• September 27, 2024, 05:19:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Champ School on Energica?  (Read 512 times)

bbribelle

• View Profile
Champ School on Energica?
« on: October 25, 2022, 11:22:01 PM »

Has anyone taken the Yamaha Champ School (2day) on a 21.5 kWh Eva Ribelle?  I only live about 30 miles from the Willow Springs Raceway where the class is being held.  I'm beginning to have track range anxiety and am looking into charging options.  It would be great to know if someone has gone through the class with their Energica and how much charge was used.

The only outlets which may available at the track are standard 120V 15A.  My original intent was to ride the bike down and back assuming there would be enough capacity for the class with whatever topping off I can get from the available outlets.  Trailering the bike down will save the charge getting there and leave me an out if I really run the bike down.

There are DCFC charges about 20 miles away on one of my routes home if I need some charge after the class.

The closest DCFC charger is 10 miles away in the wrong direction. I could run to the close charger during lunch and charge for about 30 minutes. 

Another option I'm considering is renting 240V 30A generator which ads expense and hassle but it may be the best way to go.

Any thoughts?

smithy

• View Profile
Re: Champ School on Energica?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2022, 05:25:40 AM »

Renting a gas powered generator sort of defeats the purpose of an electric vehicle really...but I get where' you're coming from.

There are some of these diesel powered EV charge stations out there..:

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2022, 02:21:14 PM »

Whilst not directly contributing to solving your problem of chargers at Willow Springs, I'm sure you'll find these videos about track days on an Eva Ribelle by NewZeroland interesting - if you haven't seen them already:

Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 05:22:52 PM »

Has anyone taken the Yamaha Champ School (2day) on a 21.5 kWh Eva Ribelle?  I only live about 30 miles from the Willow Springs Raceway where the class is being held.  I'm beginning to have track range anxiety and am looking into charging options.  It would be great to know if someone has gone through the class with their Energica and how much charge was used.

The only outlets which may available at the track are standard 120V 15A.  My original intent was to ride the bike down and back assuming there would be enough capacity for the class with whatever topping off I can get from the available outlets.  Trailering the bike down will save the charge getting there and leave me an out if I really run the bike down.

There are DCFC charges about 20 miles away on one of my routes home if I need some charge after the class.

The closest DCFC charger is 10 miles away in the wrong direction. I could run to the close charger during lunch and charge for about 30 minutes. 

Another option I'm considering is renting 240V 30A generator which ads expense and hassle but it may be the best way to go.

Any thoughts?

When i did a rider skill course this summer, i managed to end the day with 70% battery, charging only 10A@230V between sessions of 15 min each hour.

I dont remember every figure on top of my head, but i know i used more than a full battery during the day, and i charged to almost full during the lunch break. It is entirely possible to have twice my consumption if the track and rider is faster. Id expect the average champ-U student to ride faster than me (it is at least where i live- much more expensive than the course i went to).

One key is easy access. If you need to spend 10-20 minutes each break setting up charging, you will not enjoy your day half as much as if you can just plug the bike in when parking in the pauses. Im very happy that this was solved in my case. Talking to the other participants and crew between riding is half the experience.

If the track has a set up for tire warmers and such, at least have that readied. For a 230V 30A generator, you will probably run it at half capacity. If bringing it is easy id do it. Going electric is not about saving the environment on the first track day. Bringing the bike will surely draw attention enough and showcase what facilities will be expected in the future.

15A @ 120V seems a little underwhelming. I had 10A@230V which is more- but you will likely need more than that. Id much rather get AC between sessions than searching for a DC option (which may be occupied) every other or third run.

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2022, 10:54:08 PM »

Any thoughts?
No experience with this particular class, but I'd call up the school, and ask to speak with an instructor (or get an email address for one). They would know if someone's taken the class on an e-motorcycle before, and even if they're not aware of the specific charging details, might be able to connect you with those former participants for advice.
I suspect that it greatly depends on average speeds / actual riding periods. I do agree with @yhaftig that it would be a bit of a bummer if you need to rush around during the rest/lunch times to top off all the time.

bbribelle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2022, 11:58:32 PM »

I received a reply from a Yamaha Champ school instructor on the Energica Facebook forum.  You do 25 minute classroom sessions followed by 25 minutes of track exercises.  Doing some back of the napkin math there should be plenty of range for the class. 

It was a little hard to find on the Willow Springs web site but they do have RV sites with 120V 30A power that are close to the Streets garage.  I reserved a site for the 2 days of the class to be on the safe side.  Much less expensive than renting a generator but pretty expensive for what amounts to less than $10 worth of electricity.

Using a Tesla Gen 2 portable connector with the appropriate 3rd party NEMA TT-30 plug adapter and a Tesla Tap I should be able to charge the bike at a full 3kW.  I'll post my results after the school.
Pages: [1]