• September 23, 2024, 07:35:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Regen and CC user interface while riding..?  (Read 1853 times)

yhafting

• View Profile
Regen and CC user interface while riding..?
« on: July 17, 2021, 01:17:02 AM »

Having ridden my SS9+ one day, i see a couple things i would love Energica to provide or improve in the firmware

1: Easier access to regeneration modes while riding.
2: A different way of setting cruise control speed.

Now of course one can say that having ridden just one day, i will surely improve my skills in setting these, but ill argue that although the implementation may work for some, there are a different route that would make much more sense.

1: First, having to first access menu, then changing between 4 modes with a thumb button, requires looking at the screen, (or counting thumb moves) which really should not be necessary when changing modes on the fly (time consuming and dangerous). When driving EVs in general i have gotten used to changing regenerative schemes (both with the SR and the Hyundai Ioniq EV car i drive) depending on the road ahead, and that can be several times each minute, since the roads vary between twisting roads, straight roads, hills, no traffic and dense traffic.

While going on a track, it may be beneficial to set the regeneration scheme in one modus, and then making the most of it to improve skills. But since i'm focusing on road abilities i want to be able to switch fast and easy between regenerative modes and cruise control. When using cruise control, i will mostly always want to have no or low regeneration, because it sucks when the bike jerks when having to turn it off in a non planned manner (without using the throttle). Also with changing road conditions i would like to switch on the fly to more or less regeneration as i go down slopes or enter dense or less dense traffic. If this could be done by simply flipping the mode button that would be much easier to govern.

So thus for 1: my proposition is as follows:
1: Allow the user to set up the use of the mode button while riding. Personally i would like to use the mode button solely for changing regeneration (right = up, left = down).

While the information provided using this button may be nice, it is not something i would want to fiddle with while riding, and changing those i probably could live with hiding behind the left "SET" button. The regeneration scheme is infinitely more useful to change on the fly. If that is debatable (im sure someone will disagree) then make it an option for the settings.

For 2: my proposition is:
2: Allow the user to arm CC using the CC button, and then set the current speed with the SET button.  When in CC, the mode button can be used to dial up and down speed while holding the SET button pressed as before. Using brake should remove the current CC speed, but CC is armed so SET can be used directly until CC is disarmed. 

To me such a scheme seems much more comprehensible than the scheme used today.  While dialing in the exact speed is nice, it it a well planned action that will take some time. The CC button is so far from the throttle that it is a difficult exercise to set the speed first, and given it takes 3 seconds it is very hard to maintain speed while setting initial CC speed. When i set CC i might want to use it for 10 seconds to rest my hands briefly. Using three seconds to set the CC speed initially is too long, and using perhaps 4-5 more to dial in an accurate speed (that i could not achieve because i used 3 seconds the first time) is only useful in very few limited circumstances. Since the SET button is much closer to the throttle it would make a world of difference if a brief press would be all it takes to set the current speed. Then i hardly would need to adjust the speed at all- but if i have to do so, it would make sense to just hold the set button and then use mode to dial up or down speed. The CC button could thus be used for only arming CC and disarming the use of set button for setting speed.

So what do you think- does this make sense for more experienced riders?
Are you able to change both regen and CC fast and efficiently on the fly, or is it limited by the implementation?
Are there genuinely good reasons for not changing or allowing this as an option?

EDIT: changed the use of SET button to set briefly and hold for allowing mode to change speed.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 01:44:49 AM by yhafting »

MVetter

• View Profile
Re: Regen and CC user interface while riding..?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 02:04:41 AM »

I have absolutely no problem with the way I change Regen while riding. First, I don't often change regen modes. But when I do at this point it's automatic for me. Trigger left hand pointer ringer, toggle thumb right however many times I need, press Mode twice to confirm. Done. I can do this in under a second and not even need to look at the screen.

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 02:11:28 AM »

Set-n-forget (regen) here.  Sampled the settings on day one, liked what was behind curtain #4 and have never felt need to change.

