• September 28, 2024, 11:17:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Gearing Change Impacts  (Read 1244 times)

MoneyFor

• View Profile
    • My Current Bikes
Re: Gearing Change Impacts
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2022, 09:28:19 PM »

Not really, the bike has more than enough torque that you can hardly apply anywhere during a "normal" ride.   But keep in mind that I only use the Energica
as a toy and always want to get the top speed out, I notice the difference in acceleration but the gain in top speed is worth more to me.
Click HERE here to see my current bikes.

My current bikes:

2003 - HD  Hugger
2016 - Honda GL 1800
2018 - HD  Fat Boy
2019 - HD  Street Bob
2020 - Energica Ribelle
2021 - KTM Superduke 1290R
2022 - HD Street Glide Special

flynnstig82r

• Just another lanesplitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2022, 12:48:41 AM »

I’m about to have a 41T put on the rear as well but for the opposite reason as MoneyFor (nothing): eeking out a few extra miles of range and correcting the speedo. I’ll report back in a few weeks.
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 AE

Past bikes:
2020 Energica SS9 13.4 kWh
2017 Zero SR 13.0 kWh
2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring
2016 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce 800
2012 Yamaha FZ6R

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2022, 01:00:58 AM »

I’m about to have a 41T put on the rear as well but for the opposite reason as MoneyFor (nothing): eeking out a few extra miles of range and correcting the speedo. I’ll report back in a few weeks.

Keep us posted. Thinking of doing the same eventually. Would be nice to have the speedo read closer to actual. If the only side effect is a bit better range, even better!

BorS

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2022, 04:01:21 PM »

Why do you think there will be extra miles  :-\   the bike still has the same air- resistance when driving, that is the main force that the motor must overcome.   That does not change.  The electromotor does not really care if that is with a slightly lower rpm.   
I think it is  wishful thinking that the rance will improve.

flynnstig82r

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2022, 09:53:19 PM »

Lower motor RPM’s, perhaps closer to the motor’s most efficient point on the RPM range. The only report I’ve seen from someone who’s actually done it said he gets up to 10% extra range in warm weather. Most people have said it won’t matter, but none of them were speaking from experience. I’m skeptical of the 10% figure, as that seems high to me, but I’ll know if there’s a difference. The Wh/mi from Davis to San Francisco is pretty consistent except on days with high wind, so I can say it helped if I make it to the charging stop in Richmond with more than 10% SoC.
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 AE

Past bikes:
2017 Zero SR 13.0 kWh
2012 Yamaha FZ6R

tunafish_phd

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2022, 09:29:17 AM »

Dumb question for how invested I am at this point… what bolt pattern is the Ribelle for the rear sprocket? Nothing seems to match up

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2022, 02:11:35 AM »

Dumb question for how invested I am at this point… what bolt pattern is the Ribelle for the rear sprocket? Nothing seems to match up

Standard racing 5 bolt pattern. Uses the same as Marchesini wheels.

tunafish_phd

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2022, 02:59:38 AM »

Thank you!

BorS

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2022, 03:43:07 PM »

Lower motor RPM’s, perhaps closer to the motor’s most efficient point on the RPM range. .
I don't think this is an thing with an E-motor. Torgue is constant from 0 rpm.
But I am curious at the outcome of you test.

flynnstig82r

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2022, 01:46:10 AM »

It's not about torque, it's about the motor's efficiency curve, which peaks at a certain RPM and then falls off. Energica has engineered these bikes to be about having fun in the twisties as the first priority, so it's possible that the Interstate cruising RPM is beyond the motor's efficient range and that the gearing change would bring it closer.
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 AE

Past bikes:
2017 Zero SR 13.0 kWh
2012 Yamaha FZ6R

tunafish_phd

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2022, 02:39:38 AM »

It's not about torque, it's about the motor's efficiency curve, which peaks at a certain RPM and then falls off. Energica has engineered these bikes to be about having fun in the twisties as the first priority, so it's possible that the Interstate cruising RPM is beyond the motor's efficient range and that the gearing change would bring it closer.

I'll find out here in a couple days! Will go out on a known distance loop involving highways, in urban mode, perhaps 50-60 miles using my current gearing, change sprockets out then repeat, charging between and writing down batt% and average mileage estimates. I know its not perfect, but if I make an honest effort to drive similarly, perhaps we'll get at least one data point.

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2022, 09:19:34 AM »

No range improvement expected because power required is the same for same motoring conditions.

Regen will have biggest range impact so suggest (4) runs total w/ RegenLow and RegenHigh adders perhaps?

Note, not suggesting no-regen because that isn't safe but it's the better control condition for the comparative being made...anyway, paying attention to the speedo correction experiment...good stuff.

BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

tunafish_phd

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2022, 09:11:44 PM »

No range improvement expected because power required is the same for same motoring conditions.

Regen will have biggest range impact so suggest (4) runs total w/ RegenLow and RegenHigh adders perhaps?

Note, not suggesting no-regen because that isn't safe but it's the better control condition for the comparative being made...anyway, paying attention to the speedo correction experiment...good stuff.

What do you mean no Regen isn't safe? I haven't run regen since I first got the bike. Being able to coast is wonderful, and in certain conditions can actually give you more range than using regen. All of my testing will be ran without it since that simulates my normal driving condition.

Day Trippin

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2022, 12:20:41 AM »

Interesting to read that Energica uses the speedometer reading to limit the top speed. One of the reasons I was considering the Energica over others was the top speed advantage. The speedo error would tend to negate its advantage on anything other than the Ego.

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2022, 01:10:35 AM »

What do you mean no Regen isn't safe? I haven't run regen since I first got the bike. Being able to coast is wonderful, and in certain conditions can actually give you more range than using regen. All of my testing will be ran without it since that simulates my normal driving condition.

Okay, riding styles differ, sorry about that - sounds like you like the free wheel effect - heavy dependence on regen here when one rides like they stole it and that's why the impact to range was mentioned.  Never mind, carry on...
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)
Pages: 1 [2] 3