• September 30, 2024, 09:35:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2023 Energica Ribelle Bad Battery Cell  (Read 652 times)

VirginiaRider

• View Profile
2023 Energica Ribelle Bad Battery Cell
« on: October 09, 2022, 01:03:58 AM »

Picked up my Ribelle in June and experienced 3 shut downs in 3 months due to an undefined fault.  Energica said their tests shows a bad cell, which requires the bike to be shipped back to San Francisco for the repair.  They will remove the battery, open the battery, locate the bad cell and replace.  Then reinstall everything.  Will take several weeks before I get my bike back.  My question is, how reliable is the repair?  Are there other components on that bike that could be affected if not reinstalled per factory specs?  Anyone experienced a bad cell with their battery pack?

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: 2023 Energica Ribelle Bad Battery Cell
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 01:34:51 AM »

Picked up my Ribelle in June and experienced 3 shut downs in 3 months due to an undefined fault.  Energica said their tests shows a bad cell, which requires the bike to be shipped back to San Francisco for the repair.  They will remove the battery, open the battery, locate the bad cell and replace.  Then reinstall everything.  Will take several weeks before I get my bike back.  My question is, how reliable is the repair?  Are there other components on that bike that could be affected if not reinstalled per factory specs?  Anyone experienced a bad cell with their battery pack?
I will assume reliable. All it takes is one bad cell. It happens occasionally. From what I hear, such usually shows up in the warranty period. I have little doubt the bike will be just like new when it comes back from the SSF shop (about a mile from where I used to live).

My Zero DS had a bad cell too, crapped out in around two years. Was good news in my case because they replaced my 6.5 KWH battery with a 7.2 KWH battery.

But I have no idea why a bad cell will cause an unexpected shutdown. Did you have errors, or a sudden low battery indication or any other sign of an issue besides the shutdown?

I am sure Energica will take good care of your bike and check it out well before they return it to you. I never heard anybody complain about their service (unlike Zero!!!).

-Don-   Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

VirginiaRider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 02:08:38 AM »

It shut down with an immediate undefined fault message at 85% SOC, 90%SOC and 45% SOC.  On the third shut down, got a limp mode message as well until I was able to get to a charging station.  I hear Energica has a good reputation with taking care of their owners and I’m sure it’s true.  I just have an uneasy feeling with new technology.  Comes with early adoption I suppose.

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2022, 05:35:04 AM »

I had a very similar issue. A few random shutdowns and my bike has issues fast charging above 60%.

Anyway my dealer sent it to Energica in SSF and the bike came back like new.

VirginiaRider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2022, 07:08:24 AM »

Thanks.  I feel much better now.  How long did the whole process take, from when the bike got shipped out to its return?  When did this happen?

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2022, 08:41:47 AM »

It was a few months back. I have a 2022 Ribelle.

The bike sat at the dealer for a while, once Energica picked it up or probably took a month or so maybe less. I think it depends how slammed they are with other stuff and how fast you can get it there. 
Pages: [1]