As mentioned, CC is virtually impossible to invoke w/o disrupting current throttle setting - moving the actuation buttons to the left handle bar side is a viable solution.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 02:19:08 AM by PWM »
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 10:44:11 AM »

I have absolutely no problem with the way I change Regen while riding. First, I don't often change regen modes. But when I do at this point it's automatic for me. Trigger left hand pointer ringer, toggle thumb right however many times I need, press Mode twice to confirm. Done. I can do this in under a second and not even need to look at the screen.

Thanks, that is good to know. I did expect that it could become second nature, however i also think faster is better. (At least as an option)
But i have some follow up:
- Do you use CC actively when riding?
- Do you often switch riding screens when riding?
- Do you find yourself wanting to rest the right arm sometimes while riding? 
-- if so, what do you usually do then?
   (Personally i do need to rest my arms from time to time- so i prefer coasting downhill or using CC for a brief moment. )

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 10:51:44 AM »

Set-n-forget (regen) here.  Sampled the settings on day one, liked what was behind curtain #4 and have never felt need to change.

As mentioned, CC is virtually impossible to invoke w/o disrupting current throttle setting - moving the actuation buttons to the left handle bar side is a viable solution.

Thanks, i do think i will use the high setting more once i get used to it too. By my experience from the Ionic however, (which has easy access to switching using handles at the steering wheel for that purpose alone), i know i do frequently change regen setting and i would prefer to have that option to. (In particular because i need to rest my arms from time to time).   

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 12:09:40 PM »

That sounds horrible.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 01:12:35 PM »

That sounds horrible.
It's a lot easier than it sounds.

I always keep my regen low or totally off when on the freeway and switch to max regen when I exit and am on the city streets.

I change regen fairly often because of above.

-Don- Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MoneyFor

• View Profile
    • My Current Bikes
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2021, 06:24:03 PM »

Mine is on full regen all the time, what is the advantage of lowering it ?
Click HERE here to see my current bikes.

My current bikes:

2003 - HD  Hugger
2016 - Honda GL 1800
2018 - HD  Fat Boy
2019 - HD  Street Bob
2020 - Energica Ribelle
2021 - KTM Superduke 1290R
2022 - HD Street Glide Special

Squelch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2021, 07:22:30 PM »

I turn mine to low on curvy roads just to mimic the slight engine braking that I was used to in ICE bikes. I don't like the regen slowing me down so abruptly coming into a corner where I just want to gradually skim some speed. I use it on high in city/urban areas because I like not having to use the brakes all the time and from what I understand the high regen activates the brake light.

I've only had the bike for a couple of weeks and 450 or so miles, and it has become second nature to go through the button presses to change regen. I change the riding mode too, just as easily.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 03:23:46 AM by Squelch »

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2021, 09:53:05 PM »

Much better coasting at freeway speeds in the hills (such as a freeway in the mountains, as I often take).

You can waste a lot of energy by having regen up too high at faster speeds when  on hilly freeway. You will get better range coasting down a hill than having the bike slow down from excessive regen to get up the next hill.

However, if you use the cruise control or keep a very steady speed, it maters little where your regen is at.

As a general rule, the faster you go you want less regen. You want it at max it city traffic. You get the best  benefit of regen when you MUST slow down, such as coming up to a red light or stop sign.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2021, 07:55:31 PM »

Reading this I guess I might have to really get used to changing the regen setting (once I get hold of that EV bike).

In my Model 3 LR I only chance to low regen after it has been washed or if it has been parked for several days during heavy rainfall. Mostly just drive the car with right pedal only and hardly ever brake.
Would have thought that was possible also with an EV bike for easier controlling the speed into a corner.

Have only tried an SR/F for 30 minutes so have little reallife experience on an EV bike. As far as I remember the Zero's regen setting is automatically set to low when selecting sport mode?
/// MrMogensen ///
Former Yamaha FZ6 (since 2008) now sold and find myself wanting a Ribelle.

