• September 23, 2024, 07:29:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Regen and CC user interface while riding..?  (Read 1852 times)

2014ZeroSR

• View Profile
Re: Regen and CC user interface while riding..?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2021, 08:43:35 AM »

I have absolutely no problem with the way I change Regen while riding. First, I don't often change regen modes. But when I do at this point it's automatic for me. Trigger left hand pointer ringer, toggle thumb right however many times I need, press Mode twice to confirm. Done. I can do this in under a second and not even need to look at the screen.
That sounds horrible.

-Crissa

Crissa, It's actually a very smart and safe way to change modes. His eyes never leave the road - a huge safety advantage. I hope to one day mimic his way of changing modes.

Energica's are very different from Zero's - there's 16 combinations, all preset. I feel Energica's presets are just right.
Whereas - A 14 SR is very simple, 3 mode settings, 2 are preset and 'custom' is the only adjustable.

Spend time on an Energica and you quickly learn why Morgan's  way of doing business is smart.

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2021, 09:40:27 AM »

Don =>

Why not just one-pedal drive your Tesla (normal regen). In case you use “creep mode ON” I understand you would dislike one-pedal driving.
Are you concerned about brakes not getting much exercise or do you believe you get better range when coasting?

I don’t think I could measure any +/- in range between regen at low or normal - at least not in flat Denmark. Regen just suits Creep mode OFF better.
Every 6 months (when switching summer/winter tires) I service the brakes. They work perfectly and they have very little wear after 2 years.

Simple is good - no efficiency loss when regen is fixed - the higher the level the more finesse in throttle control to yield the equivalent to coasting - you are coasting when energy consumption is zero.  Setting chosen value allows virtually no brakes for city except always the last 10ft and heavy reliance on regen for aggressive riding is the only way to manage the weight of the bike.  At first that depenacy is nerve racking then one warms up to the precision and repeatability which speaks to reliability - riding a little scared is good too such as wondering what-if regen went open circuit...mtbf is unknown...
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2021, 10:15:28 AM »

yhafting thanks for putting together such a comprehensive analysis of the CC and regen systems. Feedback from riders is always appreciated.

My 2c on regen... Changing how the bike behaves needs to be a conscious decision made by the rider. I agree it would be faster to be able to swap between regen modes with the flick of a switch. Yet the danger in accidently bumping a switch that changes your mode from high regen to regen off is just too great.

Experience with the bike will allow you to access the drive mode menu and adjust settings without taking your eyes off the road. Getting accustomed to the coast position of the throttle and how the variable regen works will go a long way towards setting and forgetting your regen mode. I normally drive in the high position, sometimes when driving in the city I'll switch it to medium. Medium is also useful when riding tight twisty back roads with imperfect road conditions, keeps any accidental throttle movements from upsetting the bike too much.

As for the function of the CC - pretty much everyone agrees that the CC button is too far away to comfortable enable while maintaining constant throttle position. My hack for this is to engage cc using my left hand, not ideal but it allows you to maintain your speed. Other members have swapped the set and cc buttons on the control, and rewired the circuit to use an additional button on the left side.

Quick engagement of the cc function is again something if done inadvertently could be dangerous, by accidently bumping a button it would cause you to accelerate quickly without throttle input. I see the other side of this coin and totally understand how cc would be easier to use if the function of the buttons changed. Being able to select between 2 different function modes (current and what you suggested) of the regen system in the bike's preferences menu might be an way to satisfy everyone?

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2021, 10:56:16 AM »

Is there a downside to moving the CC button assembly to the left handlebar position besides having to remove tank panels disconnect item first, reroute and reconnect?

Yes, it becomes a two-handed slightly awkward operation to invoke GO (red kill actuator not mirrored), so what?

Was gonna try this in the winter but cautiously...prefer a left hand variant form manufacturer, does one exist (red actuator mirrored from OEM)?
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2021, 11:40:02 AM »

My 2c on regen... Changing how the bike behaves needs to be a conscious decision made by the rider. I agree it would be faster to be able to swap between regen modes with the flick of a switch. Yet the danger in accidently bumping a switch that changes your mode from high regen to regen off is just too great.
As for the function of the CC - ...

