• September 19, 2024, 11:48:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Intermittent charging 2017 FXS (fixed by replacing fuse holder)  (Read 4097 times)

mdjak1

• View Profile
Re: Intermittent charging 2017 FXS (fixed by cleaning 10A fuse holder)
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2021, 11:35:51 PM »

No, there is a 10A fuse on FX/FXS/FXE bikes in line with the onboard charger. You can see it in your official owner's manual as #4 on page 6.34 for a MY17FXS. https://prismic-io.s3.amazonaws.com/zero-cms-disco/c55944fa-499e-48e2-83f0-c8dd36657607_OM-XMX-MY17.pdf

I've had both that fuse and that fuse holder need to get replaced, and prevent charging with the onboard for different customers. Always surprises people, as no other Zero bike has a charge fuse inline with the onboard

40 years of working on motorcycles I can't recall ever seeing such a bad fuse holder design in such a bad location.  It is so low on the bike that you have to wonder how it would do on an FX ridden offroad through a stream?

It took a shot of compressed air to even get it to pop open with the locking pin in the correct position.   The fuse itself seems to test OK in a continuity test.   The holder contacts are not really corroded at all.   What holder have you used as a replacement?

PHOTO OF FUSE HOLDER IN LOCATION:
https://imgur.com/a/yHUZc2N

sharagan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2021, 12:19:54 AM »

A Zero through a stream? ...these bikes should not even be washed with running water.
Try accessing the fuses under the seat, inaccessible as well...at least for my fingers.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2021, 12:46:08 AM »

Mine gets rained on regularly.

I'm pretty sure running water isn't a problem.

Instead of lubing chains, we should be lubing our contacts.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2021, 01:58:08 AM »

No, there is a 10A fuse on FX/FXS/FXE bikes in line with the onboard charger. You can see it in your official owner's manual as #4 on page 6.34 for a MY17FXS. https://prismic-io.s3.amazonaws.com/zero-cms-disco/c55944fa-499e-48e2-83f0-c8dd36657607_OM-XMX-MY17.pdf

I've had both that fuse and that fuse holder need to get replaced, and prevent charging with the onboard for different customers. Always surprises people, as no other Zero bike has a charge fuse inline with the onboard

40 years of working on motorcycles I can't recall ever seeing such a bad fuse holder design in such a bad location.  It is so low on the bike that you have to wonder how it would do on an FX ridden offroad through a stream?

It took a shot of compressed air to even get it to pop open with the locking pin in the correct position.   The fuse itself seems to test OK in a continuity test.   The holder contacts are not really corroded at all.   What holder have you used as a replacement?

PHOTO OF FUSE HOLDER IN LOCATION:
https://imgur.com/a/yHUZc2N

I'm a Zero dealer, so I usually just end up replacing with the same part.  You could probably use any inline fuse holder part off Digikey you felt comfortable splicing in, or maybe even remove it entirely. As I said, most Zero bikes don't have that fuse.

I'm running out of things to check. So when you plug in the charge cord, does the green charge light on the dash come on and show a time to charge? If so, the charger is getting activated and the MBB sees it.

If you measure voltage on the quick charge port, with the bike keyed on(contactor closed), do you get pack voltage(DC Voltage)? Then the 100A charge fuse is good. Side note, the contactor closes when you key on and don't charge right?

If you measure voltage on that port and plug in the charger, does the voltage increase on the quick charge port? It should when the charger is connected, and would indicate the bike is seeing the charger output.

Based on the logs and your reports, it sounds like the charger output is not getting from the charger to the BMSes. Most of the time, that's(in order of probability) a bad charger, bad charge fuse, bad charge fuse holder, or very rarely a wiring problem.

It also wouldn't hurt to get your logs again with a recent charge attempt included with timestamp and both mbb/bms logs.

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2021, 02:14:22 AM »

I fixed it.   Thank you Auriga for all your help.   

What I did was take a clean 38 caliber brass bore brush and clean the inside of the fuse holder on the female side and a 22 caliber bore brush for the male side.  I also lightly filed the little metal tab on the male side that makes contact with the metal tab on the inside of the female side.  I blew some compressed air in both parts to clean out any residue.  Then made sure the fuse contacts were also clean.   I re-assembled it and plugged it in.   And the damn thing worked!!   

So I put the old charger back on the bike and all the panels back on.   It is now charging.   Hopefully it will continue to charge.    I guess if I had some dielectric grease on hand I would have lightly greased the fuse contacts but I didn't. 

