• September 23, 2024, 09:18:23 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: 2016 Eva completely dead battery?  (Read 2711 times)

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: 2016 Eva completely dead battery?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2021, 06:26:42 AM »

Morgan I should have known when you questioned what Energica NA HQ was that if I told you then you would of course already know.

Looks like AF1 seems to think you can still order a 13.4 kWh bike at $19,540.
But I'm sure you already knew that as well.   

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2022-Energica-EGO---Red-and-Gray-%28Taking-Orders-Now%29-5016905831

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2021, 08:08:57 AM »

The 13.4 bikes are listed on Energica's main site as well. What I'm saying is I don't think a single one has been ordered/sold since the (+) models were announced. If you ordered one from AF1 right now there would probably be a brief pause at the factory in Italy where a line worker goes, "Shit. Does anyone remember how to make the old packs?"

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2021, 01:15:02 PM »

Tepco I just sent you an email related to this with some things to check. Will help come up with a solution once we have a bit more information.

I confirm 13.4kWh bikes are still an option customers can order. Not sure why someone would pick a bike with 60% less battery capacity and no EMCE motor...?

Quote from: MVetter
...It's an empty warehouse and an accountant.
Far from it... <History lesson>
The address listed on the Energica webpage is also the home of CRP USA https://www.crp-usa.net/ and are home to their offices and production facilities (not open to the public).
CRP USA specializes in additive manufacturing using the SLS process and Windform materials. They provide functional parts and prototypes to various sectors including motorsports and aerospace.
CRP USA is a partner of CRP group based in Italy and created by the Cevolini family.
Some really interesting case studies here: https://www.crptechnology.com/motorsport-case-studies/
CRP and their involvement with motorcycle racing was the catalyst for Energica.
Most of Energica's day to day operations have shifted to our location in California.
</History lesson>

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2021, 02:37:13 PM »

Been there! The Mooresville location is actually where I picked up my Eva 107 as TPS wasn't a dealer at that point. A few weeks after that the 600 mile service was due and Chris and Stephano flew out to my house for the service. Stephano went up to Raleigh to talk with TPS about becoming a dealer and an agreement was reached.

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2021, 05:39:20 PM »

Tepco>>>

It could also be x amount of dead battery cells so its not a complete replacement battery.
I looked at one from Germany that had cells replaced due to owner having left the bike at 0% for too long (no idea how long). I got the answer from Energica Italy directly - the dealer that had the bike gave me the VIN number.
Decided to not go for it since I wanted traction control with that much instant power. It was a 13,4 kWh EGO. Bike has been shipped to Modena (Italy) for the repair. Hopefully Energica US can do this if it’s the case.
/// MrMogensen ///
Former Yamaha FZ6 (since 2008) now sold and find myself wanting a Ribelle.

Tepco

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2021, 07:53:52 PM »

Tepco>>>

It could also be x amount of dead battery cells so its not a complete replacement battery.
I looked at one from Germany that had cells replaced due to owner having left the bike at 0% for too long (no idea how long). I got the answer from Energica Italy directly - the dealer that had the bike gave me the VIN number.
Decided to not go for it since I wanted traction control with that much instant power. It was a 13,4 kWh EGO. Bike has been shipped to Modena (Italy) for the repair. Hopefully Energica US can do this if it’s the case.

Hopefully that's the case.

I got the paperwork today and its actually a 2017.

Tepco

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2021, 07:59:55 PM »

So here are my thoughts, Is there a way to hook another lithium battery to it so the charger will recognize it and start charging? Maybe the dealer has something like this? I've done this several times with lithium batteries in power hand tools when they dropped beyond being recognized by the charger. I understand the risks which is why I'm asking these questions.

Just spit balling ideas, I really want to bring this bike back to life.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2021, 05:34:54 AM »

So here are my thoughts, Is there a way to hook another lithium battery to it so the charger will recognize it and start charging? Maybe the dealer has something like this? I've done this several times with lithium batteries in power hand tools when they dropped beyond being recognized by the charger. I understand the risks which is why I'm asking these questions.

Just spit balling ideas, I really want to bring this bike back to life.

There is a specialized tool to 'wake' the battery cells so a qualified technician can close the contactors and check the voltage. From there they can assess whether or not it is safe to try and charge the cells again. You'd have to know precisely which of the connections to the battery are the correct ones, and there's like 30 of them, and in which order to apply the right amount of current to them. To that end I will repeat: This is beyond you. Please call Sev.

Tepco

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2021, 06:50:55 AM »

[quote author=Tepco link=topic=11475.msg108466#msg108466 date=16364663

There is a specialized tool to 'wake' the battery cells so a qualified technician can close the contactors and check the voltage. From there they can assess whether or not it is safe to try and charge the cells again. You'd have to know precisely which of the connections to the battery are the correct ones, and there's like 30 of them, and in which order to apply the right amount of current to them. To that end I will repeat: This is beyond you. Please call Sev.

I did call Sev.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2021, 08:34:49 AM »

So what did Sev say?
Bring it in and I'll take a look at it?

Tepco

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2021, 10:21:41 AM »

Sev wasn't there, I spoke to another service rep who said "Sev is a service manager not a technician so he won't be looking at it."

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2021, 12:47:51 PM »

Fine. I will contact Sev directly on your behalf.

Tepco

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2021, 09:22:27 AM »

I'm going to try Sev again tomorrow. Before I ship my bike to CA I'm trying to find out if the battery is salvageable. If it's not, I might be at the end of the road.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2021, 07:30:54 PM »

I'm interested to know a bit more about your situation.
I know there seems to be a lot riding on Sev's ability to understand what might be possible in regards to salvaging the battery.
But can Power Sports replace the battery there if needed?
Have they or who ever in CA is going to look at it, given you a replacement estimate?

Was the bike for you or an auction flip situation?

Tepco

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2021, 07:48:07 PM »

I'm interested to know a bit more about your situation.
I know there seems to be a lot riding on Sev's ability to understand what might be possible in regards to salvaging the battery.
But can Power Sports replace the battery there if needed?
Have they or who ever in CA is going to look at it, given you a replacement estimate?

Was the bike for you or an auction flip situation?
This bike is for me not a flip. I make videos to help others repair their bikes. I bought this one to answer some questions and because I really enjoy these EBikes. I rode a ZERO DS for a few years and a live wire just recently. Energica has given me an estimate on replacing the battery but shipping the bike across the country is costly. He gave me several options , I'm still working with him so I'll give a complete outcome when it's completed. The toughest thing right now is that there is no one on the east coast that can repair these batteries. I'm hoping Sev can at least tell me if it's salvageable. But from what I'm understanding from Energica, dealers don't have the tools to bring it safely back to life. The total amount of replacing the battery and shipping may be cost prohibitive.
So to summarize, if I can find out if it's salvageable I'll ship it, if it's not, I'm not sure I'll ship it for a replacement. I'll just hang on to it waiting to find a crashed one with a good battery, or a company that can make me one.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4