MoneyFor

• View Profile
    • My Current Bikes
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2021, 08:22:20 PM »

Will try to set the regen at a different setting next time, but I like the "hard" engine braking.  I drive quite aggressively like I drive the GSXR's and now I have to use
the brake less, it took a little time to getting used to in the beginning. I was used to that the bike normally having some lift at the back due to strong braking with the
front brake and that's not happening right now. So now I do a full throttle until a corner then let it go and the bike brakes without having to touch the brake and then
immediately put the gas back on. I don't ride this bike for relaxation but just for the thrill :)
Click HERE here to see my current bikes.

My current bikes:

2003 - HD  Hugger
2016 - Honda GL 1800
2018 - HD  Fat Boy
2019 - HD  Street Bob
2020 - Energica Ribelle
2021 - KTM Superduke 1290R
2022 - HD Street Glide Special

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2021, 11:39:59 PM »

Reading this I guess I might have to really get used to changing the regen setting (once I get hold of that EV bike).

In my Model 3 LR I only chance to low regen after it has been washed or if it has been parked for several days during heavy rainfall. Mostly just drive the car with right pedal only and hardly ever brake.
Would have thought that was possible also with an EV bike for easier controlling the speed into a corner.

Have only tried an SR/F for 30 minutes so have little reallife experience on an EV bike. As far as I remember the Zero's regen setting is automatically set to low when selecting sport mode?
I keep my Tesla M3 LW AWD regen on "low" 99% of the time. It's the only thing I have changed from the default. If I  expect to be stuck in the city, I will turn it back to the default.

BTW, if everything is set at max in our Enercias (Sport & max  Regen) we can still get the exact same benefits as low or no regen by riding very slow and easy and not backing off the throttle much. The only thing the switching to less does is to limit us. However, I like the "feel" of the bike  better when both are lower than trying to use  the throttle to get the same effect. You could just leave everything at max and adjust it all by the rather touchy throttle. It's less touchy at lower settings. So some people just leave everything at max and get used to it that way. I prefer the lower settings,  myself.  But I cannot say there is a right way or wrong way to set the bike. But I can say the misuse of regen being too high  can waste more energy than you can gain back and it can decrease your range.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2021, 04:14:58 AM »

Don =>

Why not just one-pedal drive your Tesla (normal regen). In case you use “creep mode ON” I understand you would dislike one-pedal driving.
Are you concerned about brakes not getting much exercise or do you believe you get better range when coasting?

I don’t think I could measure any +/- in range between regen at low or normal - at least not in flat Denmark. Regen just suits Creep mode OFF better.
Every 6 months (when switching summer/winter tires) I service the brakes. They work perfectly and they have very little wear after 2 years.
/// MrMogensen ///
Former Yamaha FZ6 (since 2008) now sold and find myself wanting a Ribelle.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2021, 06:21:29 AM »

Don =>

Why not just one-pedal drive your Tesla (normal regen). In case you use “creep mode ON” I understand you would dislike one-pedal driving.
Are you concerned about brakes not getting much exercise or do you believe you get better range when coasting?

I don’t think I could measure any +/- in range between regen at low or normal - at least not in flat Denmark. Regen just suits Creep mode OFF better.
Every 6 months (when switching summer/winter tires) I service the brakes. They work perfectly and they have very little wear after 2 years.
I do keep the one pedal selected. But I never used the creep mode.

I only have 6,200 miles/ 10km on my 2018 Tesla M3. I mainly ride motorcycles unless the weather doesn't cooperate.

Yeah, brakes can be ruined by lack of use. I had it happen with an ICE car that has been sitting for a very long time. As soon as I drove it a brake pad fell apart. I asked about it in an auto forum and found out that is common on unused vehicles where the brakes are not used often, such as when a car sits too long.

It is very hilly around here and the car slows down too much when I let go of the accretor pedal. So I prefer mild. Perhaps also gives better range as the regen is on  much longer when coasting down a hill.

But I mainly think of regen setting as a personal  preference with any electric vehicle, motorcycle or car. I simply prefer low except in city traffic where I want the max regen possible.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X