• September 27, 2024, 05:17:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Electric Sport Tourer announced  (Read 6534 times)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
Electric Sport Tourer announced
« on: May 28, 2022, 06:25:42 PM »

Can't wait to read more about this thing.  Looks very "Ducati-ish"
https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/energica-introduces-new-experia-electric-sport-tourer/
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richtea

• View Profile
Re: Electric Sport Tourer announced
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 08:07:46 PM »

Looks rather bland to me, but the fairing is a welcome bit of aerodynamic design.

Two things come to mind:
1) I hope the lower power means a matching lower price range
2) I'd like to see more aerodynamic panniers rather than the usual slab-sided spam tins. Maybe take a leaf out of BMW's old rounded sports panniers which were expandable if needed:

« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 08:13:59 PM by Richtea »

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 09:55:32 PM »

Revised battery chemistry...sounds like Energica is getting away from NCM and switching to to LFP?  Total capacity is now 22.5KWh..

Glad to hear Energica is continuing development efforts towards the touring side.

Luggage choice is an end user preference and easy to alter after initial vehicle purchase - being removable, the aero-compromised choice (as shown) actually is more practical when traveling and results in greater volume.

Nicely done, Energica.

BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 10:29:05 PM »

Crap, just have my Ribelle. And now they come with a dual sports bike.I almost regretted buying the Ribelle, but to me the specs look Zero DSR-ish but at a much higher weigt I guess. The only thing I'd have liked is more net Kwh's but like always, as soon as you buy it's obsoleted by the next new thing ;)

Does look like different software though, 7 ride modes, Cornering Bosch, high(er) res dash, Sachs suspension. I like the setup, when they are available I'll go ride one.

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 10:33:36 PM »

New frame, new rear suspension, looks like longer suspension travel...can't tell but radiator now looks correct for size (@ 75kw peak retune)...

https://www.energicamotor.com/en/models/energica-experia/

Center stand also noted.  Just saw video, heck they even updated the display....now, wondering about beta testing and lack of spy shots...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 11:29:46 PM by PWM »
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

flynnstig82r

• Just another lanesplitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2022, 11:31:09 PM »

Love the center stand, range increase, tank storage, proper rear shock, and side charging port! Not so thrilled about the power and torque reduction, of course.

I'm a little surprised they went with Givi Trekker 33 side cases. I have those on my SS9 and I'm finding the aero drag penalty is unacceptably high from their brick-like shape, around +30 Wh/mi. I'm considering swapping them for WL900 semi-rigid Monokey bags, which I'm told are close to aerodynamically neutral. I would have expected them to go with something like the V35's or V37's for this model.

As expected, no serious changes to the battery cooling capacity or charge rate, but others have noted that the radiator looks bigger so perhaps there's a slight increase in stability of charging speeds from better overall powertrain cooling and better riding efficiency. Still, I'd love to see proper cooling of the battery on this and other models.

I might eventually be interested in this model, but I think my next upgrade is still a 21.5 kWh SS9 when I spot one for a good price on the used market, and I'll just move my custom luggage racks over. I expect to see a few SS9's and Ribelle's listed pretty soon as the orders roll in for the Experia.
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 AE

Past bikes:
2020 Energica SS9 13.4 kWh
2017 Zero SR 13.0 kWh
2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring
2016 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce 800
2012 Yamaha FZ6R

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2022, 12:10:35 AM »

/// MrMogensen ///
Former Yamaha FZ6 (since 2008) now sold and find myself wanting a Ribelle.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2022, 12:48:14 AM »

Crap, just have my Ribelle. And now they come with a dual sports bike.I almost regretted buying the Ribelle,
We all have been there with electric motorcycles. EVs of any type are much like computers have been over the years. The very best deals will be after we are dead. So how long should we wait?

Anyway, this new Energica Sport Tourer is likely to be my next motorcycle.  Ten motorcycles just ain't enough for me  ;) .   But I still wonder what they will have next year . . .

