• September 27, 2024, 06:16:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help! Ribelle not working anymore  (Read 2966 times)

jotjotde

• View Profile
Help! Ribelle not working anymore
« on: July 26, 2022, 11:29:36 AM »

Hi folks!

This morning I wanted to take my brand new Ribelle to work. After turning the key it read

Undefined fault: Contact Service

Then the screen went black and the bike was off again.  >:( >:( >:(

Tried it 5-6 times - same message, the bike remained dead.

On Sunday I AC charged it to 100 % and used it yesterday for commuting to work. Put it into the garage with no error messages and didn't touch it until this morning.

Is there anything I could do besides calling Service and trying to get my blood pressure down?

Thanks and regards,
Jay

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: Help! Ribelle not working anymore
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 11:56:46 AM »

Hi folks!

This morning I wanted to take my brand new Ribelle to work. After turning the key it read

Undefined fault: Contact Service

Then the screen went black and the bike was off again.  >:( >:( >:(

Tried it 5-6 times - same message, the bike remained dead.

On Sunday I AC charged it to 100 % and used it yesterday for commuting to work. Put it into the garage with no error messages and didn't touch it until this morning.

Is there anything I could do besides calling Service and trying to get my blood pressure down?

Thanks and regards,
Jay
You can try to reset the Vehicle Control Unit (VCU):

With the bike on press and hold the center mode button and the set button on the back of the left control. Hold these till the screen goes black and the bike will restart.

Let me know if that does anything for you.

-Don-  Reno, NV
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 12:01:43 PM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 12:01:20 PM »

Hi Don!
Many thanks for the quick reply! You get 5 stars from me  :D
I'm currently at work but I will definitely try this when I'm back home.
I will have to act quick though, because after displaying the message for about 10 sec the bike shuts down again.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 12:17:28 PM »

I will have to act quick though, because after displaying the message for about 10 sec the bike shuts down again.
I am not sure if that is good or bad news. The VCU reboot also takes 10 seconds. I just timed it on a watch as I rebooted mine.

But the fact that it takes 10 seconds could also mean the VCU is the issue that can be corrected. Perhaps that 10 seconds with the buttons pressed in (top in front <mode> bottom on back <set>)will be delayed when you press those buttons in.

I am not sure if it will help you or not, but it certainly is worth a try. And it is a procedure all Energica owners should know about anyway. It can clear some weird bugs.

-Don-  Reno, NV
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 12:41:55 PM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2022, 12:31:09 PM »

So this is for Energicas what the Ctrl+Alt+Del for Microsoft is? Good to know!

A service guy of my dealer just called and asked for a video which I fortunately made this morning.
He wants to send it to Energica because apparently he is not sure what to do.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 12:39:43 PM »

So this is for Energicas what the Ctrl+Alt+Del for Microsoft is? Good to know!

A service guy of my dealer just called and asked for a video which I fortunately made this morning.
He wants to send it to Energica because apparently he is not sure what to do.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!
Yep. Our bikes are just a computer on wheels!  And when you have an issue, reboot before trying anything else.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2022, 05:44:35 PM »

UPDATE (but alas no solution)

Using my lunch break, I went home (by car ::)) and tried the resetting, but to no avail  :-\

I think I tried every permutation possible, holding the switces while powering up, while showing the error, after confirming the error, holding it for half a minute, whatever...
Still the bike shuts down after 5 sec (so I was misjudging, saying that period is about 10 sec), after that it's dead.

Connected to a charger, the bike powers up, displays the error message and then black screen again (charging never starts).

Looking into the manual: For the red triangle there are only two reasons named:
- Battery completely drained. Charge the motorcycle as soon as possible.
- There is a fault in the motorcycle. For safety reasons, the input and output power of the battery pack (motor, AC/DC charging deactivated) are physically disconnected in the event of a fault.
'Physically disconnected' makes me thinking 'kill switch'. The safety philosophy behind this is problably: Because anything which is not known could maybe kill someone, a kill switch is activated.

There is a 4-month-old post on Reddit in the Energica group of a guy with exactly the same problem, but unfortunately no update about what went wrong or how the fault was fixed.

