• October 22, 2024, 03:27:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Zero S or DS - Differences between MY2021 and MY2022  (Read 1688 times)

albenex

• View Profile
Re: Zero S or DS - Differences between MY2021 and MY2022
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2022, 03:19:04 AM »

I didn't change the whole headlamp, just swapped the bulb for an LED. Most will be designed for cars so all you need to make sure of is that it's not directional, so there's no little tabs that stick out over the LEDs to block the light in certain directions. Also you'll want one with a removable mounting plate because the retaining ring on the headlamp won't fit over the heatsink/fan.

This is the particular model I went with and it's been holding up fine. Not available anymore but it'll give you an idea of what to search for: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073WJFHCT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i just received my bike and it's beautiful, except that ugly headlight which is not so useful by night and also heats up so much.
however i just found that in my country (Italy) aftermarket LED lights are prohibited so if using them I'd risk to be fined.. =(

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2022, 06:03:53 AM »

Pretty sure that won't affect the warranty, if you were really worried just swap the originals back in if you need to take the bike to the dealer. I'd just get it out of the way and change them now, the stock headlight really isn't very good.
can you suggest a good LED headlight model?

I can recommend a JW Speaker 8691, but it’s a lot of work adapting/installing.
The 5.75” doesn’t put out as much Lum’s as their 7” but I had enough difficulties with the smaller one. 

I’m quite pleased with the results.
Not sure of its legality in your country.
https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/adaptive-led-headlights-model-8691-adaptive-2/
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

albenex

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2022, 03:16:20 AM »

Pretty sure that won't affect the warranty, if you were really worried just swap the originals back in if you need to take the bike to the dealer. I'd just get it out of the way and change them now, the stock headlight really isn't very good.
can you suggest a good LED headlight model?

I can recommend a JW Speaker 8691, but it’s a lot of work adapting/installing.
The 5.75” doesn’t put out as much Lum’s as their 7” but I had enough difficulties with the smaller one. 

I’m quite pleased with the results.
Not sure of its legality in your country.
https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/adaptive-led-headlights-model-8691-adaptive-2/

Sadly, they're not.

As bike is homologated with halogen lights, replacing them with LED is illegal unless you pass again homologation chain (which is pretty expensive, more than 500€/$)
More on that, cops are really really strict and severe with bikers so any not-100%-legal component will be sanctioned.

I know this is kinda stupid, especially for headlights as LED ones are brighter, consume less power, generate less heat, more eco-friendly etc.. but that is.

now I'm seeking for best effort choice among halogen lights providing whiter light rather than ugly stock yellowish one.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2022, 05:45:54 AM »

Would they even be able to tell that it didn't come stock with LEDs? I mean it's a modern electric bike, not something from the 90s, so it won't look out of place.

sharagan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2022, 06:40:49 AM »

on the street probably not if it has the necessary markings - CE sign in the EU, but on the regular technical inspection they will for sure.

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2022, 10:44:01 AM »

Bummer. 
I was hoping it would be legal as JW Speaker listed ECE on their Mod# 8691 page. 
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

sharagan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2022, 03:40:42 PM »

you can always try and in case of a problem simply change back to stock for the inspection. But I can also imagine that in case of issues with low voltage electric components Zero would see that as an exzellent excuse to void warranty or blame the error on that part, even if it would not be related. But these are just my personal assumptions, I do not have experience with this particular scenario.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2022, 04:43:13 PM »

If you change just the bulbs it literally takes like ten minutes to swap the old halogen back in.

albenex

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2022, 02:41:54 AM »

Would they even be able to tell that it didn't come stock with LEDs? I mean it's a modern electric bike, not something from the 90s, so it won't look out of place.
it's written on official vehicle registration document.. type and kind of light.
many italian bikers were fined for LED headlights.. you can also read amazon reviews on these super LED H4 lights.. who use them consciously risk this.

albenex

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2022, 02:45:30 AM »

Bummer. 
I was hoping it would be legal as JW Speaker listed ECE on their Mod# 8691 page.
fact that JW Speaker are listed ECE doesn't mean they're homologated for my bike: it means they can be homologated but it's up on me.. about 500€ to do so.
my bike would be officially tested and vehicle registration document updated showing new headlight type/kind so in case of cop check it would be ok.
Pages: 1 [2]