• September 27, 2024, 10:22:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Can-Am developing electric motorcycles?  (Read 3600 times)

Nairb

• View Profile
Re: Can-Am developing electric motorcycles?
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2024, 05:40:52 AM »

haven't found any BRP related immersive battery cooling or dielectric fluid related patents just yet, but they are hiring for a fair number of engineers, technicians, and designers for their "electric vehicle and propulsion development team"

https://careers.brp.com/electric

also, their 2021 press release about investing $300M to electrify all their product lines:

https://ir.brp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/brp-introduce-electric-models-each-its-product-lines-end-2026
« Last Edit: August 22, 2024, 05:43:51 AM by Nairb »

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2024, 06:22:02 AM »

Yeah it does have a bigger battery and faster charging, all I'm saying is I don't think that justifies the extra money. You could also point to the technology improvements with the dash and connectivity, but in that case there's better suspension on the Zeros.
How do we know which suspention is better? Zero fx fxe 41mm forks, Can am 43mm forks.  The Zero fx shock was like $450 from Zero a few years ago not sure about now but it is unlikely it is very good.  Considering the price of the vehicle.  And you can't be absolutely sure what Zero is using by the time this one is available without a pre order deal.  Travel on the adventure ish one an inch or more in excess of the fx value.  The Can am one actually looks like you could rub against stuff.  10 inches of travel and 10.8 inches of ground clearance  It sure will help being narrow.
The Can-am does have longer travel but there's no adjustment on the fork, where as the FX/FXE has preload, compression, and rebound adjustments. An extra 2mm on the leg diameter is going to make next to no difference and is really just to mitigate the Can-am fork having more flex due to being longer. While KYB and Showa are in the same ballpark the fact that the Can-am fork has no adjustment and the rear shock looks to be a non-piggy back one means it's probably lower end stuff with worse damping, having to deal with a fair bit more sprung weight as well as more unsprung weight in the rear.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2024, 07:04:31 PM »

It looks like most of the money to design and manufacture the Can-Am EV went into the battery/motor/drive-train package. It looks like the development budget was running low by the time they got to the chassis and the engineers had to cut corners to keep the price of the bike from going too crazy.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2024, 08:16:22 PM »

This is from the march 25 2021 article or press release posted earlier in this thread.

BRP has made the bold decision to develop its Rotax modular electric powerpack technology which will be leveraged across all product lines enhancing the consumer experience by offering new electric options.

" chassis and the engineers had to cut corners to keep the price of the bike from going too crazy."  What corners might I ask.  I would think a single sided swingarm would take more design effort.  Maybe you are right the module fits in where the rear axle of a quad or side by side will be at some point.  I find it hard to believe these steering neck bolted or attached some way to a battery box thing will get the amount and type of flex figured out as well as the frame or even stressed engine/transmission set up common now.  Of course, putting more weight on the swingarm like a motor and reduction gear is sort of a design choice not to be at the pinnacle of handling.  The chain that looks like in the timing of the camshafts in my pick up and called silent I believe is intresting but I see a straight cut reduction gear not a helical one.  Curious how quiet it is.

Nairb

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2024, 09:05:04 PM »

here's a very quick walk around of the battery & chassis ( heads up to lower your volume;), also if you click the link directly you can slow speed to .75 and pause it...  This also gives a good view of the rear shock with piggy back reservoir and adjustments.  In the German video I'd posted yesterday the presenter showed that you access the adjustment controls on the reservoir by removing the seat.

@mrkryptonite

« Last Edit: August 22, 2024, 09:19:27 PM by Nairb »

Nairb

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2024, 09:25:40 PM »

Here's the translated conclusion from the Italian article below.  Can-Am expects 50% of buyers to be first time purchasers (of Can-Am?  Of electric motorcycles?  of motorcycles generally?  either way, having them in their dealer network will get lots of recreational vehicle buyers looking at & test riding them I imagine.  Probably a much wider network than Zero has, and more varied clients than Harley show rooms perhaps?) :