Dealer called me just some minutes ago to tell me, he had no gotten any answer of Energica and most probably they will not answer today.
So, I am sitting here at work quitely fuming and thinking about a two-weeks-old 30k premium bike sitting in my garage and not even usable as a reading lamp >:(.

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2022, 06:34:56 PM »

Give Energica a little time to get back to you, they're in Italy. They have a reputation for being really good at aftersales care, especially when it comes to issues with their bikes.
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2022, 09:25:09 PM »

UPDATE (but alas no solution)

Using my lunch break, I went home (by car ::) ) and tried the resetting, but to no avail  :-\

I think I tried every permutation possible, holding the switces while powering up, while showing the error, after confirming the error, holding it for half a minute, whatever...
Still the bike shuts down after 5 sec (so I was misjudging, saying that period is about 10 sec), after that it's dead.
That's a bummer! When you do find out the cause, be sure to report back here.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2022, 10:04:10 PM »

If you're in Europe, and it seems like you may be, I would probably have a sense of urgency solely because Italy takes the month of August off. And it's the end of July right now.

Day Trippin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2022, 01:59:32 AM »

This is an interesting thread to follow. Especially since a Ribelle was one of the top bikes on my list. Forum wisdom here says the bikes are very well put together and after sales support is very good. Nice to know they shut down in August as well.

Hopefully this will get sorted shortly but exactly the kind of thing I was worried about as the nearest dealer would be 4 hours minimum away from me.

Good luck jotjotde! Let us know how it turns out.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2022, 04:54:05 AM »

Hopefully this will get sorted shortly but exactly the kind of thing I was worried about as the nearest dealer would be 4 hours minimum away from me.
But I think such issues are rather rare. I have been in enough vehicle forums to realize every vehicle made seems rather unreliable online, regardless of make and model.  It's just that in these forums, we mainly hear about problems. Not many get online to say I have owned my (whatever make and model) for 20 years without a single issue.

I have had one issue with my SS9, the fan for the AC charger crapped out during warranty, plus a weird bug at the same time, but I replaced the fan myself. I often fix stuff myself, even during the warranty periods and at my own cost. That is usually easier than dealing with the shops.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2022, 10:26:37 AM »

Sorry to hear about the issue.

Can you go to the Vehicle status page and retrieve the fault codes?
Hold the mode switch to the right for ~5 seconds to access the menus
Scroll down to "Service" and then "Vehicle status"
There should be a code at the bottom of the page. Make sure you scroll right as there may be more than 1 code.

This will help me and or your dealer isolate the issue and make suggestions on how to correct it.

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2022, 02:15:29 PM »

Hi all and thanks for your kind words and participation  :-*.

I will surely keep you posted, but up to now, no news.

Because the screen goes black & bike shutdown after 5 seconds displaying the fault message, I cannot access the fault codes. Tried it with the app, but Bluetooth connection takes too long to establish so I cannot see faults there either.

Considering this shutting down with ignition key in ON position, I think it is rather a major software fault. There is no logical reason to shut down the bike that way, regardless how serious a fault might be. So in my eyes that is per se a malfunction.
What really bugs me is that this happened suddenly without obvious cause. It was not after I charged, changed settings, accessed the menu, used the app or something.
Simply rode the bike and switched it off. Next morning - bam!

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2022, 03:00:32 PM »

Sorry to hear about the issue.

Can you go to the Vehicle status page and retrieve the fault codes?
Hold the mode switch to the right for ~5 seconds to access the menus
Scroll down to "Service" and then "Vehicle status"
There should be a code at the bottom of the page. Make sure you scroll right as there may be more than 1 code.

This will help me and or your dealer isolate the issue and make suggestions on how to correct it.

Hi Demoni, thanks for your help.
Here's a vid showing you that the time span is too short for accessing the fault log. Sorry for the bad quality!

Maybe this helps you: I just found on Reddit (r/EnergicaMotorcycles): A user (u/puppetz91) had the same problem about 4 months ago.
Quote:
'It's an PSU error where power from the battery is not converted correctly to supply the power to the other systems.
They changed a faulty batch of psu before delivery but this did not completely solve the problem, they now updated
the bike with an update that solves the issue.'
End of Quote
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 03:13:23 PM by jotjotde »
Pages: [1] 2