• September 13, 2024, 04:57:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Energica EsseEsse9 vs Zero SR/F  (Read 2142 times)

Tony

• View Profile
Re: Energica EsseEsse9 vs Zero SR/F
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2022, 06:58:23 AM »

I went from a 2020 SR/S Premium with charge tank, to 2021 Energica Ribelle, and I can't be happier. Amazing range, charge time, reliability. There's a reason everyone goes Zero -> Energica, and never the other way.

This is very interesting input, thanks. :)

What do you think of the sound that someone else mentioned? I remember about five years ago, the EGO I testdrove made this high pitched sound, while the Zero got a more pleasant electric hum. But not sure if it applied to the newer non EGO models...?

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2022, 05:25:14 AM »

Low speed, Energica makes more noise. I like it, it's like a jet taking off. At speed, over 25 or 30 probably, it dies down, much over that and all you hear is wind. I like it, sounds high tech and gets looks.
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

Naked

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2022, 05:53:04 AM »

The EsseEsse9 is 621lbs!!
Pass.
2020 Blue SR/F Premium
2012 Triumph Street Triple R

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2022, 06:53:07 AM »

Pass.
Strangely this is rarely mentioned. All the Energicas are insanely heavy. That's one of several reasons I went with Zero - they're "ordinary motorcycle" weight.

Cas :)

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2022, 12:48:54 PM »

That was the weight of the original EsseEsse9 with the 13.4kWh battery. The new EMCE bikes are 580lbs, not lightweight but the decrease of 40 pounds makes a big difference.
For comparison a SR/F with a power tank is 545lbs.

I remember about five years ago, the EGO I test drove made this high pitched sound. But not sure if it applied to the newer non EGO models...?
The noise is a result of the straight cut gears in the reduction gearing. The new EMCE bikes make a similar noise to the old bikes however the new motor cases seem to have changed the tone. I would say the overall volume of the noise is 20% less, plus the high pitched notes are greatly reduced. Best way I can describe it is a "more refined" sound signature.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2022, 06:37:19 PM »

That was the weight of the original EsseEsse9 with the 13.4kWh battery. The new EMCE bikes are 580lbs, not lightweight but the decrease of 40 pounds makes a big difference.

I remember about five years ago, the EGO I test drove made this high pitched sound. But not sure if it applied to the newer non EGO models...?
The noise is a result of the straight cut gears in the reduction gearing. The new EMCE bikes make a similar noise to the old bikes however the new motor cases seem to have changed the tone. I would say the overall volume of the noise is 20% less, plus the high pitched notes are greatly reduced. Best way I can describe it is a "more refined" sound signature.

Chains are also noisy.  It's why most other eMoto manufacturers went with belts.  You don't notice it much on an ICE bike because of all of the other sounds but when there as many competing sounds the sound of a metallic chain rolling over metal gears is rather striking.  Abe Askenazie (Zero's CTO) noticed this when he first started working for Zero and took one for a ride.  He had contacts at Gates due to his many years working for Harley Davidson and then Buell so he went about working on getting a belt drive designed for Zero.  I'm surprised he went for Gates, as Buell used a different belt in their last years... I forget who (and I'm too lazy to look it up right now).  Maybe because Gates was the larger company and could respond more quickly and economically to Zero's needs.  As small a company as Buell Motorcycle Company was, Zero is even smaller.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2022, 08:18:37 PM »

Chains are also noisy.  It's why most other eMoto manufacturers went with belts.  You don't notice it much on an ICE bike because of all of the other sounds but when there as many competing sounds the sound of a metallic chain rolling over metal gears is rather striking.  Abe Askenazie (Zero's CTO) noticed this when he first started working for Zero and took one for a ride.  He had contacts at Gates due to his many years working for Harley Davidson and then Buell so he went about working on getting a belt drive designed for Zero.  I'm surprised he went for Gates, as Buell used a different belt in their last years... I forget who (and I'm too lazy to look it up right now).  Maybe because Gates was the larger company and could respond more quickly and economically to Zero's needs.  As small a company as Buell Motorcycle Company was, Zero is even smaller.

My understanding is that the BMW F800GT used a belt manufactured by Continental. I think their other models that used belts had Gates versions. But BMW likely went with the low-bidder at some point. They were selling their belts for around $450 USD at their parts counters and the belts could not be bought from any other source. (One poster some years ago on the F800Riders forum claimed that he worked for Gates and even he was not permitted to buy a BMW belt directly from the company.) But now that the GT (which is the last model that uses a belt drive) has been discontinued, drive belts for that model are available from several sources for not much over $100 in Europe.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ms_smart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2022, 11:05:21 PM »

I test drove both before I decided to buy the Zero. Main reason was the noise of the Energica. The Zero is so much quiter. The Zero is also more fun to drive - at least for me and my driving style (less weight). I also appreciate the AC charging (12KW) since in many (European) remote locations it is much easier to find a CEE16 port or a AC wallbox than a DC port.

But I have to admit, that I have difficulties to recommend the Zero after 12000 km. The bike is very unreliable. I had a couple of major breakdowns. This is not good during your summer vacation - even if Zero handled all repairs through warranty.

If I would buy a new bike I have difficulties to come to a recommendation. Both bikes have major disadvantages. May be I would give the Lifewire a chance....

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2022, 12:06:10 AM »

If I would buy a new bike I have difficulties to come to a recommendation. Both bikes have major disadvantages. May be I would give the Lifewire a chance....

If you really like that Zero has powerful AC charging I've got bad news for you about that LiveWire
Pages: 1 [2]