1,586/5,000  Characters

Translate
Original in their approach to design and in the final result, the Can-Am men have focused on motorcycles with human performance, and there is a reason for that. According to their assessments, at least 50% of buyers will be first-time purchasers. The electricity market is currently struggling, but when it rebounds, they want to be ready with an appealing offer for every type of experience, not just for those who are already experts. For this reason, they tried to maintain lightness and reduced charging times, resulting in the choice of a battery pack that is not among the largest, perhaps disappointing those who expected a record capacity or at least one of the most spacious on the market. Their estimate of the kilometers traveled daily by commuters in America as well as in Europe supports their choice: In short, they didn't think about tourism but about daily use. Yet Pulse and Origin have various practical and "clever" solutions that could be particularly appreciated by those who are experienced and demanding. They certainly offer everyone agility, speed, and indeed some brilliant solutions, not to mention liquid cooling. This, however, has probably driven costs a bit higher... For our market, the list price is significant, but the relationship with the average earnings of an American worker is somewhat different. The technical foundation, in any case, seems to be very interesting, and we wouldn't be surprised if Rotax decided one day to put it on the market for other manufacturers (when asked, they neither confirmed nor excluded the possibility).

https://www.moto.it/news/can-am-pulse-e-origin-foto-caratteristiche-e-prezzi-delle-nuove-elettriche-brp.html#google_vignette
« Last Edit: August 22, 2024, 09:29:38 PM by Nairb »

Nairb

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2024, 10:12:29 PM »

The bikes appear to be on display at the Anaheim Convention center for "Club BRP 2025" for those in California that want a closer look.  Seems to be for the public, but maybe is for dealers

Ends today:

https://www.facebook.com/brpinfo/posts/our-most-anticipated-event-of-the-year-is-coming-up-club-brp-2025-anaheim-califo/939126541576717/
« Last Edit: August 22, 2024, 10:27:03 PM by Nairb »

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2024, 10:47:23 PM »

here's a very quick walk around of the battery & chassis ( heads up to lower your volume;), also if you click the link directly you can slow speed to .75 and pause it...  This also gives a good view of the rear shock with piggy back reservoir and adjustments.  In the German video I'd posted yesterday the presenter showed that you access the adjustment controls on the reservoir by removing the seat.

@mrkryptonite

I stand corrected. That's a hell of a long shock, I didn't expect the reservoir to by so high up hidden away.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2024, 11:59:17 PM by TheRan »

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2024, 11:04:39 PM »

Rebound is usually at the bottom at least in the off road shock world.  High and low speed compression at the top.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2024, 02:13:39 AM by Fran K »

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2024, 01:06:35 AM »

It's a really nice piece of engineering though isn't it? I think it's a great start. Hopefully they'll make some bigger ones.

Cas :)

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2024, 02:57:25 AM »

There's definitely more work gone into it than a Zero, but you've got to wonder what's the point when it ends up being heavier and harder to work on.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2024, 03:07:50 AM »

I hate the look of that long license plate extension. It just looks out of place with the design of the rest of the bike. If they had to have the license plate behind the front wheel, they should have used the type of plate holder that bolts on to the end of the swing arm like some other manufacturer's do.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Nairb

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2024, 08:06:03 AM »

It kind of looks like an out of place wart on most bike designs, even the ones hanging off the swing arm like you mention, and also on the Origin and most dual sport/ADV bikes it's this big thing hanging off the end.  Hence the popularity of "tail tidy" kits in the aftermarket.

I imagine this is a leftover design element from the days of needing a largish incandescent bulb housing for the brake light, as well as designers wanting to taper the rear of the bike as much as possible behind the seat.  Since we now have super bright, ultra thin LED lights of wildly varying shapes available to work with, it's probably about time the plate moved up to the rear light area, with a light bar surrounding it, along with the signal lights.  Sure, the rear of the bike might not taper as tightly in design, but then only a light, thin fender would be needed to stop spray and could add to the design.  These Can-Am designs were inspired by a snow owl, well, most birds have long thin, tapering tail feathers (without a license plate hanging off the end;).  The rear light of the Pulse is actually about the same width already as the license plate mount.  Imagine if they'd designed the plate mount up there with a light bar above and below, and vertical orang signal lights either side.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2024, 08:08:09 AM by Nairb »

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2024, 07:08:42 PM »

I think actually it's mostly driven by regulatory requirements.

Cas :)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2024, 07:13:58 PM »

A few years ago I was told by a cop that there was a DOT regulation that required that the license plate and tail/brake light must be located behind the rear tire. That was the first time I had heard of that regulation, but maybe it was mostly aimed at automobile design and motorcycles got stuck with that rule, too.  ???
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6