• September 23, 2024, 05:28:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Going to try a Ribelle - So excited!!  (Read 1885 times)

MrMogensen

• View Profile
Going to try a Ribelle - So excited!!
« on: July 18, 2021, 05:44:24 PM »

On friday the 23rd of July I am going to Malmö (Sweden) to try an Energica Eva Ribelle.

Energica switched dealer in Sweden to a much larger company. They have about 5-6 semi large stores across Sweden. They should have already received the demo bike but unfortunately there was a mixup and it ended up in Stockholm.

With a little luck they should receive it within a few days...

It's even an RS model - not that I will be able to notice the difference since I never ridden an Energica before. Will start in ECCO mode for sure.
Will be interesting when comparing to the SR/F I testet a few months ago.

Read somewhere that some feel that the somewhat aggressive seat on the Ribelle makes some riders glide into the "tank". Should I bring a nutcup?  :o
Is the seating vs. footpegs on Ribelle vs SS9 just about same position or more cramped on Ribelle due to learning more forward on the seat?

They are pretty close to Tesla Malmö and that's perfect cause Tesla has to service/switch the front support arms. Car sounds like an old wooden pirat boat every time it hits the smallest imperfection on the road. Happens to a lot of Model 3's... They used the wrong lube for the bearings I guess. The 2 service centers near Copenhagen had time for me in 30 days... jezuz... luckily they are soon opening af 3rd.
/// MrMogensen ///
Former Yamaha FZ6 (since 2008) now sold and find myself wanting a Ribelle.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: Going to try a Ribelle - So excited!!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 06:14:54 PM »

Great man!  I'm happy for you.
As for riding position that's a personal preference so just try to use an open mind and know there will be differences, but you can likely get used to them.
I think you will feel a difference between the 110hp SRF and the 150ish hp Ribelle RS. 
If you have plenty of CCS stations around you, which in EU you should be good, Energica is probably the best choice.

Good luck and tell us how it went.

reini

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 08:40:55 PM »

It's even an RS model - not that I will be able to notice the difference since I never ridden an Energica before. Will start in ECCO mode for sure.

When I picked up my bike I've asked my dealer if he thinks I should put in in ECO first. He just told me: "Nah, leave it in sport". Which is what I did ever since  :)
Energica SS9+

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 03:32:54 AM »

When I picked up my bike I've asked my dealer if he thinks I should put in in ECO first. He just told me: "Nah, leave it in sport". Which is what I did ever since  :)
I find the Urban mode to be more than fast enough for me and the throttle feels a bit less touchy.

However, I ride motorcycles much like a little old lady. I am no speed freak.

And MUCH better range on electrics when riding like an old lady.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 05:08:51 AM »

I have never even tried anything other than sport mode! Same with my KTM 1290. If I didn't want the level of performance that either bike can put out I wouldn't have bought them. Enjoy!

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 05:32:02 AM »

I have never even tried anything other than sport mode! Same with my KTM 1290. If I didn't want the level of performance that either bike can put out I wouldn't have bought them. Enjoy!
I can always get that by pressing a button!  I rarely find the need.

I even use ECO mode when I expect to be on city streets for a while. With max regen.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 08:34:11 AM »

OP - you exhibit very familiar energica newbie exuberance which turns into anxiety once a down payment is made and silly enough this is called human nature - wishing you best on the test ride dude.

My suggestions.

Be totally objective regarding foot-peg position and seat contour on the Eva series.  You will not get the appreciation on a simple test ride because of brain overload to too many sensory inputs.  I was a doubting thomas and now a convert re: the nuggies can be saved from excessive squeeze by place butt up the slope of the seat when riding - the crouched legs are still comfortable and peg position allows easy weight shift from butt to pegs - the seat valley serves to plant one's feet on terra ferma once stopped allowing nuggie relief by simple geometry.  All this maybe won't work for short rider but it should and for tall as me it was and continues to be a pleasant surprise that the ergos and weight and regen force work in harmony when blasting at double posted limits on twisty country roads.  My freaking Eva is like a gorilla w/ ballet slippers but not so fun on super-slab as the squared component to aero-drag can really be felt.

Bring checkbook.

BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 10:24:08 AM »

Hope you enjoy your test ride.

I would suggest you start with the bike in "Urban" mode with regen on medium, also confirm the traction control is set to 3 or 4.
Ask your dealer to show you how to change between the drive modes and make sure you understand how this process works.
If the bikes state of charge is between 97 and 100 you will not have full regen, can be a bit of a surprise the first time you roll off the throttle and the bike does not slow down much.

After you spend a little time with the bike put it in "Sport" and see what it will really do. Also swap to high regen to see the difference.

The Ribelle RS with the new motor is a weapon and should be treated with respect. I have a lot of seat time on these bikes over the years and I am a bit intimidated by it's performance.

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 01:54:14 PM »

Thank you all :)

I am familiar with regen from my Model 3 LR AWD but of course it's a different experience on a bike - at least it was on the SR/F testride.

I am 182cm (so about 6' tall). Motorcycle pants are long legs edition so I guess I have a chance to save the nuggies :)

The one I am testing will not have the EMCE motor. But I don't mind that at all... If I end up buying a 2nd hand without EMCE I won't know what I am missing.
/// MrMogensen ///

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 02:54:04 AM »

On friday the 23rd of July I am going to Malmö (Sweden) to try an Energica Eva Ribelle.