Also, I hope that if anyone else ends up having a similar issue we have left enough search terms for them to find this thread.  The problem has vexed me for several months now.   Makes me feel good about my Zero again.

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2021, 09:04:52 AM »

Did you check the FX's 10A charge fuse? If it doesn't charge at all with the new charger, its possible that fuse got blown or that fuse holder has gone bad.

Wow, super useful advice for all us FX owners. *claps*

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2021, 03:02:50 AM »

So intermittent charging returned.  I decided it was time to replace the entire fuse holder with a waterproof fuse holder and relocate it to a place that was more readily accessible and less likely to get wet.   

You will recall that this is what the fuse holder looks like in the bike, on the right side behind the rubber cover.   

This is what it looks like on the bench once cut out:

So I cut the wires and soldered them to the wires of the new Bussman fuse holder I bought at Auto Zone.

Then I tucked the fuse holder up beside the battery

When the battery is removed (remember this is a modular so I can remove the front battery) I have access to the fuse holder

ESokoloff

• View Profile
Re: Intermittent charging 2017 FXS (fixed by replacing fuse holder)
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2021, 07:38:54 AM »

The replacement fuse unfortunately is not the same voltage rating of the original & you should replace it with one with the same 125v rating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuse_(automotive)
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2021, 08:04:07 AM »

Such clear and useful photos unfortunately with a repair mistake that can lead to fire. Yikes.  :o  12Vdc ? (not equal to) 125Vdc

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2021, 08:43:08 AM »

The replacement fuse unfortunately is not the same voltage rating of the original & you should replace it with one with the same 125v rating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuse_(automotive)

I can replace it with an Eaton Bussmann - BK/HFA-R holder and use the original fuse.   They even carry these at my local West Marine under a different brand name.
https://www.newark.com/eaton-bussmann-series/bk-hfa-r/fuse-holder-in-line-waterproof/dp/65K4436

It is just disappointing that Zero used a Schurter panel mount fuse holder that has an IP40 rating and then mounted it a very low point on the motorcycle.

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2021, 08:45:15 AM »

Such clear and useful photos unfortunately with a repair mistake that can lead to fire. Yikes.  :o  12Vdc ? (not equal to) 125Vdc

Technically the holder and fuse is rated for 32 VDC, not 12 VDC.   But I doubt it would cause a fire.   More likely the fuse itself would just blow all the time (which it didn't when I charged from 50% to 100% after the installation).

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2021, 10:19:49 AM »

Technically the holder and fuse is rated for 32 VDC, not 12 VDC.   But I doubt it would cause a fire.   More likely the fuse itself would just blow all the time (which it didn't when I charged from 50% to 100% after the installation).

I’m confused as to whether this is on an AC or DC line but the reason for the voltage rating is to insure the gap of the blown fuse is enough to stop an arch from forming. 

DC produces nasty arch’s. 
Watch video here https://www.electriciantalk.com/threads/ac-vs-dc-arc.123745/

Eric
2016 Zero DSR

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2021, 10:54:43 PM »

Replaced the ATC blade style holder with a tubular style holder and reused the original fuse.   The new fuse holder is waterproof and rated for 250 V AC and DC.  I even labeled the fuse holder for the next owner.   

« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 11:17:16 PM by mdjak1 »

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2021, 11:42:50 PM »

Nice, the other was probably fine but it's nice to get a properly rated/waterproof fuse holder for the future.

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2023, 08:33:03 AM »

Replaced the ATC blade style holder with a tubular style holder and reused the original fuse.   The new fuse holder is waterproof and rated for 250 V AC and DC.  I even labeled the fuse holder for the next owner. 

My turn this week. I'm so grateful for thread and to Auriga for originally suggesting the issue! Thank you guys.

When I plugged in, the green battery light blinked a few times then stopped. It's cycled codes 45 (Sidestand), 47 (MBB Charger Connected Disable), and (sometimes briefly) 15 (Charger Attached But Not Charging).

I tried a whole lot of things I don't need to describe now, but the thing that fixed it was adjusting the little contact prong on the fuse holder lid. I filed it slightly and bent it out a little more. I don't know how they expect that tiny metal wiper to pass 6 amps.

Question for you: considering it's an alteration on the very expensive harness, how does one cleanly replace that fuse holder? Will the wires disconnect, or do they have to be cut? And if cut, do you crimp/solder/shrink wrap it?
Pages: 1 [2] 3