Being able to select between 2 different function modes (current and what you suggested) of the regen system in the bike's preferences menu might be an way to satisfy everyone?
Thanks for chiming in! (Writing on a mobile today, so i will be brief:)
I think the dangers of changing regen can be mitigated by not being round robin toggle, but rather right=up, left=down when activated directly using mode button alone (my suggestion). At the end it would stay at the present choice. This would actually be safer than today, when this risk is present after using (left) set button. The method of today also presents the danger of a accidentally selecting ride-mode, which seems unnecessary (at least with the SS9 that has excellent throttle control at all speeds in sport. There is much less incentives to change than on my previous bike, which i did frequently. Now i guess i might use rain-mode when it is wet, as a reminder of just that, i dont think ill feel the urge to switch in dense traffic or while splitting lanes as i did with the Zero).

I would be very happy if my suggestion for Cc was possible to enable in the prefeferences. The same goes wirh the regen setting proposal ;)

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2021, 11:25:54 AM »

I have absolutely no problem with the way I change Regen while riding. First, I don't often change regen modes. But when I do at this point it's automatic for me. Trigger left hand pointer ringer, toggle thumb right however many times I need, press Mode twice to confirm. Done. I can do this in under a second and not even need to look at the screen.
That sounds horrible.
Crissa, It's actually a very smart and safe way to change modes. His eyes never leave the road - a huge safety advantage. I hope to one day mimic his way of changing modes.
It still sounds terrible.  How many button toggles in toto?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

reini

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2021, 12:27:30 PM »

It still sounds terrible.  How many button toggles in toto?
It isn't too bad to get used to it. And then you don't have to change it as much as on a Zero because you can dial the regen continuously with the twist of your wrist. I leave it in medium mode most of the time.
Energica SS9+

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2021, 03:28:19 PM »

I don't double-click to confirm shifting down in the Mazda or Ducati.  The chorded shift is enough safety, and even that seems like too much for regen.  I have my Zero set so I can turn regen up with a slight press of a forefinger if I want to really slow down or add a thumpress if I need a little more.  And even that isn't ideal, since Zero locks out the mode key while maintaining speed.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

reini

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2021, 06:20:44 PM »

I don't double-click to confirm shifting down in the Mazda or Ducati.  The chorded shift is enough safety, and even that seems like too much for regen.  I have my Zero set so I can turn regen up with a slight press of a forefinger if I want to really slow down or add a thumpress if I need a little more.  And even that isn't ideal, since Zero locks out the mode key while maintaining speed.

That's what I was talking about. You don't have to do any of this on an Energica to get the same effect. Just close the throttle a bit more  :)
Energica SS9+

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2021, 07:34:12 PM »

That's what I was talking about. You don't have to do any of this on an Energica to get the same effect. Just close the throttle a bit more  :)
That's also terrible.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

staples

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2021, 08:13:09 PM »

That's also terrible.

-Crissa
I recently switched to a Tesla cage and am a fan of the one pedal driving. I don't think it would be terrible to have a variable regen on deceleration on the bike.

Everybody can have different configurations if they are available. The problems with Zero's options is that they aren't too customizable and easily switchable.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2021, 06:43:13 AM »

Requiring fine throttle position constantly means that hand never gets to relax.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Plug-n-Play

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2021, 07:29:49 AM »

When the bike comes to a stop, you no longer have to apply throttle - relax all you need then.
2022 Energica Eva Ribelle

staples

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2021, 08:26:02 AM »

Relaxing on a motorcycle does sound dangerous. Relaxing at stops or putting the cruise on can take care of relaxing your right hand. Remember we have is slightly easier than our gas burning friends who need to use their left hands for clutch control. The most my left hand does now is control the audio on my helmet.

I'd probably prefer a bi-directional throttle that had a central stop that would be coast, but then had a progressive regen on the forward roll of the wrist.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2021, 11:55:53 AM »

I have an incomplete list of things I can do without too much brainpower that will allow me to accomplish tasks like switching regen mode:

- Typing without looking at the keyboard

- Using only one hand to hold a juice box to consume juice

- Breathing

I know all these sound dangerous but sometimes one must live on the edge.
Pages: 1 [2] 3