• September 27, 2024, 07:24:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Charging for Dummies  (Read 1717 times)

wadejesu

• View Profile
Charging for Dummies
« on: July 10, 2022, 11:20:26 PM »

I'm new to battery powered bikes , don't have a Ribelle yet, seen a ton of videos on charging that show how to connect to bike, But what is at the other end of cable? Does bike come with some sort of AC wall plug, Is there a home Fast charge unit that can be purchased? I guess the Energica's have a CCS1 connector. I have seen chargers on ebay for around 400 USD that have J1772 and CCS1, not sure if they will work. What is Level 1, 2 , 3 charging.

Any insite would be appreciated

MikeL

• View Profile
Re: Charging for Dummies
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 01:42:06 AM »

I'm new to battery powered bikes , don't have a Ribelle yet, seen a ton of videos on charging that show how to connect to bike, But what is at the other end of cable? Does bike come with some sort of AC wall plug, Is there a home Fast charge unit that can be purchased? I guess the Energica's have a CCS1 connector. I have seen chargers on ebay for around 400 USD that have J1772 and CCS1, not sure if they will work. What is Level 1, 2 , 3 charging.

Any insite would be appreciated

Energica motorcycles can utilize all 3 charging levels, Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3.

First thing is plugs, J1772 (Level 1 and 2) and CCS1 (Level 3). CCS1 has a J1772 built in. This allows you to use only the J1772 aspect on your motorcycle. J1772 is Level 1 and 2 Charging. CCS1 is Level 3 charging. When you use CCS1 you are using both the J1772 port (for communication) and the lower DC pins for power (at least the way I understand it). CCS stands for Combined Charging System.

Level 1 is like your home wall outlet. AC Power. Max power is roughly ~1kw. Slowest available. A level 1 charge cord will have a standard electrical cord plug on one end, and a J1772 plug on the other. The J1772 plug is what goes into the bike. You might travel with this cord just in case.. it's basically an extension cord with a J1772 plug at the end.

Level 2 requires a higher level power source, but like level 1 is AC power. J1772 plug going into your bike again. Max power to the Energica's at this time is ~3kw, as that is built in chargers max. Think your home electric clothes dryer or electric hot water heater in your home. Home level 2 charging often involves a wall mounted charge box. The charging cable for level 2 (if at home) will either have to be hard wired to your electrical box by an electrician or if you have a standard NEMA 14-50 outlet (or similar NEMA style plug) you can plug your wall charger to it. The cable coming off your wall charge box will have a J1772 plug that goes into your bike. You can get wall chargers for ~$400 + installation by an electrician. You will need to verify your electrical box can handle the additional power draw as well. Older homes might be maxed out on power and would require a panel upgrade (not cheap but not crazy expensive.. think ~$2-4k probably?) Level 2 chargers are plentiful in the wild, the have the J1772 plug and lots of shops/municipal parking/etc have ChargePoint or other public chargers. These wild level 2 chargers often have a fee to use them but can be free in some circumstances. Either way you usually need an account with whatever network is operating the device to utilize them. They do make 'mobile' level 2 chargers which are sometimes a bit more bulky and this is generally used for charging at an RV park. RV Parks often have NEMA outlets with high power output.

Level 3 is DC Fast Charging. This is not an option for home. This is your CCS1 plug. These are the chargers you see at WalMarts and off freeways. The max charge rate for Energica's at a DC Fast Charger is roughly ~24kw. When DC Fast Charging, the charger on your bike is not utilized.

DC Fast Charging and Tesla Supercharger (since this comes up). Tesla Superchargers are DC Fast Chargers, but the plug is proprietary to Tesla. Meaning it won't work on non-tesla vehicles. You may have heard of Tesla opening their network to non-Tesla vehicles. This would require (in the U.S.) them to start installing Superchargers with Tesla plugs and CCS1 plugs. This is probably a long way off from happenings in terms of scale. Tesla would have to retrofit existing Superchargers and all new installations.. so don't expect any extremely wide rollout of access to Tesla Superchargers for non-Tesla vehicles anytime soon.

