• September 22, 2024, 05:39:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Reducing the Energica Ego to 35kW?  (Read 637 times)

programmerOnWheels

• View Profile
Reducing the Energica Ego to 35kW?
« on: July 14, 2021, 12:17:21 AM »

Hi Guys

I currently own a Zero S 2010, but after finishing my studies and saving up enough money in 1-2 years, I really want to buy an Energica Ego. But due to laws and regualtions in Switzerland, I cannot just buy and drive an Energica Ego right after my Zero S 2010. After the Zero S 2010 with 9kW, i would need to buy a motorcycle with a max. of 35kW.

That's because my Zero S has 9 kW and the Energica Ego has 107kW which are worlds apart. I don't want to buy another Zero with 12-35kW and then get the Energica Ego. Due to the law in Switzerland you firstly drive a motorcycle with a max. of 11kW, then for two years a motorcycle with a max. of 35 kW and THEN you can drive one with more than 35kW.

I imagin it to be fairly easy that a limitation to 35kW, by programming the system, should absolutely be possible. Has anybody of you ever done this? Is this possible or have you heard of something like this?

I already wrote an e-mail to Energica today and I'm patiently waiting for a reply. I hope their customer support is better than the one from Zero Motorcycles as they have let me(and my local mechanic) down everytime. My local mechanic can take care of my Zero but he cannot help me regarding the Energica as he ahs no experience with Energica.

Thank you for your time to read my post and maybe someone has some advice regarding my issue  :)
Best wishes
programmerOnWheels

yhafting

• View Profile
Re: Reducing the Energica Ego to 35kW?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 11:56:15 AM »

There is something about the power to weight ratio, that would make such an option less favourable at the moment.

Lower powered bikes tend to be lighter, which is benificial when it comes to handling and acceleration. Also- at the rate electric motorcycles are evolving, it is likely that you wiill get substantially more for your money in a couple of years.

While locking down power for a couple of years is technically achievable, the lure for hacking it would also be tremendous. Personally i don't think it would benefit Energica, given their bikes and philosophy, to go down that route.

So if i were to give an advice it would be to let it linger until you can legally use an ego if that is what your heart desire. Do you really have to drive an A2 reg bike to proceed to A license? If you can live with the 9kW bike for two more years, before changing, that seems like a better option in my eyes.

Edit: Waiting, rather than stepping up at the present time is also backed by the fact that there is no electric bike in the sub 35kW range with traction control. Which of course makes your proposition for a power restriction on the energica more sensible than buying an A2 type electric such as the zero SR.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 12:21:05 PM by yhafting »

programmerOnWheels

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 03:07:59 PM »

Hi yhafting

Thank you for your reply!
Unfortunately there is no way aroung the 12-35kw license in between. Regarding the philosophy, you are absolutely right.

As an Update for everyone with the same problem:
There exists no homologation for an Energica with 35kW and as it's their market position and specialitiy, Energica stands and will stand for power in the future. Another problem is, technically it es possible to restrict the kW, but the law is so, that you are only allowed to reduce a maximum up 50% kW. So that means the baseline kW cannot be higher than 70kW which the Energicas are. So the law + homologation says no. Therefore I'll look for a cheap 12-35kW Zero for the next two years.

Best wishes
programmerOnWheels

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 07:04:05 PM »

Hi yhafting

Thank you for your reply!
Unfortunately there is no way aroung the 12-35kw license in between. Regarding the philosophy, you are absolutely right.

What i meant is that you don't need to upgrade the bike (although i can understand why you would). So the option to save money on the upgraded bike is there, if you can live with the bike you already have for two more years.

Anyway i wish you all the best, and good luck!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 04:17:03 AM by yhafting »
Pages: [1]