• September 27, 2024, 10:17:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Electric Sport Tourer announced  (Read 6543 times)

PWM

• View Profile
Re: Electric Sport Tourer announced
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2022, 10:21:07 AM »

...it makes me wonder if just turning down the power on the more powerful models to match the Experia would result in the same thermal performance.

Bingo.  We have a winner!

BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

flynnstig82r

• Just another lanesplitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2022, 11:07:35 AM »

I actually doubt that. A bike cruising at a given speed is going to need a certain number of Watts to push through the wind resistance regardless of whether it’s a smaller motor spinning faster or a larger one spinning slower. With gas the bigger one would need more power to keep it turning but with electric it shouldn’t make much difference.

I don’t expect the difference in charging thermals to be anything dramatic without liquid cooling of the pack or some other creative ideas.* At best, I would expect something similar to the cooling of the 13.4 kWh packs in a lighter package, and I can confirm that my SS9- does throttle back charging speed on hot days or starting on the 2nd charge. In 70 deg F weather, I get the full 23 kW on the first charge, which gradually tapers to 15 kW. In 100 deg F weather, it starts at 18 kW and goes down to 12 or lower.

*one such idea I recently had was to dump heat from the battery pack into the motor to take advantage of its liquid cooling, but I don’t know if the motor’s cooling system can work when it’s not spinning during charging. I feel like that’s something Energica’s engineers would have thought of during the design of the previous models if it were feasible.
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 AE

Past bikes:
2020 Energica SS9 13.4 kWh
2017 Zero SR 13.0 kWh
2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring
2016 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce 800
2012 Yamaha FZ6R

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2022, 11:23:03 AM »

I did the pre-order this morning.

In the morning (Thursday June 2) I will ride to A&S and give them my 3K$ deposit.

I don't see how I could not like this bike. Buying without a test ride or anything.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

TNCreator

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2022, 03:21:02 PM »

I was never too sure about the Zero vs Energica thing, but with this new bike... damn. I wonder if second-hand zeros are easy to sell...

MikeL

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2022, 08:09:35 PM »

I did the pre-order this morning.

In the morning (Thursday June 2) I will ride to A&S and give them my 3K$ deposit.

I don't see how I could not like this bike. Buying without a test ride or anything.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

Congrats on the order! I have my deposit in with CalMoto, I gave them a call when it launched and they took a deposit. Super excited about this bike. I never filled out the pre-order form but after calling Energica USA they said you can go through your dealer just fine without filling it out, if anyone is curious.

Guess we will see which one of us gets it first! haha. My assumption is they will basically arrive at the same time, in a first wave of bikes.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2022, 08:46:24 PM »

Congrats on the order! I have my deposit in with CalMoto, I gave them a call when it launched and they took a deposit. Super excited about this bike. I never filled out the pre-order form but after calling Energica USA they said you can go through your dealer just fine without filling it out, if anyone is curious.

Guess we will see which one of us gets it first! haha. My assumption is they will basically arrive at the same time, in a first wave of bikes.
A&S (via emial) suggested for me to do the pre-order, so I did. I will head down there to A&S in a few hours to give them a check for a few thousand bucks to make the order official with the deposit.

Did I hear somewhere that we will not get our bikes until after summer?

I am so glad I waited to see what was going to be available from Energica next. I was tempted to but the Ribille RS, now I am glad I didn't.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MikeL

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2022, 11:29:04 PM »

A&S (via emial) suggested for me to do the pre-order, so I did. I will head down there to A&S in a few hours to give them a check for a few thousand bucks to make the order official with the deposit.

Did I hear somewhere that we will not get our bikes until after summer?

I am so glad I waited to see what was going to be available from Energica next. I was tempted to but the Ribille RS, now I am glad I didn't.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

Interesting, hopefully I don't get impacted by not filling out the pre-order form. Supposedly CalMoto already notified Energica they had a pre-order so I'm assuming at this point it wouldn't matter if I did.