Hope that helps, sorry for the wall of text.

ddennis669

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 01:45:28 AM »

Here is a link to a few YouTubes that may help. https://www.youtube.com/c/Energicasuperbike/videos
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 01:49:12 AM by ddennis669 »

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 04:46:38 AM »

Here is a link to a few YouTubes that may help. https://www.youtube.com/c/Energicasuperbike/videos

Great link. There is a specific charging episode as well.

wadejesu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 04:54:17 AM »

Thanks for the info, I' m smarter now. Can I assume the bike comes with a Level 1 cable/charger?

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 05:21:33 AM »

They used to, but now I think it only comes stock if you buy the RS model. They're easy to find on Amazon. If you really want to flex your brain muscles, this guy explains how they work in very simple terms:

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2022, 10:47:09 AM »

They used to, but now I think it only comes stock if you buy the RS model.
I was asked if I wanted a L-1 or L-2 granny cable with my Experia, so from that, I assume at least the Experia comes with a charge cable. Not that I care, I have at least a dozen of them, mostly for L2.

I wonder if the only difference is the 120 VAC/240 VAC plug. I think all of mine do both, the plug is the only issue.

I almost never charge with 120 VAC. My normal home charge is from my Tesla Wall Connector to a Tesla Tap.

-Don- Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2022, 01:15:00 PM »

You signed up for Launch Edition which comes with extra goodies, like the hard cases.

Sklith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2022, 07:34:52 PM »

It is possible to charge at speeds greater than 3kW at home with somewhat expensive equipment such as a Setec portable CCS charger. Should cost around $3k shipped.
2020 Energia Ego

wadejesu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2022, 09:52:14 PM »

I was thinking of getting a Wallbox Pulsar plus, 40 amp

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2022, 11:01:28 PM »

I was thinking of getting a Wallbox Pulsar plus, 40 amp
You don't need 40 amps for a 3KW AC charger. 16 amps is more than enough. 16 amps times 240 VAC=3,840 watts. More than that is useless on any Enegica for level 2 charging. But it won't hurt anything to have more capacity, just will cost more than necessary, if that's all you want to use it for.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MikeL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2022, 12:19:23 AM »

They used to, but now I think it only comes stock if you buy the RS model.
I was asked if I wanted a L-1 or L-2 granny cable with my Experia, so from that, I assume at least the Experia comes with a charge cable. Not that I care, I have at least a dozen of them, mostly for L2.

I wonder if the only difference is the 120 VAC/240 VAC plug. I think all of mine do both, the plug is the only issue.

I almost never charge with 120 VAC. My normal home charge is from my Tesla Wall Connector to a Tesla Tap.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Did Energica call and ask you? I've yet to have that question asked.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2022, 12:26:03 AM »

Yes, I was asked by a Energica representative during a phone call. But I later realized I would have rather been asked if I wanted the keyless ignition (yes). I was never asked that.

More than likely, I will never use the cable for the bike--not ever. Just another piece of junk in my houses.

I normally use a Tesla Wall Connector with a Tesla Tap.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MikeL

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2022, 02:09:08 AM »

Yes, I was asked by a Energica representative during a phone call. But I later realized I would have rather been asked if I wanted the keyless ignition (yes). I was never asked that.

More than likely, I will never use the cable for the bike--not ever. Just another piece of junk in my houses.

I normally use a Tesla Wall Connector with a Tesla Tap.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

Odd to me that they keep asking you questions and giving you calls while I have yet to receive one call from Energica. I've reached out directly and they confirmed they have my pre-order and deposit but never ask any questions.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2022, 05:00:06 AM »

Odd to me that they keep asking you questions and giving you calls while I have yet to receive one call from Energica. I've reached out directly and they confirmed they have my pre-order and deposit but never ask any questions.
Could it be your location? My phonecall came from southern  CA.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X