• September 28, 2024, 06:13:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: BRP's Can-Am bikes are back and battery powered  (Read 1098 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
BRP's Can-Am bikes are back and battery powered
« on: August 08, 2022, 07:39:18 PM »

BRP's Can-Am bikes are back. This time electrified and will be introduced to the market sometime in 2024. I note that BRP is not asking for investors or crowd financing. Who knew you could introduce a new electric motorcycle without begging for investors   ::) : https://thepack.news/newsflash-brp-pushes-forward-with-ev-plan-revealing-all-electric-can-am-motorcycles/
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: BRP's Can-Am bikes are back and battery powered
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 07:43:54 PM »

Looks like someone on the design team had a straight edge ruler and wasn't afraid to use it.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 08:11:07 PM »

Looks like someone on the design team had a straight edge ruler and wasn't afraid to use it.

They must've borrowed the one KTM uses...
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 09:01:49 PM »

They must've borrowed the one KTM uses...

;D

I found the comment mentioned in the attached video that the motor was apparently developed and supplied by Rotax.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 12:16:37 AM »

Call me weird but I kind of like the look of the street bike. I'm just guessing but the street bike looks kind of small which leads me to believe these will be short range city focused bikes. Then again if the price is right, that may not matter.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 12:45:23 AM »

The fully enclosed drive train is interesting. Looks like the motor is mounted right up close to the rear tyre on the swingarm, doesn't look like there's any room for a gearbox so the gearing might be quite close to 1:1. Leaves more room in the frame for the battery as well, it's hard to judge with all the plastic crap covering everything but I wouldn't be surprised if they could fit something like Zero's 14.4 in there.

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 03:57:13 AM »

https://www.rotax-kart.com/en/Products/Electric-Powertrain/60-Rotax-E20

Presumably the 24kW motor mentioned here. Which is OK. 350V so maybe DCFC compatible too. I like the look of both of them - quite Husqvarnery.

Cas :)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2022, 06:14:18 AM »

Here is a link to Motorcycle.com's take on the new Can-Am electric motorcycle prototypes. I like the idea of the enclosed rear drive, which could be a belt: https://www.motorcycle.com/new-model-preview/2024-can-am-origin-and-pulse-electric-prototypes-first-look.html

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2022, 05:26:28 PM »

The patent drawing gives a better idea of what it could be. I see now that the area that I thought contained the motor could contain a reduction gear. Might make a nice sound.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2022, 07:39:56 PM »

Well, that certainly looks like a belt drive in that drawing. And with a Buell-type of belt tensioner, no less.  :)  But I wonder how they plan to keep that little drive gear and the big driven gear lubricated if they are sharing the belt case? You would think they would want to seal that area off somehow (I have no idea how that might be done) and run those gears in oil to make them last. (Hopefully, the gears will be made from steel and not self-lubricating plastic.  :o  )  Or they could change the belt drive to a chain drive and make everything run in oil. That would be the smart thing to do. (IMHO)

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2022, 08:14:43 PM »

That's a good point. Interestingly the patent drawing looks to have a fitting on top of the housing, possibly for lubrication. The renders of the final bikes have slightly differently shaped housings and no fitting. There is a bulge in the outer housing which could be the location for the tensioner, but I suppose that could be required even if it's chain drive.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2024, 03:24:30 AM »

Can-Am is still trying to develop their electric motorcycle prototype. But when will it be offered for sale to the public? And what will it cost? Or are they just trolling for investors? I say good luck to them, but introducing a new electric motorcycle right now does not seem like a winning idea:

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2024, 06:46:12 AM »

I mean, it looks great ... like, really very stylish and cool looking ... they just need to innovate on the three problems that EV bikes have to be successful: price, charging, range, in that order. It has to be measurably better than any of the competition in at least two of those areas. If it at least matches the DSR/X and Experia in all three though it'll be ok. There's not a lot of choice out there.

Cas :)
Pages: [1]