How was your ride? Anything worth noting?  :)

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2021, 05:21:33 PM »

Motorcycle pants are long legs edition so I guess I have a chance to save the nuggies :)

Don't worry, when the Mrs. finds out how much it costs you won't be needing them again.

Cas :)

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2021, 08:37:57 AM »

The silence is certainly killing me.

If one were to explain the polar effect to "So excited!!" do you suppose...

a) As Cas has said, it's a wifey thing?

b) Total disappointment doesn't want to get flamed?

c) Dropped demo bike and is too embarrassed to tell us?

d) Nuggie discomfort?

Sorry OP just trying to prompt a reply and not make fun, sir.

BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2021, 07:53:19 AM »

Hahaha!

Sorry I got busy at work (since my holiday ended after the weekend where I met miss Ribelle).

No drops.
Fiancé knows about the pricing (getting married at 27th of August). Been postponed since mid 2020... For future readers it's cause of Covid and not personal business. I am not going to put down the full amount for a new. It's august now and decided I will wait until next season. I might get lucky and grab a 2nd hand one during winter where a bit of the price has been chewed off. Even if I wanted to buy it brand new she trusts me enough and knows that I would never buy something that I couldn't afford. We share all joint expenses and buy most stuff together but other than that we have our own account. She doesn't have to ask me if she wants some clothes and I don't have to ask her if I need (or really just want) some tools :)

Energica was new to the dealer. He had tried the bike the day before and nearly looked scared when he said "it's f***ing fast!". He was afraid I would turn off traction control but I told him that I was not a moron. He said don't bother with ECO mode on the testride cause you will hate it unless you are about to run out of battery. Startet riding on URBAN mode and regen set to 3 (out of 4 as far as I remember).

I think the bike was surprisingly easy to handle. I had a tendency to oversteer many corners because I was thinking "it's heavy and I need to force it" but I didn't have to at all. It's been a few months since I tried the SR/F but my guess is they are pretty close in the handling section - at least at the generally cautious cornering I did.

Dealer was a bit out of central town of Malmö so I was near an almost deserted industrial area and a highway. Zoomed around for 10 minutes to feel the brakes and handling. URBAN mode felt a bit like my Yamaha FZ6's power. Pretty quick if in the right gear but I am quite used to it.
Headed for the industrial area where I found a deserted 500 meter straight. Selected SPORT and decided to do go for a short rollout and gave it nearly full throttle... "ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh" was what my ears heard my mouth ghasp... Those 500 meters quickly felt short. Turned around and went full throttle... "aaaaaaaahhhhhh hahaha".... Had do to that a few times more.
Headed for the highway to feel what this naked bike was like. I have had the FZ6 for about 15 years and have almost only ridden on this bike this whole time so I am not at all used to naked bikes. The Ribelle didn't have the optional mini screen so there was no place to hide from the wind whatsoever. I forgot my earplugs at home but I noticed what I already knew - that my FZ6's screen has a tendency to direct the wind directly at my helmet when sitting upright. Even with a Schuberth S2 it's quite loud without earplugs. Last year I added one of those extender clip-on screen that redirects most of the air from bottom part of helmet to toppart of helmet. Now only have to lean a bit forward to get relieved.
Back to Ribelle... I will seriously consider that my next bike could be naked. It's always easy to fit a screen (original or not) to see if it's better or worse.
Back at the dealer I tried the slow reverse and forward mode. I was on the bike while doing it so I missed the opportunity to feel how heavy it might have been leaning against me.
All in all... WOW  ;D

Nuggies still in good condition. Seating positions felt really well - at least for the 20-30 minute test ride.
Couldn't really figure out if the footpegs where better positioned for me than on my FZ6. Unfortunately I drove my car to the dealer cause my big brother was with me, so I couldn't jump from bike seat to bike seat to test.

Bike had 60% battery when I started and somewhere between 25-30% when I stopped. Is there a noticeable difference in power if the battery is fully charged or 50-60%?

IMO the Ribelle looks way better in real life then on pictures. I thought I disliked the owl-like lights but they just look damn cool.
Even though the pricetag is not extremely different I might end up with a SS9 instead. This depends on the insurance. The companies I have spoken with didn't have electric bikes in their catalog so they come up with a price solely based on "price and ponies". The cheapest insurrance offer I got for Ego/Ribelle is the same as my Model 3 LR AWD costs... and I have been used to pay 1/4 of that for the FZ6. Maybe I should consider myself lucky that the insurance companies don't look at torque  :-X

All in all... what an epic day I had  ;D
/// MrMogensen ///

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2021, 08:22:44 PM »

Bike had 60% battery when I started and somewhere between 25-30% when I stopped. Is there a noticeable difference in power if the battery is fully charged or 50-60%?

Glad you enjoyed the test ride. Nothing official, but to me it seems as if there is a bit of a power drop off once the battery drops into the 20% range and lower. Overall, it seems to retain power better across SoC levels than my 13kw EsseEsse9 did. Maybe Demoni can chime in if there's any kind of official specs regarding power vs SoC. Again, just going by my seat of the pants impression.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2021, 07:03:39 PM »

Glad you enjoyed the test ride. Nothing official, but to me it seems as if there is a bit of a power drop off once the battery drops into the 20% range and lower. Overall, it seems to retain power better across SoC levels than my 13kw EsseEsse9 did. Maybe Demoni can chime in if there's any kind of official specs regarding power vs SoC. Again, just going by my seat of the pants impression.

Allow me to make that an official statement. Newzeroland did this test first on his 13.4 kWh EGO and I repeated it on my 21.5 kWh SS9+.

2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---
Pages: [1] 2