• October 21, 2024, 04:54:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Must read to understand how to best charge your Zero battery  (Read 2220 times)

Moto7575

• City rider
  • Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022
    • View Profile
Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022

MVetter

• View Profile
Re: Must read to understand how to best charge your Zero battery
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 03:00:09 AM »

To save the people who aren't as technically minded, this is all stuff we already knew. For best practices, try to keep your battery above 20% and below 80% SoC for any extended periods of time. It's ok to charge to full and bring it down to empty, but try to burn it down below 80 or charge it back above 20 as soon as possible. Don't store it full or empty in a hot environment, as this accelerates degradation. This is no surprise because the batteries are all chemical reactions, and heat makes things react more 'cause it's all excited and whatnot.

You should also know that the cells in Zero's bikes are already soft-capped, voltage-wise. They mention in the article as 4.2vdc being the 100% value. Zero's cap is 4.157vdc, so automatically they are increasing the longevity of the cell with those parameters.

wadejesu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 05:28:49 AM »

I just want to know if it will hurt anything if I ride it daily and when finished plug it in and leave it till am. which means it would still be plugged for 6-8 hours after it's fully charged.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 07:09:30 AM »

I just want to know if it will hurt anything if I ride it daily and when finished plug it in and leave it till am. which means it would still be plugged for 6-8 hours after it's fully charged.

You will almost certainly see a longer life out of your battery if you set the charge target to like 80%. If you need the full 100% for your commute you could then tell it to top up as soon as you wake up then do your morning routine as it finishes.

However that's just a pain in the ass in practice and will quickly make you more likely to resent your bike. So while I'd say you're not actively hurting it, you could probably get more than what Zero advertises if you cap it at 80%.

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 09:18:03 AM »

I installed a 2”x4” electrical J-box in-line on a charge cord.
I put a 0-6hr spring wound timer in the box & figured 10% SOC/hr or charging. 

This worked pretty well but I improved it by installing a slightly oversized plastic/water resistant electrical box & crammed in a 0-4hr spring wound timer as well as a (pre-selected 3hr electric timer.
Via a DPDT toggle switch I can configure for 0-4hr, 0-7hr, or continuous charge.
I also fabricated a short cord leaving this project box & installed a right angled plug that is inserted into the bikes charge port so I never have to unplug it, just the male plug into the wall socket. 
I limit my SOC to 70% for my daily commute. 
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

Moto7575

• City rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2022, 11:43:25 AM »

Not really : the curve on ideal state of charge tells that 75-65 is optimal, informations are structured and fact based. To be fair one analysis is missing : what is the best charging cycle per kilometer - taking twice the number of cycles to age if you do half the number of kilometers per cycle is not really interesting !

To save the people who aren't as technically minded, this is all stuff we already knew. For best practices, try to keep your battery above 20% and below 80% SoC for any extended periods of time. It's ok to charge to full and bring it down to empty, but try to burn it down below 80 or charge it back above 20 as soon as possible. Don't store it full or empty in a hot environment, as this accelerates degradation. This is no surprise because the batteries are all chemical reactions, and heat makes things react more 'cause it's all excited and whatnot.

You should also know that the cells in Zero's bikes are already soft-capped, voltage-wise. They mention in the article as 4.2vdc being the 100% value. Zero's cap is 4.157vdc, so automatically they are increasing the longevity of the cell with those parameters.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 11:46:07 AM by Moto7575 »

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2022, 11:54:54 AM »

You will almost certainly see a longer life out of your battery if you set the charge target to like 80%. .
How are the cells ever going to balance?

And why does Energica say right on the screen to let it finish charging when you're at ~80% SOC?

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2022, 12:07:28 PM »

Do a balance charge every other month or so.

And why does Energica say right on the screen to let it finish charging when you're at ~80% SOC?

Clearly you haven't read it. It's pure Google Translate Italian. I can't remember the exact wording off the top of my head but it's something like, "In order to enable balance sequence it is suggested to do not disconnect..."

