• September 23, 2024, 05:21:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Stripped passenger peg bolt  (Read 559 times)

nevetsyad

• View Profile
Stripped passenger peg bolt
« on: July 22, 2021, 06:48:20 AM »

So, I had a cheap hex wrench and it kept slipping, and I stripped one of my passenger peg bolts. I have better stuff coming tomorrow, and a proper breaker bar. Any advice on any sprays or anything I can do to help the new tools bite in better?
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

staples

• View Profile
Re: Stripped passenger peg bolt
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 09:02:46 AM »

If you can get some PB Blaster or WD-40 in the threads that could help. Another thing to try would be to hammer the bolt to try and loosen the threads a bit. But it might all be for nothing if it's totally stripped.

Are any of the threads exposed on the back side? You might be able to turn the bolt by grabbing it with a vise-grips from the back.

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 09:24:08 AM »

Could you post a picture of the bolt from front and behind?

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 01:23:46 PM »

Bummer :( those are not the bolts you want to strip. Because of their location the work area is tight.

DO NOT use a bolt extractor. They are very brittle because of their harness. If you break one off in the bolt it will make other solutions impossible or much more difficult.

Normally when I round off a M6 (5mm allen) bolt my go to is to hammer a Torx T30 socket in, it's slightly larger at 5.5mm. Once seated more often than not I can get the bolt free.
The impact from the hammer strikes can also help shock the threads free.
Looks like a T40 is 6.6mm so that should work, only question is do you have enough working area to swing a hammer to seat the socket? Might want to pull the rear wheel to get more space.

Because the bolts are recessed in the passenger peg brackets it can be hard to get penetrating oil to the threads. If you pop the seat and remove the black fan shroud (careful of the connector) you should be able to see the threaded bosses welded to the subframe that the bolts are threaded into, quick squirt of lube here might help.

If you know someone that is a talented welder or have a fabrication shop in your area the next suggestion is to have them weld another bolt or a nut to the head of the stripped bolt. DC TIG welding allows you to weld steel to steel in close proximity to aluminum. Once things cool down the old and new parts should be one and a quick turn of a wrench should be all it takes. Also the heat from the welding should help loosen the bolt. Just make sure the grounding clamp has a good connection and is located close to the weld area.

If welding is not an option my next step would be drilling off the head of the bolt. The hardware is stainless steel so you need to use quality HSS drill bits. Also make sure you use cutting fluid because, if you overhead the bolt you will work harden the metal making drilling excessively difficult. If you have a center punch use it to create an indent in the middle of the bolt head. Start with a small (pilot) drill bit 1/8", once you have a hole ~ 1/2 inch below the face of the bolt switch to a 1/4" or 7mm drill bit and enlarge the hole. Last step is to use a 11/32" or 8.5mm bit to separate the bolt head from the threads. Once the bolt head is removed the pressure between the threads should be released, most of the time you can use a pick to just turn the remaining part of the bolt out of the hole. If it does not come out freely this is where I would use a extractor, I am a fan of the Pro Grabit's made by Alden.

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 04:31:43 PM »

Yeah, worst location ever for this to happen. I tried the hammer trick, hoping a better bit tomorrow when it arrives may do it, when lightly hammered in.

The bolts go up under the bike, and they’re protected from accessing well by the bike plastics. Can’t grip them with anything or try to wedge anything on the side of it to tap to get it moving.

Guess I’ll give the new tools a try and if they don’t do it, bring it in to a shop. Was hoping there was some crazy solution, glue a wrench in there or something, I don’t know. Hah.

No, no welders around me that I know. Other bolts all came out no problem this one though. Ug.
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 08:57:20 AM »

OP consider the following if you have time.

3D printed drill guide - the critical operation is starting the hole after that it serves as sheathing to protect paint for the step drills to follow. 

The recess is quite deep so this will make it easy to use.

We can get one in the mail Monday AM - please advise.

Regarding extractor tool, if hole is suitably sized in diameter and depth, it won't snap if kept concentric.

Not sure what other options you have - too tight to tig weld IMO.

BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 02:15:36 PM »

Coincidentally I just saw a random TikTok in which a guy puts a piece of rubber band across the stripped hole, then shoves it in with the hex bit and turns it out. Probably BS, but maybe rubber or aluminum foil or other material might be worth a try.

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 01:10:12 AM »

BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)
Pages: [1]