• September 29, 2024, 08:18:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: SR/S Firmware update MBB V23 went very bad (Solved)  (Read 2642 times)

shayan

• View Profile
Re: Firmware update MBB V23 went very bad
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2022, 11:02:42 PM »

Cross posting from FB. Try this it seems to have worked for some folks:
. Install firmware update on bike
2. Pair the bike over Bluetooth to the app
2. Create a new custom mode
3.. Adjust some settings while the mode is inactive
4. Activate the new custom mode
These steps will invoke the MBB to pull up the correct ride mode settings and should fix issues with power, torque and top speed on SPORT mode.
-Shayan

2023 Energica Ribelle RS

pargil

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2022, 06:35:35 PM »

I am analyzing my options as to what reasons my bike (SR/S) got bricked following a firmware update (V23). Actually, turning the key ON-OFF does nothing. The display is frozen and no bluetooth link is possible. I can only turn Off the display by disconnecting the 12v battery, Do you think a BMS reset (board behind the front wheel) would bring the bike back to life? I can't imagine having to replace any components following a simple software update...The bike was running perfectly well before.

morpheus74

• SRF 2020 (DS'14, DSR'16 and FX'15 before)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2022, 06:48:32 PM »

hello
same issue for me on my SRF with last firmware (21) : the bike was a brick.
I shoud bring it to the dealer ... he connect its computer to the obd port in the tank, and send the firmware in 5 minutes ...
no need to change MBB board, juste install firmware with OBD connection and their computer
Zero Fan .. SRF 2020 & DSR 2016

Mooseman

• View Profile
Re: SR/S Firmware update MBB V23 went very bad
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2022, 05:52:38 PM »

I just spent some time in the garage trying to upgrade from V21 to V23. Three attempts, three failures. Apparently the bluetooth connection between the phone and the bike is working, yet the data transfer fails at random stages and the bike tells me to key it off for three minutes and try again.

I've seen alpha software do a better job. How can't they even get a simple data upload right?
2014 BMW K1600GT
2020 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD
2021 Zero piece of iron that doesn't work and can't be repaired

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2022, 06:41:08 PM »

I just spent some time in the garage trying to upgrade from V21 to V23. Three attempts, three failures. Apparently the bluetooth connection between the phone and the bike is working, yet the data transfer fails at random stages and the bike tells me to key it off for three minutes and try again.

I've seen alpha software do a better job. How can't they even get a simple data upload right?

It sure is strange that Zero managed to finally get the Gen 2 software updates working perfectly, with no more failure messages and similar issues, but now are having even more problems with the Gen 3 bike updates. Why reinvent the wheel once you finally get it round and then start off again with a square shape? I just don't get it.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

pargil

• View Profile
Re: SR/S Firmware update MBB V23 went very bad (bricked)
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2022, 07:36:41 PM »

Thanks Morpheus74
I am crossing my fingers that it is only a matter of uploading again the firmware with the computer hooked to the OBDII port. I have an appointment with the dealer this Thursday. I will keep you posted of the results.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 05:26:14 PM by pargil »

Zelidar

• SR/F Premium 2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2022, 11:14:34 PM »

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I guess I am lucky in this case: A couple of days ago I upgraded to MBB V23 through the "Zero Next Gen" android app using bluetooth. It took about 35 minutes and ended with the creation of the CANYON mode, which suggested me that it went ok.

I cannot yet tell if the torque went back up to what it was when I bought the SR/F; for that I think I will to ride with a passenger. The probable loss of torque resulting from an update to MBB V21 I did in March at my Zero dealer was my main motivation to install that firmware update. I can confirm that the "Remote Connect" function (cellular & GPS) is still working fine over the internet.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 05:36:54 PM by Zelidar »
- Zero SR/F Premium (since 22.11.2019)
- (2007-2019 nothing and no car since 2017)
- Yamaha FJ1200 (2nd), FJ1200 (1st)
- Honda CBF 750, NX 650, MTX 125

Pnut

• SR/F Premium MY21 Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2022, 10:39:21 PM »

I've just experienced a similar problem to yours today - unfortunately the dealer I bought my bike from is no more and my nearest is more than 60 miles away! I disconnected the 12v LiIon to power cycle the MBB but to no avail so I removed the bodywork (6 screws - 5 minutes) disconnected the 12v and unplugged the two MBB connectors, left it for 30 mins and then put it all back together. Hey presto! All running again albeit with V21 but will try again tomorrow but this time with a charger connected to the 12v battery (deffo recommended)

Update - couldn't be bothered to wait another 24hrs so connected a charger to the 12v battery (in case it takes several hours of repetitious update failures) and continued the update process. After dozens of attempts I've finally managed to update to V23!! I'm just guessing here but I seem to have more success with the phone approximately 2 metres away from the bike (not too close for better BT connection) and WiFi switched off on the phone, just using cellular outside the garage.

Time to find out what changes (if any) after a good nights sleep :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 01:45:06 AM by Pnut »

pargil

• View Profile
Re: SR/S Firmware update MBB V23 went very bad (Update)
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2022, 07:16:06 PM »

I am back from the dealer in Montreal area with a bike fully functionnal. Thanks to the expertise of the technical staff, he was able to restart the MBB, reset the BMS and load the latest V23 firmware. I still don't have an answer as to why the firmware upgrade I did myself turned out to be a total failure. I did myself the upgrade from V19 to V21 without any problems. Lessons learned, I will now book an appointment with my dealer for every future firmware upgrade. Furthermore, those upgrades are free of charge for the life of your bike according to a recent note from Zero.  I am not saying, don't do it yourself, but if you are at a reasonnable distance from a dealer, I think that it is the best option.

THG

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2022, 02:58:32 AM »

I've just experienced a similar problem to yours today - unfortunately the dealer I bought my bike from is no more and my nearest is more than 60 miles away! I disconnected the 12v LiIon to power cycle the MBB but to no avail so I removed the bodywork (6 screws - 5 minutes) disconnected the 12v and unplugged the two MBB connectors, left it for 30 mins and then put it all back together. Hey presto! All running again albeit with V21 but will try again tomorrow but this time with a charger connected to the 12v battery (deffo recommended)

Update - couldn't be bothered to wait another 24hrs so connected a charger to the 12v battery (in case it takes several hours of repetitious update failures) and continued the update process. After dozens of attempts I've finally managed to update to V23!! I'm just guessing here but I seem to have more success with the phone approximately 2 metres away from the bike (not too close for better BT connection) and WiFi switched off on the phone, just using cellular outside the garage.

Time to find out what changes (if any) after a good nights sleep :)

If you wouldn't mind maybe some pictures of which screws you needed to remove to get access. Started to try and dig into this since I'm having the same issue and don't feel comfortable knowing which things to take off.

GaryArt1

• Ride with Pride
    • View Profile
Re: SR/S Firmware update MBB V23 went very bad (Solved)
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2022, 11:29:37 PM »

So I had the same problem with the bike not rebooting during the upgrade.  My dash remained on no matter what I did with the key.
 As said in the post above, disconnecting the 12v battery turns off the dash but as soon as you reconnect, you have the same problem.  The post above had the solution.  Remove the tank and you will find the MBB mounted on the left side of the storage box.  Pull the 2 connectors and leave them off for a while.  When you reconnect them and the 12v battery, the bike reboots as normal and dash stays off.
Currently own: 
2020 Blue Zero SR/F Premium
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
Pages: 1 [2]