• September 28, 2024, 11:19:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Gearing Change Impacts  (Read 1246 times)

Dryer667

• View Profile
Gearing Change Impacts
« on: August 14, 2022, 10:55:44 PM »

I just put down a deposit on a Esseesse9+ RS so kicking off the delivery countdown (I have been told Dec/Jan). We will see.

In the meantime, what have folks noticed about the impacts of gearing change on both range and speedo accuracy? I went for the RS just because but am wondering about the impacts of the drop in front sprocket teeth. I have been riding for 20 years and changed gearing many times on IC bikes but Id love to learn more about how gearing changes impact efficiency on a EV.

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
Re: Gearing Change Impacts
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 05:06:47 AM »

Congrats on pulling the trigger on a EsseEsse9!

Regarding final drive ratios. Electric motors have a wider RPM range (compared to ICE) where they are most efficient, small changes to the gearing ratio will not have a massive impact on range. The motor is only spinning a few hundred RPM more with a 15 tooth front sprocket (RS) vs the standard bikes 16 tooth. However the acceleration difference is quite noticeable on the RS models. I can confirm that large changes to the gearing ratio will result in a noticeable change in range. I swapped the stock 16/44 sprockets on a 13.4kWh EGO to 15/50. Motor speed at 70mph increased by around 2,000 RPM which would equate to ~100mph with stock gearing. Range dropped by about 20%.

There are changes in software to account for the gearing adjustment of the RS bike. Please note that changing the gear ratio to something other than stock will result in an inaccurate calculation of the bikes speed.

Dryer667

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 08:47:21 AM »

Thanks for the info and congrats; its very helpful!

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 09:41:22 PM »

Please note that changing the gear ratio to something other than stock will result in an inaccurate calculation of the bikes speed.

Any updates on firmware fixes to address the stock bikes' already inaccurate speedometer? I and others here have already confirmed the speedometer is 10% high at freeway speeds. It's the only reason I use a GPS on my bike...to know how fast I'm really cruising down the freeway.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 10:45:00 PM »

I am another GPS user because the speedometer is so inaccurate. It's nice to look down and see your speed without calculating the 10% error in the bike's speedometer. Energica claims the top speed on the Ribelle is 125 MPH but it is only 112 MPH once you factor in the 10% error. But there should be a gearing change that will make the speedometer more accurate. Smaller sprocket in back with stock front?

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 11:20:19 PM »

Energica claims the top speed on the Ribelle is 125 MPH but it is only 112 MPH once you factor in the 10% error.

I didn't even think about this aspect of the speedometer being so far off on the stock bikes. Makes me sad we're not getting the advertised top speed due to this.  :(
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

tunafish_phd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 12:01:05 AM »

I've been thinking of going from a 15 tooth to a 16 tooth front on my Ribelle RS.

Since the speedo reading is coming from the motor, a larger front sprocket would mean the motor is spinning slower to get the same speed, In my head that might equate to a closer reading. Maybe not 10%, but perhaps closer?

Someone yell at me if I've got that backwards.

wadejesu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2022, 01:52:19 AM »

Do these bikes have a tach?

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2022, 03:06:15 AM »

Yes, it is digital.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2022, 06:03:22 AM »

I am another GPS user because the speedometer is so inaccurate. It's nice to look down and see your speed without calculating the 10% error in the bike's speedometer. Energica claims the top speed on the Ribelle is 125 MPH but it is only 112 MPH once you factor in the 10% error. But there should be a gearing change that will make the speedometer more accurate. Smaller sprocket in back with stock front?
If they claim the bike can go 125 MPH, it should mean the speedometer will then read 137.5 mph when you're really going 125.0 MPH.

I think all European motorcycles read quite high. Unlike Zero and HD and American made bikes.

