• September 30, 2024, 11:16:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Plug and Charge Capabilities?  (Read 458 times)

MikeL

• View Profile
Plug and Charge Capabilities?
« on: October 11, 2022, 08:17:22 PM »

Now I know this feature is not possible at the moment, but some EV car makers are working with charging companies to make Plug and Charge capabilities a thing. A few have it enabled and I'm sure it will continue to roll out as it makes life easier when charging.

Do you think this feature will come to Energica in the near future? Could this be done with current hardware and a firmware/software update?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 08:48:36 PM by MikeL »

smithy

• View Profile
Re: Plug and Charge Capabilities?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 01:35:22 AM »

Now I know this feature is not possible at the moment, but some EV car makers are working with charging companies to make Plug and Charge capabilities a thing. A few have it enabled and I'm sure it will continue to roll out as it makes life easier when charging.

Do you think this feature will come to Energica in the near future? Could this be done with current hardware and a firmware/software update?

Great question....of course I don't know the answer but it would be nice if it did happen.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2022, 01:42:55 AM »

I don't even know what "plug and charge capabilities" means.  Don't we all "plug and charge" ?

Or does it mean something like the way Tesla does it with their Superchargers?   IOW, no card, no app, no buttons, just plug in and walk away.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MikeL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 01:50:40 AM »

I don't even know what "plug and charge capabilities" means.  Don't we all "plug and charge" ?

Or does it mean something like the way Tesla does it with their Superchargers?   IOW, no card, no app, no buttons, just plug in and walk away.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

Yup, like Tesla. Just plug in and walk away.

Supposedly it's already built into the protocol, but it hasn't really been rolled out in too many vehicles or implemented by many charging companies.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 01:59:36 AM »

Yup, like Tesla. Just plug in and walk away.

Supposedly it's already built into the protocol, but it hasn't really been rolled out in too many vehicles or implemented by many charging companies.
That will be nice if we don't need a different card for every machine. I don't like using the apps, I only do that at Electrify America because they have no card. I hate using their machines.

Tesla's way is the best. But my biggest complaint there is they can only charge Teslas. And they have a lot of their Superchargers where there is nothing else available. Such as at Lake Topaz, NV. A perfect spot for CCS but there is no CCS all the way down to BridgePort, CA.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2022, 02:39:55 AM »

I'm gonna be contrary and say I hate it because it would mean creating an account and agreeing to data sharing.

I'm honestly really sick of the whole charge authorisation conversation, just put a contactless reader on.
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2022, 07:21:36 AM »

I'm gonna be contrary and say I hate it because it would mean creating an account and agreeing to data sharing.
What is the big deal with that?

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2022, 01:04:00 PM »

It's there and it should work, several providers in EU are supporting it. Never tested it though.

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2022, 05:36:02 PM »

Plug and walk would be nice in principle. But from my experience here in Germany I don't see this happening glitch-free every time. So you need to stay to see if charging really starts etc. So, in reality no time-saving.

I am using a single app (elvah) which needs three or four fingertaps. Removing my helmet and gloves  takes me longer than start charging  ;D

Pages: [1]