• September 23, 2024, 09:13:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: 2016 Eva completely dead battery?  (Read 2710 times)

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: 2016 Eva completely dead battery?
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2021, 08:40:50 PM »

Yeah electric is a whole new world.
I got both of my Zeros shipped to me with U Ship.  Much cheaper than any big shipper.
I'm in GA with one bike from FL for like $250 and one from CT for like $400.
The key was being very flexible on time.  They wait until they have a few pick ups and drop offs in both directions before they go.

MVetter and I disagree on a different matter but he does know these bikes well.  Powersports has been a very good source of help for both Zeros and Energicas.  The biggest issue is does the dealer have techs who are excited and into the electric future and are learning all they can about the systems beyond the basic training or are  they old school and resistant to the change.
Powersports seems to have some good guys.

The one thing that disappointed me with Energica was, when they first came out they were supposed to be future proof. I won't say "promised" but they did clearly state that if they made newer better batteries then they could be swapped in the old bikes.
That seems to no longer be the case.
That's one of the reasons I was wondering what they would do with a dead battery.  Also if they would fly a tech into Powersports to replace it on the East Coast since that would be the best option for you as a customer, or owner since you got it used.

Tepco

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2021, 09:30:12 PM »

I just got a quote for $950 one way NC-CA.
I have used Uship before for around $300 on the same coast. Gas is really affecting shipping prices. I am a large proponent for Ebikes and have to defend my view quite a bit. I still own ICE bikes actually several but my plan is to make this bike my primary. Due to the cost of shipping my cheapest option, if the battery can't be saved is $7500. Not sure I'm ready to swallow that just yet.
Gruber automotive repairs Tesla batteries and I've been talking to them about repairs. We need options for this industry to grow and be accepted. As much as I repair other people's bikes I don't think the situation this Energica was put in is unheard of. I'm not exactly sure how long it's been dead, I know it was crashed in April and had power then. And had power for sometime in the tow yard.  So I'm hoping the bike shut itself down when it got extremely low and can be saved.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2021, 10:24:30 PM »

Roger that. I read all your info.
Thanks for the replacement ballpark cost.  It isn't cheap but could be border line cost effective based on the market value for a 2016 Eva, and what you paid for the bike.

I think the new Energica have a long term hibernation mode but I really can't remember what year that went into being.

One other link, as I watch their YT channel with Rich rebuilds, this might be some sort of last ditch option if all others are exhausted.

https://electrifiedgarage.com/
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 10:31:37 PM by NEW2elec »

Tepco

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2021, 11:37:13 PM »

You know Rich rebuilds is a great idea, kind of the pioneer of DIY repairs on Tesla's. I think he understands the battle. I sent them an email we'll see the response. He has 3 shops up and down the east coast now.

Tepco

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2021, 11:07:10 AM »

Haulbikes quote to ship, $1090 one way, ouch. I hope some Ushipper can beat that..by a bunch..

andyman

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2021, 01:18:07 PM »

If someone does take this battery apart I'd love to see pix of the inside.  These batteries should have a BMS somewhere to protect the cells.   You really need to figure out a way to probe the physical cells to see what the voltage is.   Can you purchase any service manual from Energica?

Todd157k

• mgGraCeGD
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2021, 09:59:54 PM »

If someone does take this battery apart I'd love to see pix of the inside.  These batteries should have a BMS somewhere to protect the cells.   You really need to figure out a way to probe the physical cells to see what the voltage is.   Can you purchase any service manual from Energica?

Yes. AF1 has the manual. Looking at it now but only shows how to remove the whole battery with explicit directions NOT to open it up "no user serviceable parts inside".   :'(

andyman

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2021, 09:41:50 AM »

If your gonna buy a new battery I'd say crack it open!  take pix.. or sell the used / dead pack.   I bet the balance and protection circuit is inside there.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2021, 09:33:10 PM »

My guess would be it's potted with epoxy similar to Zero's.

Tepco

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2021, 12:49:01 AM »

If your gonna buy a new battery I'd say crack it open!  take pix.. or sell the used / dead pack.   I bet the balance and protection circuit is inside there.
I have a service manual now, looks easy to pull the encased battery. As heavy as it is I'm not sure it would be cheaper to mail it or just ship the whole bike. I'm getting better quotes so most likely I'll ship the whole bike incase they run into any issues swapping it out.
It's much cheaper for them to swap it out then me.to buy one and swap it myself. Most likely a core charge reason.

Tepco

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2021, 04:07:01 AM »

Fingers crossed, the home charger says "charging"...

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2021, 10:55:49 AM »

Fingers crossed, the home charger says "charging"...

Huh?  Can you explain, please?  Thought this was tried already, something has changed.
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2021, 01:20:04 PM »

I'm willing to bet he's reading an LED off his EVSE that indicates the pilot signal has been accepted so it is actively supplying the onboard charger with AC power. However, as his battery is likely well below the threshold that the onboard charger can deliver, it will do nothing. The bike has not reacted at all during this time.

That is my blind guess. Bike is not charging. OP bought a bike with a toasted battery having no idea how any of this works and now has a chip on their shoulder.

Tepco

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2021, 08:57:16 PM »

I did try a charger at a charge station and it didn't see it. On the first page of this post someone recommended I try a AC charger because it bypasses the initiation process. So I ordered one and that's what I'm trying. If this doesn't work I'll pull the battery and ship it. As far as the warm welcome I'm getting from MVetter? I'm not what you're issue is, I'm simply trying to fix a bike and help others that may have this problem in the future. You may just bring bikes to the dealer, or enjoy telling people it's over their head, but I am a MC mechanic so I enjoy the challenge. I want to try everything first before I ship the battery. If you consider that a chip on my shoulder so be it.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2021, 01:17:56 PM »

I did try a charger at a charge station and it didn't see it.
First evidence the battery was toast. Evidence ignored, went ahead anyway.
On the first page of this post someone recommended I try a AC charger because it bypasses the initiation process.
this is not a thing

So I ordered one and that's what I'm trying. If this doesn't work I'll pull the battery and ship it. As far as the warm welcome I'm getting from MVetter? I'm not what you're issue is, I'm simply trying to fix a bike and help others that may have this problem in the future.
You're the first to come here having purchased a salvage bike with a dead battery.
You may just bring bikes to the dealer, or enjoy telling people it's over their head, but I am a MC mechanic so I enjoy the challenge. I want to try everything first before I ship the battery. If you consider that a chip on my shoulder so be it.

you bought an electric motorcycle with a wasted battery, a part that is ~80% of the cost of the vehicle. Sure, yeah, fight me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4