• September 30, 2024, 12:11:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Throttle replacement for SR  (Read 1531 times)

Kill3rT0fu

• View Profile
Throttle replacement for SR
« on: October 10, 2021, 03:17:43 AM »

So I took a spill and the throttle and grip got a little messed up. yadda yadda yadda, it needs replaced. Is this something the dealer has to replace or can I do it?
I already have the parts I need in my cart on AF1 racing, but before I pull the trigger on a $200 part I'd like to know if i'm wasting my time. I don't know if it's plug and play, or if the dealer will need to do any weird calibrations with the controller.

It may seem like a simple question, but I'm learing there's a lot to these bikes that aren't end-user friendly (Like the New Zeroland channel has discussed)

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: Throttle replacement for SR
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 04:48:54 AM »

Well, what harm is there n getting the parts?

There's no note of such a problem in the unofficial manual.
https://zeromanual.com/index.php?search=Throttle+&title=Special%3ASearch&fulltext=Search

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Kill3rT0fu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 04:52:58 AM »

Well, what harm is there n getting the parts?

There's no note of such a problem in the unofficial manual.
https://zeromanual.com/index.php?search=Throttle+&title=Special%3ASearch&fulltext=Search

-Crissa

I just dont want to be "that guy" who rolls into a dealership with my own parts and say "put them on". I know mechanics usually hate that. Like walking into a restaraunt with my own food saying "cook this".

Also, does zero use a custom throtttle now? Or are they stil magura?

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 05:02:29 AM »

That's silly.  You didn't buy the bike from them.  You're paying for the time to fix something.  You'r not asking them to use parts that are abnormal or out of their ability.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 08:54:29 AM »

I believe the Zero SR throttle replacement is plug and play.    There is a gray plug behind the headlight that the throttle plugs into.   You do need to remove the dash, electronic display and headlight to get proper access.   There is no mention in the parts lists of any programming necessary.  All 2015 and up Zeros seem to use the same part too; 45-08039.

A word of warning if you are going to do the swap yourself.  Today I swapped the handlebars on my SR to those found on the DS/FX model.   When I removed the throttle, I unscrewed the Torx Security screws (T25 with the hole in the center) completely.   This was a mistake on my part.   It allowed the throttle to "disassemble" itself.   The inner spring unwound.  And the entire throttle came apart.  I even dropped a part of the position sensor on the floor and didn't notice it missing.  So my throttle didn't work until I found the part and reassembled it properly.   So if you do the swap, only unscrew the Torx Security screws enough to allow the positioning pin to come out of the hole in the handlebar.  Otherwise you will have to learn how to assemble an electronic throttle.

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 09:38:50 AM »

^^ 100% on only backing the T25 bolts off enough to give clearance for the locating pin.

Made a video a while ago showing the process of putting everything back together.

Think the torque call out for the T25 bolts is 5Nm, if you over torque them the housing may crack.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 10:23:11 AM »

Oh, that's a satisfying video.

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 07:47:44 PM »

^^ 100% on only backing the T25 bolts off enough to give clearance for the locating pin.

Made a video a while ago showing the process of putting everything back together.

Think the torque call out for the T25 bolts is 5Nm, if you over torque them the housing may crack.

LOL.  Where were you yesterday?   Great video.   Glad I don't have heated grips so I don't have to deal with one more cable. 

Kill3rT0fu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 09:27:08 PM »

I believe the Zero SR throttle replacement is plug and play.    There is a gray plug behind the headlight that the throttle plugs into.   You do need to remove the dash, electronic display and headlight to get proper access.

Aw crap really? This bike is getting stripped naked then. Might take this opportunity to swap headlight assemblies with a KTM or something of similar shape.

Do you happen to know what sockets and tools are required?

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 05:42:26 AM »

Aw crap really? This bike is getting stripped naked then. Might take this opportunity to swap headlight assemblies with a KTM or something of similar shape.

Do you happen to know what sockets and tools are required?

If you don't have a windscreen like I do on my SR, then you probably only need a set of metric allen wrenches.   I think there are 6 of the small black ones around the plastic trim and 2 large ones that actually hold the headlight in place.   The only thing that I don't know is how the stock signals attach to the bike.   My SR has a set of aftermarket LED turn signals.

And as I mentioned earlier, you need a T25 Torx security bit.
https://www.amazon.com/T25-Torx-Tamperproof-Security-Bit/dp/B00KRINLUG

Kill3rT0fu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 08:31:13 PM »

Does the throttle come with the grip? If not, are there any tricks you used to get it on? I remember having to get one off a 1998 CBR and it was almost impossibly tight. I don't wish to do this on my zero

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 11:54:07 PM »

Does the throttle come with the grip? If not, are there any tricks you used to get it on? I remember having to get one off a 1998 CBR and it was almost impossibly tight. I don't wish to do this on my zero

I would imagine grips are sold separately.  At least you can buy them that way.   The new grips that I've purchased from AF1 don't say ZERO on them either.    So you might want to buy both sides you can't remove the old one or if it was damaged in your fall.  They are $10 each I believe. 

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2021, 03:35:43 AM »

Is the bar for the throttle slightly shorter?  I had to cut a bit off the grip I put on mine.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Kill3rT0fu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 09:33:57 PM »

Is the bar for the throttle slightly shorter?  I had to cut a bit off the grip I put on mine.

-Crissa

What part did you cut? Do you have any pictures? Why woulda replacement be different than what shipped from the factory?
Here's a pic I found on a domino thread:

Top is magura, bottom is domino

are the zero magura throttles the same as the plain ones you get from EVdrives.com or electricmotorsport? They're twice the price.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 10:32:22 PM by Kill3rT0fu »

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2021, 12:15:03 AM »

I cut off the flange so it wouldn't rub the housing.  I could have cut off the end instead, I suppose.  The Atlas throttle lock I got was upside down compared to the phlange on the throttle, too.  So I couldn't use it.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: [1] 2