• October 22, 2024, 03:26:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zero S or DS - Differences between MY2021 and MY2022  (Read 1687 times)

albenex

• View Profile
Zero S or DS - Differences between MY2021 and MY2022
« on: January 24, 2022, 02:06:46 AM »

Hi,
still I have no bike but I would like to have one.

local store has availability for Zero S and Zero DS MY2021 with discounted price over MY2022 versions which should arrive later this year.
I asked for differences and I'm quite confused as didn't found any official paper from Zero.
Local reseller said it's just 5" TFT display; other media articles told about updated Cypher OS and new connectivity features.

What's real difference then?
have both bikes same claimed autonomy?

thank you for helping sorting out.

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: Zero S or DS - Differences between MY2021 and MY2022
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 03:47:24 AM »

The display is no better, as in it doesn't show any additional information. In fact I do believe there is something that has been removed (don't remember what) and it will have more glare/be harder to see in sunlight. I think the OS is different but I don't believe it makes any practical difference, perhaps in the future if there are any features added with firmware updates.

albenex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 05:17:58 AM »

The display is no better, as in it doesn't show any additional information. In fact I do believe there is something that has been removed (don't remember what) and it will have more glare/be harder to see in sunlight. I think the OS is different but I don't believe it makes any practical difference, perhaps in the future if there are any features added with firmware updates.
thanks for your reply.
yes I definitely prefer older display but I’m worried if there’s anything else under the hood.. or if MY2021 battery is just older thus more degraded than MY2022.

newer versione should let select ride mode via screen buttons however if it’s possible to do so on MY2021 via phone is ok for me, I will mount phone on handlebar for sure

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 05:48:03 AM »

You just hold the mode button on the right grip to change the mode. I don't believe this is any different on the 2022 models as they still have that mode button and the same two buttons on the dash. If the 2021 bike are unused then there will be no difference in battery life, and even if they're used (ex-demo for example) with the low amount of miles that would be put on in a year I'd care more about stuff like tyre and brake pad wear and the price should be significantly lower.

By the way what I said about added features is very unlikely to happen. There's plenty of stuff that could have easily been added to the 2021 bikes that many people have been asking for but Zero doesn't listen. Like wise there's a lot of improvements they could have made to the 2022 and they made a big deal about the announcement just to disappoint everyone with a new paint job and a lame dash.

albenex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 08:08:39 PM »

You just hold the mode button on the right grip to change the mode. I don't believe this is any different on the 2022 models as they still have that mode button and the same two buttons on the dash. If the 2021 bike are unused then there will be no difference in battery life, and even if they're used (ex-demo for example) with the low amount of miles that would be put on in a year I'd care more about stuff like tyre and brake pad wear and the price should be significantly lower.

By the way what I said about added features is very unlikely to happen. There's plenty of stuff that could have easily been added to the 2021 bikes that many people have been asking for but Zero doesn't listen. Like wise there's a lot of improvements they could have made to the 2022 and they made a big deal about the announcement just to disappoint everyone with a new paint job and a lame dash.

ok just ordered S ZF14,4 MY21. Seller guaranteed bike is brand new, still hibernated in the EU warehouse so tyres and brakes should be also in mint condition. of course same warranty as MY22. just about 1000€ more in my pocket

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 04:17:50 AM »

Well, about that warranty.

Zero starts the warranty clock when the bike is first delivered to the dealer, not the new owner.  So you have likely lost one year worth of warranty depending on when they got it.

You can call Zero and give them the VIN and they will tell you when everything expires.

Sorry for the bad news but better to know before there is an issue. 
Still 1k Euros off is a good trade off.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2022, 04:44:02 AM »

Well, about that warranty.

Zero starts the warranty clock when the bike is first delivered to the dealer, not the new owner.  So you have likely lost one year worth of warranty depending on when they got it.

You can call Zero and give them the VIN and they will tell you when everything expires.

Sorry for the bad news but better to know before there is an issue. 
Still 1k Euros off is a good trade off.
That's for demonstrator bikes (+90 days), for non-demonstrators it starts from the date of delivery to the customer.

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/warranty/warranty@my=2020&m=s

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2022, 04:53:16 AM »

Well that's why I said to call.  Just in case.

Perhaps in EU they have warehouses of bikes just sitting and if that's the case here then bravo and enjoy.

My understanding is if it's on a showroom floor then it's subject to test rides and thus a demo.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2022, 06:02:48 AM »

He never said anything about it being a showroom bike, it's unused still sitting in the warehouse. A dealer only needs one demo bike of each model.

albenex

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2022, 10:01:37 PM »

Already asked: bike is from EU warehouse and warranty will start once delivered.
If not new I couldn’t access local government funds for electric vehicles.

Belokan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2022, 07:52:30 PM »

Hello all,

@albenex: I took delivery of my S 2021 two weeks ago in EU (bought in Luxembourg and imported to France).
I've got a very good deal + some "extra luck" on the bike. So far the only cosmetic difference between 2021 & 2022 is the dashboard and maybe the color of the rear shock spring (yellow vs red). I've ordered a 2022 dashboard at Zeromoc and installed it on my bike, it works perfectly. I've also replaced all bulb lights with LED ones and the bike is more fitted for 202x now :)

Cheers !

albenex

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2022, 03:32:07 PM »

Hello all,

@albenex: I took delivery of my S 2021 two weeks ago in EU (bought in Luxembourg and imported to France).
I've got a very good deal + some "extra luck" on the bike. So far the only cosmetic difference between 2021 & 2022 is the dashboard and maybe the color of the rear shock spring (yellow vs red). I've ordered a 2022 dashboard at Zeromoc and installed it on my bike, it works perfectly. I've also replaced all bulb lights with LED ones and the bike is more fitted for 202x now :)

Cheers !
thanks for sharing your experience! I think I'm on the right path by choosing MY2021 too =)
Regarding TFT display, I don't think I'll put it as my area is very, very sunny and also car displays suffer so much sunlight.. I think old monochromatic display is just best option.
Instead I'm very interested on LED bulbs and disappointed that original ones weren't.
I think I'll change them when need to (don't know if I void warranty changing bulbs type/absorpion)

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2022, 04:55:54 PM »

Pretty sure that won't affect the warranty, if you were really worried just swap the originals back in if you need to take the bike to the dealer. I'd just get it out of the way and change them now, the stock headlight really isn't very good.

albenex

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2022, 05:48:37 PM »

Pretty sure that won't affect the warranty, if you were really worried just swap the originals back in if you need to take the bike to the dealer. I'd just get it out of the way and change them now, the stock headlight really isn't very good.
can you suggest a good LED headlight model?

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2022, 05:57:54 PM »

I didn't change the whole headlamp, just swapped the bulb for an LED. Most will be designed for cars so all you need to make sure of is that it's not directional, so there's no little tabs that stick out over the LEDs to block the light in certain directions. Also you'll want one with a removable mounting plate because the retaining ring on the headlamp won't fit over the heatsink/fan.

This is the particular model I went with and it's been holding up fine. Not available anymore but it'll give you an idea of what to search for: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073WJFHCT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Pages: [1] 2