-Don- Reno, NV
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 03:40:39 AM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2022, 03:08:01 PM »

Yes, but the Ribelle has only been out for 2 years. At least with Zero you can buy a model and be sure there is no major innovation in the next 5-6 years :P

TBH I'm happy with my choice. The Zero DSR is also a dual sports bike, but charge points along trails are few and far between so 'real' trail riding (As far as thet goes in my neck of the woods) will long be a ICE territory. I did part of the TET on the DSR, and leaving the trail to find a place to charge and then waiting an hour to get it filled enough gets old very fast.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2022, 03:45:07 AM »

Yes, but the Ribelle has only been out for 2 years. At least with Zero you can buy a model and be sure there is no major innovation in the next 5-6 years :P
Don't be so sure. I think the SR/S was a big change.

I expect to soon see a Zero that has CCS charging and much more, which means a big design change. Will be the end of the low voltage battery, at least in their larger bikes.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2022, 03:54:14 AM »

That will be a loooong long time coming I think, because it'll mean entirely redesigning the entire power train. I'm more hoping that 12kW+ AC charging will become standard, and the battery grows by 50%, for the next gen. I think that's wishful thinking of course because Zero is driven by the calamitous US situation of shitty 7kW charging everywhere unlike in Europe where we have 22kW everywhere.

A 50% bigger battery is really everything I need from a Zero, because it means I can properly tour on it.

Cas :)

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2022, 12:43:23 PM »

Don't be so sure. I think the SR/S was a big change.

Yeah, well, I bought my DSR in 2016 and the release year of the SR/S is 2021 so if my math is correct... :D

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2022, 12:50:32 PM »

That looks so much like a Ducati Multistrada! An interesting bike and a popular category to try to brak into, but I don't think the tourer market is where electric bikes would shine. I have a few friends who like to do a week touring around Europe in a group. I'm not saying it can't be done, but electric would not be my choice for this sort of riding - especially if you have others who want to do a quick 5 minute stop for fuel and get back on the road.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2022, 05:12:25 PM »

I see this more for solo touring unless you're touring with similar eMotorcyclists.  Here in the US, I see more and more DCFC stations popping up on freeway rest areas.  I still don't think they're close enough to enable motorcycle touring on the freeways but it is making certain electric cars more viable for this kind of touring.

No, electric bikes are still better off NOT using the highways.  The slower speeds give you improved range and you're more likely to find charging stations in populated areas.  It's just a damn shame that Energicas can only utilize 3kW at L2 stations.  Right now, L2 STILL outnumbers DCFC in this country.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

flynnstig82r

• Just another lanesplitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2022, 09:58:50 PM »

That looks so much like a Ducati Multistrada! An interesting bike and a popular category to try to brak into, but I don't think the tourer market is where electric bikes would shine. I have a few friends who like to do a week touring around Europe in a group. I'm not saying it can't be done, but electric would not be my choice for this sort of riding - especially if you have others who want to do a quick 5 minute stop for fuel and get back on the road.
True, although all of the group riding that I've done has been riding 30-50 mi, then getting lunch, a little more riding and then heading home. This bike can do all of that on one charge.

I agree that e-moto's don't pair well with gas bikes on longer rides, though. We're agonizingly close to parity (albeit at a higher purchase price), but I would say it will be another 3-5 years. The batteries are already there, we just need better cooling for 2-3C charging rates and for designers to focus more on aerodynamics. A mild 20% efficiency boost from aero would bring highway range up to 156 mi and it would be easier to cool the battery when it's not working as hard. The middle 60% of the pack that most people would refill on charging stops comes out to 12 kWh, which could be refilled in 15 mins with 50 kW charging if the pack can stay cool, and then a person could ride another 78 miles on the slab or farther in the twisties. That's less than half of the charging time of my 13.4 SS9 on long trips, and with enough 100-0% capacity to handle any regional ride or even a 60 mi supercommute both directions.

Some people would still point to gas providing more range and faster refills, of course, but unless you're on something as comfortable as a Goldwing, you're going to want to get off the bike for 15 mins every 80 mi anyway. I stopped for 10-15 mins to stretch my legs every hour and a half when I rode a Triumph Tiger down to Long Beach from SF, and the last half-hour were agony. I would have welcomed a good excuse to get off the bike every hour instead. With today's gas prices, I figured out that this trip would have cost $120 just in fuel, and the SS9 did it for $30, and without each mile getting me closer to expensive valve checks, which is the biggest cost of such a trip that people forget about.
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 AE

Past bikes:
2020 Energica SS9 13.4 kWh
2017 Zero SR 13.0 kWh
2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring
2016 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce 800
2012 Yamaha FZ6R
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10