I've heard Fall/Winter for deliveries, but I don't think any confirmation of that has been given. CalMoto told me that if you ordered a Ribelle RS today it would take ~15 weeks due to production, shipping, and customs. So basically ~4 months. Considering I don't think production has started on Experia, I would assume at minimum we are looking at September/October for deliveries.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2022, 01:02:01 AM »

Interesting, hopefully I don't get impacted by not filling out the pre-order form. Supposedly CalMoto already notified Energica they had a pre-order so I'm assuming at this point it wouldn't matter if I did.

I've heard Fall/Winter for deliveries, but I don't think any confirmation of that has been given. CalMoto told me that if you ordered a Ribelle RS today it would take ~15 weeks due to production, shipping, and customs. So basically ~4 months. Considering I don't think production has started on Experia, I would assume at minimum we are looking at September/October for deliveries.
I also doubt if the pre-order is necessary. Cal-Moto will want to sell the bike and they will do all they can to make that possible.

Yeah, I was also expecting September--and then perhaps a month delay--which means Oct.  Just about in time for winter--we can then test out the heated grips ;) .

I am going to head out in about a half hour to make that 3K$ deposit at A&S cycles. I will be there at around 1300 hrs or so--on my blue Esse Esse 9-.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2022, 06:09:21 AM »

-Don-  Auburn, CA

Your patience will pay dividends, Don...bike is stunning...the seat looks really comfy...can only guess what it handles like...flipping motor 180 is genius...

BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2022, 09:32:02 AM »

Your patience will pay dividends, Don...bike is stunning...the seat looks really comfy...can only guess what it handles like...flipping motor 180 is genius...
Yeah, for once I decided to wait to see what they will have for the next year.

Today, I went down to A&S and gave them a check for 3K$. So now, I assume  the order is officially in. They gave me a tour of their service department while I was there.

From there, I rode my SS9 to Sacramento to Happy Garden for a Dim Sum lunch which I have not had for years.

I charged up at the Harley Dealer in Rocklin so I could make it home. I put on close to 100 miles on my SS9- again today.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MikeL

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2022, 09:58:30 AM »

Yeah, for once I decided to wait to see what they will have for the next year.

Today, I went down to A&S and gave them a check for 3K$. So now, I assume  the order is officially in. They gave me a tour of their service department while I was there.

From there, I rode my SS9 to Sacramento to Happy Garden for a Dim Sum lunch which I have not had for years.

I charged up at the Harley Dealer in Rocklin so I could make it home. I put on close to 100 miles on my SS9- again today.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

You sure do put on the miles. I think the Experia will be perfect for you. How are the Harley DC Fast Chargers? What do they max out at?

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2022, 10:24:34 AM »

How are the Harley DC Fast Chargers? What do they max out at?

They are 60 amp versions of this.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2022, 11:03:34 AM »

You sure do put on the miles. I think the Experia will be perfect for you. How are the Harley DC Fast Chargers? What do they max out at?
I have done a couple of 300 mile day  rides on my SS9-.

The one at  Rocklin H-D claims to be a 24KW CCS charger on Plugshare. I have never gotten more than 15 KW from it. But often the bike is quite hot when I charge up there. It was above 90F/33C there today.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2022, 12:10:55 PM »

..... because it has a 60 amp max output

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2022, 12:42:51 PM »

..... because it has a 60 amp max output
What do you mean?  Plusgshare says it is good for 24KW, but I have never seen more than 15KW and more often 12KW as when I checked several times today.

Normally when I charge elsewhere, I get about twice that rate, closer to 24 KW if not a bit more.

However, even with that 12KW, my battery indicator was yellow when I unplugged at 78% SOC. And it stayed yellow all the way home. It was green before the charge.

BTW, if the SS9- has better battery cooling than the +, should I expect some serious problems on the larger battery with less cooling on very hot days?  Have you ever seen it red on your bike?  I have only seen green and yellow so far, yellow only after charging but it stays yellow even after a long downhill ride with regen turned off.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X