Perhaps because of the speed cameras in Europe that they don't use here in the USA. They are trying to do you a favor, IMO, but they overdo it. While I would prefer accuracy, it's not a big deal to me. But I do have a GPS in every bike I own. Very important with electric bikes, IMO. I set my GPS for "shortest route" and "freeway okay" on my electrics. And I have a separate directory for "CCS charge" and "J-charge" that I keep updated from Plugshare.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2022, 01:37:02 PM »

The speedometer tops out at 125, doesn't go any higher than that so yes, max speed is really just 112 MPH per GPS.

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2022, 04:57:38 PM »

The 10 % appear constant through at least the speed range of 20 - 130 kph (GPS and radar tested), so there's a factor of 1.1 somewhere inside the software.

Please also refer to Hans' Blog, where he adresses this: https://fotoleer.wordpress.com/2022/05/11/these-are-3-ble-values-that-energica-doesnt-want-you-to-see/

Interestingly, this +10 % is the maximum deviation allowed for speedometers by the EU law (EU regulation R39; a negative deviation is forbidden). Energica seems to play it very safe.

To my knowledge, the speed is not calculated by the motor revolutions but from a sensor on the front wheel. Might be the same one that is used for the ABS.
BTW: This sensor is also used for the kilometer gauge which according to German law (§57 No.3 StVZO), which must be the same as in all EU, has to have a relatively high accuracy (max. +/- 4 %).

So, changing the gear ratio should not change the speed reading. Changing front tyre dimensions would.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 05:22:51 PM by jotjotde »

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2022, 07:33:13 PM »

If they claim the bike can go 125 MPH, it should mean the speedometer will then read 137.5 mph when you're really going 125.0 MPH.

I think all European motorcycles read quite high. Unlike Zero and HD and American made bikes.

Perhaps because of the speed cameras in Europe that they don't use here in the USA. They are trying to do you a favor, IMO, but they overdo it. While I would prefer accuracy, it's not a big deal to me. But I do have a GPS in every bike I own. Very important with electric bikes, IMO. I set my GPS for "shortest route" and "freeway okay" on my electrics. And I have a separate directory for "CCS charge" and "J-charge" that I keep updated from Plugshare.

Having owned a number of BMW motorcycles, I had the same impression about European speedometer accuracy as you, Don. However, I was surprised to see that my 2020 KTM Duke 390's speedometer reads just 1 mph fast at all speeds. Perhaps being manufactured in India makes a difference.  ??? My 2018 Zero also reads 1 mph fast, BTW. Of course, ticket-dispensing speed cameras in the U.S. are extremely rare. What we see here are speed-check cameras that you can use to verify your top speed - providing that you are not exceeding their 99 mph two-digit capacity.  ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MoneyFor

• View Profile
    • My Current Bikes
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2022, 08:52:10 PM »

To my knowledge, the speed is not calculated by the motor revolutions but from a sensor on the front wheel. Might be the same one that is used for the ABS.
BTW: This sensor is also used for the kilometer gauge which according to German law (§57 No.3 StVZO), which must be the same as in all EU, has to have a relatively high accuracy (max. +/- 4 %).

So, changing the gear ratio should not change the speed reading. Changing front tyre dimensions would.

Sorry to prove you wrong, this speed thing enoys me from the start, the only reason why I bought the Energica was the promissed topspeed from 200km/u in real live and not
some figuires in the dash. I don't care how much the tacho indicates too much 10, 20, even 30% :) as long as the actual promised top speed could be achieved.
I swapped the rear sprocket to 41 and 42 tooth for testing, it make a change in the topspeed, a 41 let the Ribelle do real +200km/u on gps so nothing to do with sensors in the
front wheel.
Click HERE here to see my current bikes.

My current bikes:

2003 - HD  Hugger
2016 - Honda GL 1800
2018 - HD  Fat Boy
2019 - HD  Street Bob
2020 - Energica Ribelle
2021 - KTM Superduke 1290R
2022 - HD Street Glide Special

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2022, 04:32:27 AM »

MoneyFor,

When you went to a 41 tooth rear sprocket how noticeable was the decrease in acceleration?
Pages: [1] 2 3