of your commute?

Interesting, I've not encountered that. My house is 1.2 miles from the hwy (and there's a small hill on the hwy). The lowest I've ever had the battery was at 22% and it was still running 65 up that last "hill". In general, my commute is also relatively level, there are three small hills, one at 380', the other two are only about 300' (~100 meters), so very little elevation change.

I'm running a custom mode, with (I think) two clicks down on the Torque (from Sport) and adding the Regen. I'll check on the exact setting later and can update.

-s

StoneAgeMan

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2022, 02:56:49 AM »

-Don-  Reno, NV

The only complaint I have is how insanely heavy the thing is.  Once underway, feels very good to me.

Was impressed with the acceleration, handling and braking.

The cost is off-putting.
I tried both the old and new Livewire, along with the SR/S, before getting my FXE. What I didn't like about the Livewire (ignoring the cost), was how erratic it got when leaned way over. My test corner for that is a 180 degree freeway on-ramp (that has some bumps in the pavement). The Livewire tire profile is not very round, more of an oval (flatter on the bottom and then curving rapidly). So when I got her right up on that edge, the steering wasn't smooth (a bit wobbly), due to the transition around that edge.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6