• September 24, 2024, 03:33:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Future plans for Energica  (Read 1724 times)

MVetter

• View Profile
Re: Future plans for Energica
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2022, 11:49:18 PM »

I'm pretty sure Energica wasn't kicked out because there was anything weak in their bikes' performance or tech -- but because Enel (Italian energy conglomerate who are the major sponsor of MotoE) decided they needed better name recognition for the racing class.
It remains to be seen to what extent Ducati is committed -- I suspect not very much at this point.

In the end it's probably all about $$$, of which Ducati has more. We'll probably never know, though.

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2022, 04:42:35 AM »

Stonewolf, did you know that already?
Because that's basically all the MotoE Ducatis are, Energicas with new body work, no joke.

I did not, I was joking. It looks like Ducati are doing their own thing and they likely have a lot of resources from VW to do that with. I'm very interested in any development in packaging liquid cooled batteries but I'm not convinced weight saving is going to be the holy grail Triumph and Ducati think it is. Being light is good but not if you don't have the power and endurance to do anything with it.

FWIW, to bring it back to Energica, from what I've seen I'm pretty sure their focus is on faster charging and if you're waiting for a big announcement other than exciting new colour options my crystal ball says the smaller battery but with the box gutted to run an active cooling system.
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2022, 06:12:44 AM »

FWIW, to bring it back to Energica, from what I've seen I'm pretty sure their focus is on faster charging and if you're waiting for a big announcement other than exciting new colour options my crystal ball says the smaller battery but with the box gutted to run an active cooling system.
I don't see that at all. Their "+" models do not charge any faster, than the "-" bikes. And with the increased sales they had with the "+", which including removing the battery cooling, I would think if anything, they would want to see if it's possible to make the  battery even larger.  That is what is selling.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2022, 07:47:11 PM »

So, MVetter, yep that aint no Energica under there.  Seems to be running a 800ish system like the Porsche.  In your opinion are they running 180ish cells in series or running a convertor to step up the voltage?

Stonewolf, I had seen others putting the early statements of the MotoE take over together about the same time I saw what I figured was a joke from you but then I questioned the whole thing. I'm not sure Ducati is going for ultra lightness just lighter than Energica.

DonTom, I've always been in camp range not fast charging for the way I ride so I want the range leader for my tastes.  I don't know how many people who get the + bikes are really aware of the charging thermal cut back compared to the older bikes.  Maybe the new motor setup helps the whole system stay cooler at least reducing the cut back.  I guess we'll see this summer's riding reviews.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2022, 10:06:15 PM »

So, MVetter, yep that aint no Energica under there.  Seems to be running a 800ish system like the Porsche.  In your opinion are they running 180ish cells in series or running a convertor to step up the voltage?

Can't say for certain but, knowing there is limited space on motorcycles I suspect there's no converter. Race bikes especially do everything they can to keep weight down. My napkin math indicates 192 cells in series to achieve the numbers shown on the screen. Could easily be a 25kWh or greater pack in there, but that is purely my guestimation.

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2022, 07:36:36 AM »

Energica will be the consumer choice for many years to come - suspect they will make gains on weight reduction and cooling but not enough to satisfy the long standing racing objectives to emulate ICE handling. 

The entire motorcycle industry will struggle to meet customer expectation and having Ducati in the mix to demonstrate that performance battery-pack longevity has a weight penalty and the only solution is to flog-it-n-replace to refresh performance.  This will be too costly for average rider so in the end both companies should thrive.
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

flynnstig82r

• Just another lanesplitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2022, 10:01:26 PM »

My guess is that the next big reveal for Energica is a liquid-cooled battery pack and a higher charging rate to go along with it. I doubt they will want to decrease the pack capacity, so it will either require a lower number of higher-density cells to make room for the cooling pipes, or they would have to get creative with space management and find a way to cram the same number of cells onto the frame.
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 AE

Past bikes:
2020 Energica SS9 13.4 kWh
2017 Zero SR 13.0 kWh
2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring
2016 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce 800
2012 Yamaha FZ6R

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2022, 11:48:14 PM »

Any designer with any sense would at this point, do away with the frame, and have the battery be the frame.

Cas :)

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2022, 02:36:57 AM »

Any designer with any sense would at this point, do away with the frame, and have the battery be the frame.

In that case I'm glad I just ordered the 'old' version with the trellis frame then :P

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2022, 03:53:27 AM »

I don't expect to see that on series-production e-motorcycles until production numbers increase by an order of magnitude, probably more.
While I'm no motorcycle designer, AFAIU it would require committing to the size/weight of the battery box, otherwise every model with differing battery size would need its own frame design and lots of individual testing.
Even large ICE bike makers reuse a frame in as many models as possible to save money.

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2022, 01:09:52 PM »

Image from Energica Rider-E...can this be a hint?

Thinking EMCE motor package was purposed to make space for improved suspension inclusive (hope, hope) of single side swing arm...just like the picture shows.

BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2022, 05:31:35 PM »

Well that's clearly a Ducati tank, and likely  swingarm.
What kind of mind $%ckery is this?  Are they working together or not?

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2022, 05:50:17 PM »

I believe this is a Diavel one-time project of a private person, but it does strike me it really fits well :)

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2022, 09:03:35 PM »

That's Scott Chou's custom Diavel with an Energica powertrain. He had a custom builder in the Bay Area fab up a ton of parts. He's been working on it for the better part of a year. Totally a labor of love. I'm certainly not reading anything more into it than that. It's gorgeous; I've seen it in various states of being built.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2022, 01:29:23 AM »

Gotcha, custom one off setup.  He did a real good job with it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3