• September 19, 2024, 10:17:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Intermittent charging 2017 FXS (fixed by replacing fuse holder)  (Read 4084 times)

mdjak1

• View Profile
Intermittent charging 2017 FXS (fixed by replacing fuse holder)
« on: September 21, 2021, 01:30:44 AM »

My 2017 FXS 6.5 modular has an issue where often when the bike is above 50-60% SOC, the bike will start to charge - similar to the OP video in this recent thread;

https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=11160.msg104388#msg104388

https://imgur.com/gallery/p0WYaNk

And if you leave the bike plugged in long enough the green flashing light goes away and is replaced with a red flashing light.

Usually when below 50% SOC, the bike will charge completely.   

But I have gotten lucky recently where I tried to charge from 80% SOC and it did charge fully. 

At times after a failure to charge, I will take the bike out for a ride, come back and it will charge OK. 

I pulled the attached logs from the bike after it refused/failed to charge.   Any help with those would be appreciated.

I have purchased but not yet installed a new OBC.   I didn't want to install the OBC yet in case it wasn't the fault of the OBC and if the issue remained intermittent. 

Anyone have any ideas on why I am having this intermittent issue?   Are there other components that I should be looking at that might cause this issue that I as an owner can replace?  The dealer I used to get a BMS replaced on the bike wasn't particularly good/timely with the repair.   I would rather try to sort this myself before taking it to a dealer (probably a different, further away dealer).

« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 03:10:42 AM by mdjak1 »

Auriga

• View Profile
Re: Intermittent charging 2017 FXS (fixed by cleaning 10A fuse holder)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 04:08:25 AM »

Gotta be careful reading and interpreting those logs. The MBB logs show internal BMS faults, but that isn't the problem.

From your BMS logs, which contains these messages:
07207     04/06/1970 23:24:52   ERROR: State Machine Charge Fault. Mode:2, I:83mA, dV/dt:-1mV/

I can tell you you need a new charger, a very common issue. They essentially mean that the BMS is expecting to see charge current are getting zero or almost zero.

If you're somewhat handy, you can order and replace the charger yourself. Or you can ditch it and only charge with an off bike one as some people do
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 04:10:36 AM by Auriga »

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 06:12:16 AM »

So as I mentioned I do have a new OBC.   And on advice I installed it.   Unfortunately, there is no change.   Still will not charge.    There is one other possibly odd behavior that the bike exhibits when plugged it, key in OFF position.

If you stand the bike up (kickstand still in place), and roll the bike back and forth, you can hear the motor/encoder just like if the key were in the ON position.   Additionally, the LCD display flashes the digits.   I have uploaded my own video of this here:

https://imgur.com/a/qAywgCE

You can't hear the motor/encoder but it is clearly heard when you are standing there next to the bike.   Now I have no idea whether this is normal as this is my only Zero but I suspect it isn't normal. Perhaps someone else who has a Zero that charges normally on the OBC can try this and let me know.

So any other ideas besides the OBC?

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 06:37:07 AM »

The motor will provide just enough charge to trigger the pedestrian warble, if that's what you're talking about?

My washing machine does that, too ^-^

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 07:15:38 AM »

The motor will provide just enough charge to trigger the pedestrian warble, if that's what you're talking about?

My washing machine does that, too ^-^

-Crissa

If you plug in your S while the key is off so it is charging, then stand the bike upright and move it back and forth, do you rear the whine/grinding noise (pedestrian warble noise??) that is normal when you turn the key on and move the bike around?  Does your LCD display flash and count digits like is shown in my IMGUR link?

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 09:27:49 AM »

So as I mentioned I do have a new OBC.   And on advice I installed it.   Unfortunately, there is no change.   Still will not charge.    There is one other possibly odd behavior that the bike exhibits when plugged it, key in OFF position.

If you stand the bike up (kickstand still in place), and roll the bike back and forth, you can hear the motor/encoder just like if the key were in the ON position.   Additionally, the LCD display flashes the digits.   I have uploaded my own video of this here:

https://imgur.com/a/qAywgCE

You can't hear the motor/encoder but it is clearly heard when you are standing there next to the bike.   Now I have no idea whether this is normal as this is my only Zero but I suspect it isn't normal. Perhaps someone else who has a Zero that charges normally on the OBC can try this and let me know.

So any other ideas besides the OBC?

Did you check the FX's 10A charge fuse? If it doesn't charge at all with the new charger, its possible that fuse got blown or that fuse holder has gone bad.

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 09:40:07 AM »

Did you check the FX's 10A charge fuse? If it doesn't charge at all with the new charger, its possible that fuse got blown or that fuse holder has gone bad.

Is this the one you mean:  https://zeromanual.com/wiki/XMX_Platform/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Charging_Circuit_Fuse

It is a 100 amp fuse.

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 09:59:25 AM »

No, there is a 10A fuse on FX/FXS/FXE bikes in line with the onboard charger. You can see it in your official owner's manual as #4 on page 6.34 for a MY17FXS. https://prismic-io.s3.amazonaws.com/zero-cms-disco/c55944fa-499e-48e2-83f0-c8dd36657607_OM-XMX-MY17.pdf

I've had both that fuse and that fuse holder need to get replaced, and prevent charging with the onboard for different customers. Always surprises people, as no other Zero bike has a charge fuse inline with the onboard
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 10:02:28 AM by Auriga »

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 10:33:50 AM »

I haven't tried moving my bike while plugged in.  But that's what my washing machine does.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 07:36:27 PM »

I haven't tried moving my bike while plugged in.  But that's what my washing machine does.

-Crissa

So you are telling me your replies here are totally useless.  Thanks.

sharagan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 08:16:48 PM »

My experience is when moving the bike while charging it does make the same noise as when moving it keyed on, so I think it is normal.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 08:26:39 PM »

So you are telling me your replies here are totally useless.  Thanks.
No, just that I don't think the warble is related.  You should be in QA.  Who thinks to move a bike that's keyed off and plugged in?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2021, 08:43:28 PM »

My experience is when moving the bike while charging it does make the same noise as when moving it keyed on, so I think it is normal.

Thank you for your reply.   You didn't happen to notice if the display also momentarily shuts off and then displays an odd digit count like in my video here:   https://imgur.com/a/qAywgCE

sharagan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2021, 08:46:48 PM »

I think yes, if I remember correctly

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2021, 08:52:02 PM »

Thanks.   Good to know that isn't abnormal behavior.  I guess I will start chasing intermittent electrical connections around fuses and the likes.   I think I will also switch the battery positions while I have them out.
Pages: [1] 2 3