• October 22, 2024, 03:35:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2020 SR/s code 58+31, died and nearly threw me  (Read 731 times)

Rangerx52

• View Profile
2020 SR/s code 58+31, died and nearly threw me
« on: July 01, 2022, 08:43:24 AM »

NO idea where to go from here. Have a 2020 SRS, no reeeeeal problems so far, 17k kms. I frequently get a code 4, throttle fault which clears, and i just recently started getting an infrequent DC/DC converter low voltage fault, which also clears.

I was just out riding, nothing crazy, just city driving, was at about 55kph. All of a sudden the bike HARD stops on regen, and faults out on a code 58 "Battery fault", then code 31 "Battery ineligible". I Barely dragged the bike to the side of the road, because the wheels seem locked into regen mode.

The bike will turn on with the Key, but it keeps coming back up with those faults, and will not move. It shows no response to a charger being plugged in. The worst, and i mean THE WORST part- is that even with the Key off, it is in regen, and i can push it about 2 feet before the resistance locks it up and its almost impossible to push.

Any ideas? I had the most recent software update just a few weeks ago.

staples

• View Profile
Re: 2020 SR/s code 58+31, died and nearly threw me
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 10:37:15 PM »

That sounds quite scary. Can you use the app to show any data from the battery, like voltage or balance etc?

Regardless, I think it need some major surgery at the dealer to fix whatever is wrong.

DerKrawallkeks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 02:52:43 AM »

Where to go from here? Easy: to the dealer.
Something really bad happened there, if it's in Regen with the key off that almost sounds like a short circuit or the Sevcon or something (it's probably not) but yea, that's very bad still. Straight to the Dealership

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 02:56:38 AM »

I Barely dragged the bike to the side of the road, because the wheels seem locked into regen mode.
Does the SR/S have regen at less than 7 MPH/ 12KPH?

I think you probably have a motor issue, but I doubt if it's stuck in regen.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Rangerx52

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 05:17:38 AM »

I only say regen because its clearly building a charge somewhere. If i leave the bike for about 10 mins, thwre is no resistance for the for about a foot or so when i try to push- like normal, but then a counterforce builds, like someone is holding the brakes suddenly. I ha e a background in Electronics- so this wierds me out, because i imagined this was a field effect motor/ without permanent magnets, which Would mean it would have to get an excitement charge from somewhere to fire up the field coils, but just pushing wpuldnt be enough to do that without the bike providing juice too. Am i wrong on that?

The app doesnt show anything odd, it still connects remotely, shows battery level, the whole deal, but wont connect to a charger.

staples

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 09:43:30 AM »

Where to go from here? Easy: to the dealer.
:( >:( :'(

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 12:04:33 PM »

I only say regen because its clearly building a charge somewhere. If i leave the bike for about 10 mins, thwre is no resistance for the for about a foot or so when i try to push- like normal, but then a counterforce builds, like someone is holding the brakes suddenly.

Your bike uses a permanent magnet motor. Based on your comments about how it feels like regen kicked in makes me think the issue might be related to the inverter, specifically the switching circuit, or the motor windings. The motor should spin freely however if you connect 2 of the phase wires together you will feel resistance to rotation, connect all 3 and the resistance is even greater. If anyone has a RC plane, boat or car with a brushless motor give it a try. Leakage between 2 phases either in the inverter or in the motor would result in the resistance you feel when pushing the bike.

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 10:39:40 PM »

As others have said, this seems like a major failure in either the controller or the motor.

A quick test(if you have a torque wrench) is to disconnect the motor leads from the controller and see if the rear wheel/motor shaft spins freely. If it does, I'd guess the controller went out. If it doesn't, I'd suspect a mechanical failure in the motor windings or magnets.

Either way, this is definitely one of those where you'd probably want a dealer to handle it.

Rangerx52

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 05:32:07 PM »

Figured i'd give an update, in case anyone came across the same issue, as it seems to be resolved.

The fault appeared to be a dead BMS.
Zero and the dealer ripped the bike apart for several months. They replaced the controller and main harness (the big taped up fucker with a contactor in it), which removed some symptoms but not the problem. They then replaced the BMS system, and i finally have my bike back in working order.
To zero's credit, they did all the work under warrantee, and the shop that did it, busted their ass to find the issue- so if either of them see this post, you've got nothing but positive vibes coming from me.

AS i look back, i believe the problem was manifesting small issues long before the outright failure, but i couldnt isolate the issue. So long run, i believe the BMS was likely bad from the near start, but managed to run until it finally crapped out altogether.

Issues prior to failure:
-Bike notifications worked initially (finish charging, etc..) then after maybe a year, just suddenly stopped one day. Connecting remotely would show location and battery status, although frequently would not reflect plugged/unplugged.
-Throttle faults, cleared and recurred. Unknown if they will come back. No issues found during service.
-Dc/Dc low voltage fault, again, cleared readily. only happened twice, about a month or so before the failure.
-One time it reported that the bike had fallen over, when i know for a fact it had not. It hadnt recorded the event in the bike logs either, just sent me a notification to stir anxiety i assume.

Issues AT failure:
-Bike suddenly stopped, as if in a SERIOUS state of regen. To the point of being near impossible to push, even with key off. The motor causes a physical drag as if the leads are dead shorted (which considering the failure, they MAY be)
-Numerous critical faults. Battery not registered, invalid battery, basically a handful of serious random faults.
-Bike will turn on, reflect the pack voltage properly despite the faults, which will not clear, and the bike will not enter a ready state.
-Bike still impossible to push in keyed on state.
-Plugging in a charger cable will result in no response, the bike would not wake to charge or acknowledge the plug.
-Connecting remotely would still show the battery status and bike info.

So they gave it back, and after a very awkward moment of "how the fuck do i ride this thing again.." it runs like a champ.
Bit of a shudder at low speed which it didnt have before, like a heavy vibration while accelerating around 20-60kph or so- it goes away as i speed up. Makes me think there's maybe a phase or calibration issue to be tweaked. anyone heard of that before?

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2022, 09:20:42 PM »

My 2018 Zero shuddered when first riding off from a stop when new. It seemed to be caused by the belt drive breaking-in. After about 1000 miles the shudder faded away. If your belt was not replaced by the dealer, it might be adjusted either too tight, or its alignment is off a bit and not adjusted so that it runs 1mm off of the rear sprocket flange.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: [1]