How it *should* read is more along the lines of, "If you would like the batteries to balance, we suggest you do not disconnect..."

Moto7575

• City rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2022, 01:15:50 PM »

Do zero balance if you keep it connected at 80% ?
Also what is you view on the optimal cycle (60-75 for small commuter as myself seem better than 20-80)?

Do a balance charge every other month or so.

Clearly you haven't read it. It's pure Google Translate Italian. I can't remember the exact wording off the top of my head but it's something like, "In order to enable balance sequence it is suggested to do not disconnect..."

How it *should* read is more along the lines of, "If you would like the batteries to balance, we suggest you do not disconnect..."

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2022, 01:45:03 PM »

Last I checked Zero bikes entered a balance sequence above 110vdc aka ~80%.

As far as your second question, the closer you can keep the pack overall to about 50% the happier it will be. If you can keep it almost always between 40-60% then oh my god it will last exponentially longer than someone who is delving significantly deeper into the pack.

Moto7575

• City rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2022, 02:50:21 PM »

Thanks a lot ! Do you have a study supporting this and comparing many charge cycle options ? I would like to know what i save to see if it is woth doing it !

Last I checked Zero bikes entered a balance sequence above 110vdc aka ~80%.

As far as your second question, the closer you can keep the pack overall to about 50% the happier it will be. If you can keep it almost always between 40-60% then oh my god it will last exponentially longer than someone who is delving significantly deeper into the pack.

wadejesu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2022, 06:35:46 PM »

If you have an FXS 70-80% is not going to get you very far, that's only about 40 miles vs 60 at 100%

T.S. Zarathustra

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2022, 09:02:47 PM »

Thanks a lot ! Do you have a study supporting this and comparing many charge cycle options ? I would like to know what i save to see if it is woth doing it !

Cycle count is irrelevant if it's lacking information on how big/long the cycle is. It depends on the exact battery chemistry, and how long you store the battery at each extreme.
Loose rule of thumb is that with 0-100% charge cycles (no pauses) you'll be lucky to get 100 cycles out of the battery. 20-80% you should get up to 1000 cycles. 40-60% maybe 5000 cycles.
If you discharge new battery to 0%, and store over winter, you will likely not be able to charge it again. So, the battery can be dead at zero cycles.

Time/age is also a big factor. Even under best conditions a 10 year old battery is an old battery with limited lifetime left.

The reason for this is that at 0% (and 100%) the chemicals inside the cells reacts and self destructs fast. The aim is to keep the battery at state of charge where that damage is low/slow. 20-80% is a good example of mostly safe state of charge. It is worth noting that the voltage at 0% and 100% charge is chosen by manufacturers because at that point the rate of damage starts to rise rapidly and the chemistry becomes unstable. i.e. risk of battery fire.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2022, 09:50:30 PM »

If you have an FXS 70-80% is not going to get you very far, that's only about 40 miles vs 60 at 100%

And that's the primary reason I never even considered an FX-series bike.  I would've stayed with the "S" until Zero inexplicably decided the US would only get that model with the 7.2kWh battery DESPITE still selling the 14.4kWh version in Europe...
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2022, 10:20:31 PM »

I mean... you can literally cite tables 2 and 4 from the original study you linked for confirmation. Just apply the data to a Zero pouch and extrapolate that into pack values. For example, in Table 4, take any of the cell voltage values and multiply them by 28, because Zero packs are in a 28S configuration.

4.2 x 28 = 117.6 <-- this is beyond Zero's allowed voltage. They soft cap their cells at 4.157vdc
4.15 x 28 = 116.2 <-- basically 98% on a Zero
3.9 x 28 = 109.2 <-- ~79% on a Zero
3.65 x 28 = 102.2 <-- 50% on a Zero
all the way down to
3.39 x 28 = 94.92 <-- empty Zero
Pages: [1] 2 3