• September 28, 2024, 12:11:53 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Can-Am developing electric motorcycles?  (Read 3604 times)

Fran K

• View Profile
Re: Can-Am developing electric motorcycles?
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2024, 08:49:28 AM »

Battery charger and motor around the timestamp I put here.
https://youtu.be/py9XuzgRFTQ?t=72

I thought he said something else maybe inverter somewhere in the two videos I have watched plus the live one.

Only 2 year warranty.  Awful lot of buttons near the grips to have closeness to the bikes that entered off road events say 30 years ago, they want to go back to a total closed course bike as their dna.  :)

Nairb

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2024, 09:01:20 AM »

Since they've actually got the batteries liquid cooled, it seems kind of a miss to not have put a 20ish kw DC fast charger on them with Tesla connector, even if it brought the weight up to 425lbs...  Would probably add a couple thousand to the cost as well I guess...  I do get that they're essentially just commuter bikes though given the size, power, & range.  They'll perhaps sell some in Montreal and Vancouver, with I believe an up to $2500 izev credit from the federal government (does Quebec also have an incentive that would apply on top of that?).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2024, 09:37:23 AM by Nairb »

Nairb

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2024, 09:52:10 AM »

No information anywhere on when these will make it into showrooms or to customers.  One can pre-order, which just gets you into contact with a dealer...

Nairb

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2024, 11:16:06 AM »

This article states the weight slightly higher and also mentions that the origin has tubeless tires:

"Pulse weighs 387 lbs (175.5 kg), Origin is 412 lbs (187 kg)"

also power numbers:

"Rotax-built liquid-cooled motor makes 47 horsepower, 53lb-ft/72Nm of torque and has reverse mode"

Can-Am claims zero-60 mph time is 3.8 seconds (4.2 for Origin)

The writer wishes for at least fork preload adjustability on the Origin.  Mentions it would pair well with f-150 lightning/Rivian (also Cybertruck/GMC Sierra/Chevy Silverado EV) for base camp charging & day rides, which is kind of how I currently use my drz400 & honda Pilot (albeit at a fraction of the upfront cost & I can still do 300km+ rides with my 16l tank).  One of those trucks with a gosun rooftop charger and an Origin on a mototote hitch carrier could be interesting.

https://www.overlandexpo.com/compass/first-ride-review-new-can-am-origin-adv-electric-motorcycle/

https://gosun.co/pages/ev-solar-charger
« Last Edit: August 20, 2024, 11:18:06 AM by Nairb »

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2024, 06:46:08 PM »

No information anywhere on when these will make it into showrooms or to customers.  One can pre-order, which just gets you into contact with a dealer...

Frequently asked questions

When are the Can-Am motorcycles going to be delivered?
The all-new electric motorcycles will be available at dealerships in early 2025. However, if you pre-order your vehicle right now, you’ll be among the first to ride them!

That is pretty vague that could mean early 2025 you get a call for a ride on the traveling demo tour bunch of bikes.

While the dealer I visited is still deciding to take on the electric motorcycle, there is already electric snowmobile, did not ask if they took on that.  Electric side by sides and handlebar quads likely are next or coming anyway.  Polaris has a deal with Zero or did.  It is for the new generation, pre order and don't know how far away your dealer is.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2024, 06:50:55 PM by Fran K »

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2024, 08:02:59 PM »

Nairb, a go sun roof charger is not going to do much anything for you except take a bit out of your wallet.
Forget what they claim the ratings are on that thing, IF you got 100 watts out of it you'd be doing very well.  Now times that by maybe 4 to 5 hours a day of full sun,  typically I see 5x rating for my daily production on my panels on a good day, on a super day it pushes towards 6,  that means you might see 400 to 500 watt hours made, which in bike terms, is about a mile or so per day of charge.  Car terms, might get you to complete the turn on sequence and to the end of the block.

Aaron

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2024, 05:56:57 AM »

Since they've actually got the batteries liquid cooled, it seems kind of a miss to not have put a 20ish kw DC fast charger on them with Tesla connector, even if it brought the weight up to 425lbs...  Would probably add a couple thousand to the cost as well I guess...  I do get that they're essentially just commuter bikes though given the size, power, & range.  They'll perhaps sell some in Montreal and Vancouver, with I believe an up to $2500 izev credit from the federal government (does Quebec also have an incentive that would apply on top of that?).

Did we get a pack voltage stat? IIRC it has to be something like 200V minimum for DC
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2024, 06:25:30 AM »

Had a little look round their site and found a downloadable spec list, annoying that we have to hunt around to find out some of the more basic stuff. The charger is 6.6kW, around 1.9kW on 120v. And although the bike only has a 2 year warranty it's at least 5 years on the battery, but only around 30k miles (50k km) which I could see some people exceeding fairly easily.

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2024, 05:39:03 PM »

At least they haven't listed the charge rate in mph

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2024, 05:48:34 PM »

It very much is a competitor for the Zero FXE. And not a bad first stab at it either. Weight is a bit high, power's about right.
Of course we're all waiting for one with twice the battery capacity and 12kW+ charging.

Cas :)

Grauteufel

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2024, 05:54:12 PM »

It’s interesting that the power, performance, top speed and range are identical to the bmw ce04, which complies with the restrictive licensing requirements in Europe and Australia. As far as I am aware neither Canada nor the USA have any such power restricted categories.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2024, 07:33:45 PM »

6.6 kw charger
7 miles per kwh DonTom suggested value
Assuming the two above numbers are the same as in power in from the AC source.  Assume the ramp up to actually charging at 6.6 is half a minute or so hence disregard.
7*6.6=46.2 miles per one hour of parking at a level 2 charger with ability to deliver 6.6kw.
I don't know about others, but my KTM will charge at the max amp draw when essentially depleted and stay that way probably until 90% or so.

Edit:  They are essentially using 8 miles per kwh going by capicity and combined use, and a bit less than 6 at a sustained 50mph.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 08:29:15 PM by Fran K »

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2024, 07:56:16 PM »

6.6 kw charger
Assuming the two above numbers are the same as in power in from the AC source.  Assume the ramp up to actually charging at 6.6 is half a minute or so hence disregard.
7*6.6=46.2 miles per one hour of parking at a level 2 charger with ability to deliver 6.6kw.
I don't know about others, but my KTM will charge at the max amp draw when essentially depleted and stay that way probably until 90% or so.

I mean, wasn't asking for the number, some manufacturers have dropped the actual kW charge rate and started listing mph instead which is a completely meaningless number.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2024, 08:32:29 PM »

6.6 kw charger

I mean, wasn't asking for the number, some manufacturers have dropped the actual kW charge rate and started listing mph instead which is a completely meaningless number.

The moto journalists that won't use a kil a watt or similar meter and go into round about discussions.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2024, 08:58:28 PM »

It very much is a competitor for the Zero FXE. And not a bad first stab at it either. Weight is a bit high, power's about right.
Of course we're all waiting for one with twice the battery capacity and 12kW+ charging.

Cas :)
Except that it's almost £3k more expensive. If only they still sold the gen 2 S/DS in 7.2 it'd be the same price as an FXE, then the money saved compared to the Can-am could get a charge tank and have nearly a grand left over

It’s interesting that the power, performance, top speed and range are identical to the bmw ce04, which complies with the restrictive licensing requirements in Europe and Australia. As far as I am aware neither Canada nor the USA have any such power restricted categories.
Well they're selling them in Europe too, they have an 11kW restricted version although they don't say whether there are any other effects like a decrease in peak output as well. The CE-04 for some strange reason also reduces battery capacity in it's restricted version, and not physically.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6