• September 22, 2024, 05:29:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Optimal target SoC setting?  (Read 596 times)

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
Optimal target SoC setting?
« on: December 24, 2021, 03:32:11 AM »

On a typical day, my commute is only 30 miles both ways so I definitely don't need the whole range of the 21.5 pack.

Should I charge the bike up back to 100% SoC overnight? What is best for battery longevity?

MVetter

• View Profile
Re: Optimal target SoC setting?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 03:54:53 AM »

80% should be more than adequate and will help ensure a long battery life. I'd probably do a full 100% every month or so just for balance purposes. Have you taken ownership of the Ribelle yet?

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 04:11:57 AM »

80% should be more than adequate and will help ensure a long battery life. I'd probably do a full 100% every month or so just for balance purposes. Have you taken ownership of the Ribelle yet?

Yes, even got a few rides in just in time for this rainy weather.

Thanks for the advice, I'm keeping it at 80 for now. I believer the long term storage mode also keeps the charge at 80?

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2021, 04:22:42 AM »

I've never used LPR mode because I ride year round. So I don't really know.

MoneyFor

• View Profile
    • My Current Bikes
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2021, 08:38:11 PM »

Mine is in LPR since the end of november.
Click HERE here to see my current bikes.

My current bikes:

2003 - HD  Hugger
2016 - Honda GL 1800
2018 - HD  Fat Boy
2019 - HD  Street Bob
2020 - Energica Ribelle
2021 - KTM Superduke 1290R
2022 - HD Street Glide Special

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2021, 09:35:42 PM »

When commuting (40 miles each way) I usually charge to 90% on the Ribelle since I tend to be ham fisted and I like having the extra juice in reserve. I only charge it to 100% every few weeks to balance the cells like Morgan said.

I do currently have my bike in LPR since our office isn't open yet for use without masks and since it's been too cold for me to joy ride. Once I start commuting or the weather warms up I'll take it out of LPR. But in answer to your question about LPR, I believe it keeps the battery between 30%-70% SoC but I'll have to double check the manual.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 05:36:50 AM »

On a typical day, my commute is only 30 miles both ways so I definitely don't need the whole range of the 21.5 pack.

Should I charge the bike up back to 100% SoC overnight? What is best for battery longevity?

If you need to stow away the bike for weeks, then lpr mode and < 80% is the way to go.

For daily riding there are two considerations:
1: Cell balance
2: Battery longevity.

For 1 you need to charge the bike slowly to full. It may take some days to get there-- (bikes that has idled or been fast charged much should always be charged full a few times to avoid having mandatory balancing while riding).
For 2, the "best" for battery is staying at around 50-60% charge+-  - as defined by the cell chemistry (that may or may not be at 60% SOC, but likely close enough).

So since there are conflicting interests the real deal is how much does it count if you screw up one of them?
In case of 1, unbalanced cells may require your fast charge sessions to use hours for balancing- not a good way to spend your time when you need it. Also poor balance will leave you with less usable energy while riding.
In case of 2, well in the first 5-10 years, it is unlikely that you will see any difference at all, unless you actively search for it. Remember that 100% SOC is not 100% charge compared to what the battery chemistry allows (all manyfacturers reduce the maximum available charge, so that you shall experience longevity). Now There may be some differences- if you fast charge a lot or if you live in a very warm environment, storing the bike hot while charging.

If you mostly charge your bike indoor at 25 degrees Celcius or below (I do), there is very little chance that AC charging will break your battery, even if it is full every time.

If you DC fast charge a lot and most often charge and ride at the yellow status, your battery will wear out faster. Charging 80% or so rather than 100% may help, but you should then also make sure to go to 100% (using slow/ AC charging) about once a week to be on the safe side.

If your level of dedication is high, the probably best practice is charging to 80% during the week, and then once or twice to 100% during the week end. If you experience any balancing issue- charge to 100% all week.

For my own part, i charged my Zero to full always for 5 years, and i had no issues with cell balance (may be pure luck but who knows), and i wasnt able to feel any degredation although there probably was some. My EV-car (Ioniq EV) i always charge to full every night- it has passed 90kkm since 2017 and battery has never been an issue. I tried to see if charging to 80% was a viable route for me this autumn with the SS9+ i got this summer, but i think i have reached the conclusion (after 6kkm so far)  that i will charge to 100% most of the time next summer, both because i want to keep balancing issues out of the way, and then i also tend to forget charging to 100% when i use the bike for leisure rides in the week end.

Sklith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2021, 12:57:37 AM »

There are a few EV manufacturers which have no top buffer in their batteries like Tesla but they warn the user about charging to 100%.

I still don't leave my Ego at 100% unless if I plan on riding the next day. Just doesn't feel right.
2020 Energia Ego

Squelch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2021, 02:29:56 AM »

Ok, so this may be a dumb question but is there a way to tell the battery to stop charging at 80% other than LPR mode? I ride almost every day but I come home (usually about 60%) and plug it into a 220 outlet to charge up full for the next day. I only need about 40% of the battery so I don't have any issues with only charging it to 80% but the only way I know how to do that is in LPR mode. And I don't feel like messing around with button presses and all that, especially at 0500 when I need to get out the door for work. So I only do LPR mode when I know I won't ride for more than four or five days.

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2021, 02:37:47 AM »

There's a SoC limit setting in the menu that you can set to 80% or whatever. It's in the same menu as where you enable LPR Mode.

Sklith

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2021, 04:05:36 AM »

There's a SoC limit setting in the menu that you can set to 80% or whatever. It's in the same menu as where you enable LPR Mode.

My FW version doesn't automatically turn my motorcycle off after it completes charging so it'll drain overnight :(. Some day I'll get that update where it automatically shuts off after an hour.
2020 Energia Ego

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2021, 08:59:55 AM »

My FW version doesn't automatically turn my motorcycle off after it completes charging so it'll drain overnight :(. Some day I'll get that update where it automatically shuts off after an hour.

Charge with your key in the off position. Your bike should turn off when the charge ends unless you are running some ancient FW.

Sklith

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2021, 10:24:21 AM »

Charge with your key in the off position. Your bike should turn off when the charge ends unless you are running some ancient FW.
It doesn't and it is :(
2020 Energia Ego

Squelch

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2021, 04:54:05 AM »

Cool, thanks - I don't think I actually looked through that menu other than to go into LPR mode. Now I can just plug it in when I get home and not worry about overcharging the battery.
Pages: [1]