• September 28, 2024, 01:27:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: CCS chargers very unreliable!  (Read 2230 times)

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: CCS chargers very unreliable!
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2022, 05:47:38 AM »

Why doesn't Energica increase the timeout time for the initiation?

IKR, Gridserve is a major charging network here, they're the guys with those big electric forecourts and I discovered today (I rarely use them because they're mainly on motorways) that the shiny new units they've just finished a major replacement program with ... are strict connector first with anti-ramp bumps about a half meter from the unit and a sprung tether on the cable. Thankfully the one I went to was attended so I could get the attendant to help, I kept timing out.

But what I am complaining here now with this thread is the countless CCS chargers that are off line for everybody. Down for various reasons.

Yeah, that's a big issue for sure. I went on a weekend away with some petrol powered friends and a charger that would have been perfect for our route was out for months due to parts supply, single unit location, only DC charger for 25 miles in any direction and all the other ones are also singles. The one I ended up at instead someone had run over the CCS connector and after the company didn't bother to do anything about it (it was still activated!) a local had duct taped it back together (it worked).
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2022, 09:19:21 AM »

What is a "half" contactor?

Only the negative side is switched. Part of Chademo's protocols demand full switching on contactors.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2022, 10:01:19 AM »

Only the negative side is switched. Part of Chademo's protocols demand full switching on contactors.
Oh, I have never taken a good look at a CHAdeMO. It must have a way to detect if both sides are open.

BTW, today, I rode my Energica to Carson City, Silver Springs, Fernley and all three CCS chargers worked perfectly and on the very first try. I made sure my kickstand was on the charger side. I really think that helps.

I slowly  J-1772 charged on USA Parkway as I was having dinner.

I updated all these on Plugshare to say they are now all working.

Carson City needs more DC fast chargers. There is only one. I had to wait for it then 2 others were waiting for me. And all three of them needed to use CHAdeMO, but this stupid machine cannot do both (CCS & CHAdeMO) at once.

I hear there are a few these days that can do both at once.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2022, 09:02:35 PM »

Is it really that hard for Energica to program the fast charging to not time out? I've never heard or had this problem on other EVs.

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2022, 10:03:18 PM »

No, it is trivial. What is needed is 500 of you Energica owners to email them and complain about it.

Cas :)

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2022, 03:26:58 AM »

E-mail who? There isn't really an official line of communication to Energica.

I wonder if europeans have this problem as well or this is specific to US chargers?

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2022, 10:54:10 AM »

Yes to the OP. My experience with two Energicas is that they can be a PITA to charge on networked DCFC stations. A lengthy phone call usually eventually gets the charge going, but that's not a good selling point.
Just my theory: If Energica was not a small player, the big dog chargers might be more attentive. But E isn't, and the big dogs aren't.
I admit there may be a zillion additional variables. So proposed humbly: Yo Energica, please consider contacting the various DCFC vendors so we owners may enjoy a satisfactory and stress free experience.

Ashveratu

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2022, 06:53:05 AM »

I would not place all the blame on Energica. My experience with charging the Livewire around town varies greatly as well. Some Chargepoint chargers work great and some don't, some EVGos work great, some don't. So far, all CCS is just chaos. I do not know what to expect if I have never used a particular charger.
2022 Energica Esseesse 9 RS Bormio Ice
2018 Tesla Model 3 Metallic Red wrap (Black) LR AWD

2020 Harley Livewire Fusion Yellow (traded in)
2014 Brammo Empulse in Yellow (Sold)
2013 Zero S 11.4 - Black (returned to Zero)

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2022, 11:25:20 AM »

E-mail who? There isn't really an official line of communication to Energica.

I wonder if europeans have this problem as well or this is specific to US chargers?

I'm in Europe and I've had no issues with specific DC chargers. I'm using mostly FastNed (300 kW), Ionity (350 kW), Allego (50 & 350 kW), Powerland (50 & 350 kW) and those at Lidl stores (50 kW) and the ones at the gas stations (often the same 50 kW types of the Lidl ones)

There is a known issue with V3 Tesla Super Chargers, never got it working on those. On V2 it does work. And it is something Tesla/Energica specific cause our Mercedes EQV does work also on V3.

Sometimes the "handshake" times out but that is almost always because I was too late with my badge on the paid ones. I have an IONITY paid subscription and another card for all the other networks (not the best rate obv.).

« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 11:40:10 AM by Hans2183 »
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

Sklith

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2022, 09:40:55 AM »

I'm mad jelly, I can't plug into Superchargers over here in the states :(
2020 Energia Ego

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2022, 10:47:56 PM »

There is a known issue with V3 Tesla Super Chargers, never got it working on those. On V2 it does work. And it is something Tesla/Energica specific cause our Mercedes EQV does work also on V3.
I am curious how you can use ANY Tesla Supercharger. What type of adapter do you use and why can it not be done in the USA?

-Don-  Tom's Place, CA (RV trip with my Zero DS)
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2022, 01:22:12 AM »

The EU has standardized the Type2 CCS connector, and made it mandatory for type approval to include it in the ev design. So in the EU all vehicles and evse’s have the same connector: Mennekes for AC, Mennekes CCS for DCFC. So we need no adapters here, Tesla had to retrofit the SC’s with CCS to keep compliant and to allow charging of the Model 3 which is sold in the EU with the mandatory CCS connector. Since a few countries here are in a pilot to allow non-Tesla’s acces, any EV sold currently can use the SC network in those countries. The EU rules mostly suck pretty hard but standardising charging is one of the few things they did right. We used to have J1772 (Zero, some cars), Mennekes, and ChaDeMo and now only Mennekes for AC and CCS for DCFC.

TL;DR The EU has standardised CCS so no adapters needed in the EU.

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2022, 12:58:37 PM »

Indeed what Skidz said  8). For now only the full network in the Netherlands and a collection of pilots (more and more) in Norway and France. But they are expanding.

That said my Energica doesn't want to take a charge from either V2 or V3. I was at a V2 this weekend with a Ribbele that did work properly. And I've seen many pictures from the Dutch riders where they are able to charge. So must be something missing on my bike (likely charge controller FW).

I also discovered that the type2 mennekes charger found as second lead on V2 chargers has an extra tab in the connector making it NOT fit the standard type 2 mennekes used for AC charging in EU. Good thing probably cause it provides DC instead of AC :D.

Anyway, except for my issues with Tesla DC charging has been reliable for me. It does look like they fix stuff also so taking it to a dealer for a flash should improve compatibility from time to time.
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2022, 07:32:08 PM »

I just heard a report on KCBS, the San Francisco news radio station. An inspection of 181 public fast charging stations around the San Francisco Bay Area was performed recently by a group of researchers and they found that 25% of them were broken in one way or another and were non-functional. Another 5% had charging cables that were too short to reach some electric vehicle charging ports. The reporter said that those maintenance and design problems were going to need to be solved if California wanted to eventually replace most ICE cars with electric-powered ones in the future.

Tesla charging stations were not surveyed in this study.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2022, 11:22:03 AM »

Tesla charging stations were not surveyed in this study.
Tesla Superchargers rarely have problems. But they only have to deal with Teslas, which makes it much easier than CCS.

-Don- Tom's Place, CA 
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X