• September 22, 2024, 09:29:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No response to keyless start  (Read 1775 times)

firmware

• View Profile
No response to keyless start
« on: February 03, 2022, 05:12:06 AM »

Hello everyone,

Sorry to introduce myself with a complaint...

I've put about 4000miles (6400km) since I got my
 2022 Energica Eva Ribelle
 in mid September.

After coming home from a relatively short ride, I plugged in (kept in-doors) and charged to my typical 80% SOC limit.
Unplugged in the middle of the night (everything looked fine).

Went to start it (keyless start) the next morning and nothing (no LCD display or LEDs of any kind).  No quick flash Red LED or USB backlight. 
It doesn't even respond to a charger being plugged in (no charger light indication at all).
It seems completely dead as a doornail. 

I've already checked the 7 fuses.

Is there something I'm missing? 

I know the keyless start is finicky (I've started it hundreds of times), but there is not even the normal Red LED quick flash this time.
Is there a way to do a hard reset?  (I've already popped all 7 fuses out while checking)

Regards,
 - Mike/firmware

firmware

• View Profile
Re: No response to keyless start
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 05:13:40 AM »

I forgot to mention, I tried the active and passive keys (on transponder), and neither work.

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 07:45:09 AM »

If you do not see the red LED blinking on the left side of the dash it is an indication that the glass fuse that protects the bikes always on circuit is likely blown.

This fuse is not inside the fuse box. It has a separate fuse holder that is black and should be right behind where the wires exit the standard fuse block. It's a 1.4 turn to open the holder and inside you should find a 315mA 5mm x 20mm glass fuse. The filament is very fine so easiest way to check it is with a multi-meter or just swap it for a new one.

LED on the dash should start blinking again and the bike will function normally.

Hope that gets you back on the road.

firmware

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 07:52:26 AM »

You are right!  The glass fuse is blown.  Thank you so much...  I will replace it tomorrow (hopefully this is the only issue).

Thanks again,
 Mike/firmware

MoneyFor

• View Profile
    • My Current Bikes
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 04:05:58 PM »

Glad it's resolved,  now this had nothing to do with the keyless system, but I really hate that.

So I just want to share this in case anyone has a similar problem. On my 2021 KTM 1290R Superduke I also have a keyless system (just no choice because it is standard). At a certain point I could not start, even keeping the key on the hidden antenna under the plastics, which serves in an emergency, did not work. I searched an hour hard for the problem, as it turned out, my mobile phone that I had put in the tank bag was interfering with the keyless system. As soon as I removed it from the tank bag everything worked as before.

Also my garage door opener interferes with this system, if the door is open I can't get that thing started, I first have to put the bike outside, close the garage door and then I can start.

Because of that thing with my phone I've just been busy for an hour, late for my appointment etc... just because of such a shitty system... a regular key always works and is more than enough for me.

Click HERE here to see my current bikes.

My current bikes:

2003 - HD  Hugger
2016 - Honda GL 1800
2018 - HD  Fat Boy
2019 - HD  Street Bob
2020 - Energica Ribelle
2021 - KTM Superduke 1290R
2022 - HD Street Glide Special

firmware

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2022, 03:50:02 PM »

I know what you mean... The keyless ignition feature seems gimmicky to me.  What is the point of adding this more complex system with more failure modes?

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 05:54:32 PM »

And the "Key not in range" error message you get seems to be a really tough problem to fix. I had it nine times Thursday, four on the way to work, five on the way home. Ugh.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2022, 08:29:47 PM »

I know what you mean... The keyless ignition feature seems gimmicky to me.  What is the point of adding this more complex system with more failure modes?

It could be worse. You could have a keyless system that does other things, like on my BMW that not only has a keyless ignition system but also uses that system to open up the gas cap - if you try to open it within 90 seconds of turning off the ignition. Of course, on a Zero you would have a keyless lock for the charging port cover.  ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2022, 05:22:47 PM »

Big difference with the BMW implementation (that I used fro 70k over 2 years) is that it always worked and even had a tag to put somewhere underneath the fender as a backup. The gas cap was indeed electronically also. Cases and seat were still key.
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2022, 04:06:33 PM »

This issue with the "key not within range" while riding thing...

Yesterday I visited the first official Danish dealership to look at the bikes again. Among other things I asked him about the keyless option, and that, on a Ribelle RS (Keyless) testride last summer in Sweden, I got the "key not within range" message several times.

Dealer said that the sensor is on the left side of the bikes so the keycard should be in a left pocket. Otherwise it has to sense through metal, battery and stuff and it isn't a very strong a signal (otherwise not being very anti-theft like).

You guys and gals having problems with this... Do you most often keep the keycard on your right pockets which is quite natural when being right handed?
/// MrMogensen ///
Former Yamaha FZ6 (since 2008) now sold and find myself wanting a Ribelle.

most

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2022, 11:05:21 AM »

Good hint, I tried that already - at least for me, it does not work.
The „key not in range“ appears to pop up every 5-15km or so, but also I always carry my iPhone along, most of the time also a zumo XT . Will try testing without the phone & Garmin.
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2022, 11:49:47 AM »

It works ok for me most of the time.

Significant improvement over my Ducati.

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2022, 11:01:11 PM »

“Most of the time” is still pretty annoying!

The warning message fills up the display or? Able to toggle anything while it’s shown?
/// MrMogensen ///
Former Yamaha FZ6 (since 2008) now sold and find myself wanting a Ribelle.

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2022, 04:59:23 AM »

Has anyone swapped out the keyless system for a keyed system? I am thinking of getting rid of keyless since Energica doesn't seem capable of fixing this problem. I know you can just get older firmware loaded on your bike which is what I did before. Thought this problem was solved and made the mistake of updating my firmware when I got new tires. Rather than pay a second time to reload older firmware I just want to get rid of the keyless system and not worry about this error code popping up.

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2022, 12:07:02 PM »

Its not even that annoying. If I don't carry my phone and key in the same pocket I don't get the message. You can also easily dismiss it.

Sometimes I have to pull the key from my pocket to start the bike but that's about it. Maybe I have very low expectations after having owned a Ducati, but the key on my wife's Tesla isn't that much better. Also have to sometimes take it out or wait for the car to unlock.
Pages: [1] 2