• September 22, 2024, 07:21:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Energica EMCE - New Motor  (Read 2732 times)

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: Energica EMCE - New Motor
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2021, 04:19:26 PM »

Don, there isn't any mention of battery cooling so far but with a more efficient motor at higher speeds, in theory at least, you could pull into the station with a lower battery temp and either start at a higher charge rate or go longer before there is a thermal cut back.

MrMogensen, I seem to remember the old (well 2021) Ego+ bikes being a base price of about $23k.
I can't remember if the RS was always at $25k base or if that price reflects an increased price with the new motor setup.

Maybe there won't be an increase in price with the new motor but you'd think they would want to cover some of the R&D costs.

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2021, 02:35:20 AM »

The price has been unchanged for the new Energicas with the new motor. Seems like some dealers are already getting them.

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2021, 07:19:41 PM »

Hopefully most of those who put in an order long time ago gets the EMCE...
/// MrMogensen ///
Former Yamaha FZ6 (since 2008) now sold and find myself wanting a Ribelle.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2021, 08:53:15 PM »

The price has been unchanged for the new Energicas with the new motor. Seems like some dealers are already getting them.
And all sold before they get there, as with here with all the Energicas?

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Plug-n-Play

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2021, 10:09:59 PM »

Hopefully most of those who put in an order long time ago gets the EMCE...
Ordered my 2022 Ribelle on March 29th, received July 3rd - has the old motor/inverter. I asked Energica about it right when the new motor was announced and they told me that the 2022 models that were already in production prior to the announcement would be unchanged and future 2022 models would be the new tech. They also added that they weren't sure what the price increase would be but conceded that there would be an increase (maybe they're eating it, after all). In any event, they suggested that if I decided to trade it in later for the newer version, they'd take care of me. No details were provided, but I presume some customer loyalty bonus on trade-in would be on the table.

Either way, I wasn't expecting the new tech and I'm more than happy with the version I have. I'll take their advice and ride the heck out of it and see where things are next year to decide if it's worth trading in. First world problems I guess.
2022 Energica Eva Ribelle

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2021, 12:30:42 AM »

I'm in the same position. The 21kw battery was too good for me not to pick one up even though I had just bought my 13kw bike the year prior. As much as I like the lowered scheduled maintenance of the new motor, the existing motor's maintenance hasn't been an issue. I'll likely pass on the new motor this time around. Of course, I'll give every new rider a big thumbs up and a grin if they have one of the new motors but since my Ribelle does all I need it to do and then some, I'll just ride the heck out of it.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2021, 12:06:14 PM »

If you just got the "old" motor and love it... do NOT try the new one.
Just like if you bought a Model 3 Dual Motor Long Range do NOT try a Performance :)
/// MrMogensen ///
Former Yamaha FZ6 (since 2008) now sold and find myself wanting a Ribelle.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2021, 12:28:44 PM »

Just like if you bought a Model 3 Dual Motor Long Range do NOT try a Performance :)
I test drove the Performance model before I bought my "Model 3 Dual Motor Long Range". I thought it was so ridiculous  I didn't even want it. Why would I want my tires to melt in 50 yards?

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Plug-n-Play

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2021, 09:09:31 PM »

LOL I can appreciate that. I test drove the Model 3 LR and was blown away but still ordered the Performance version. Glad I did ;)

On 2 wheels though, I'm not so sure I'll worry about lack of performance. I already keep the Ribelle on Urban having only ventured into Sport mode once...
2022 Energica Eva Ribelle

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2021, 10:34:26 PM »

According to Energica, there are efficiency gains to be had with the new motor, especially at freeway speeds. That, along with a significantly increased maintenance interval, makes it worth it.

But yeah I agree it's not a massive change from the old motor. Just slightly better at everything it seems like.

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2021, 07:31:09 AM »

According to Energica, there are efficiency gains to be had with the new motor, especially at freeway speeds. That, along with a significantly increased maintenance interval, makes it worth it.

But yeah I agree it's not a massive change from the old motor. Just slightly better at everything it seems like.

Umm, more efficient at highway speeds which is still not peak rpm and this is because less magnetic counter-forces are at play w/ a "hybrid" motor design than a pure PM design...at peak sustained rpm not so efficient due to the induction component which is proportional to load.

More efficient also because of weight savings and lower rotor inertia (lighter rotor).  1st gen motor, should in theory however be motor efficient at regenerating energy back to the pack.

Easy to quantify by measuring stopping distance on full regen setting with all other conditions being common.
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2021, 08:53:04 AM »

That, along with a significantly increased maintenance interval, makes it worth it.
I have wondered if that is just marketing BS. Some people complain about the maintanace required on the Energicas compared to other electric motorcycles (such as Zeros).

I recall in 1984 many motorcyclists were complaining that the maintenance intervals were too short on large touring bikes and the bikes that had the shorter ones mentioned in their manuals were not selling as well.

I think it was  1985 that the Honda GoldWing changed to hydraulic valves, which I thought was a great idea. But when people stopped looking at the maintenance intervals so much, many years later, I hear the GW went back to shims and buckets.

So Yamaha, changed nothing other than the maintenance interval times in the owner's manuals.  My 1984 Venture  says change the engine oil every 1.5 years or 10,000 miles. It wasn't the bike or oil that changed, just the recommendations.  I read about the BS games that were being played in a motorcycle magazine back then.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2021, 08:27:08 PM »

Talk about minimal ICE motorcycle maintenance, my friend rode his 1985 Honda 700 Nighthawk to Alice's Restaurant yesterday. It has self-adjusting valves, shaft drive and a reliable air-cooled alternator. I used to own one of those bikes, too. You didn't have to do much more to keep it running than you do with a Zero.  But now low maintenance and ownership costs don't seem to be very high on the priority list when most people are buying a new motorcycle. When they start to be trouble, you sell them to someone else and go out and buy something new.  :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2021, 09:29:22 PM »

Talk about minimal ICE motorcycle maintenance, my friend rode his 1985 Honda 700 Nighthawk to Alice's Restaurant yesterday. It has self-adjusting valves, shaft drive and a reliable air-cooled alternator. I used to own one of those bikes, too. You didn't have to do much more to keep it running than you do with a Zero.  But now low maintenance and ownership costs don't seem to be very high on the priority list when most people are buying a new motorcycle. When they start to be trouble, you sell them to someone else and go out and buy something new.  :)
I think they probably found their cycle service shops were not getting enough work so they slowly changed back to bikes that required a bit more maintenance.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2021, 03:55:13 AM »

I think they probably found their cycle service shops were not getting enough work so they slowly changed back to bikes that required a bit more maintenance.

-Don-  Reno, NV

I have had the same thought.  And that thinking goes along with Zero wanting their bikes to be serviced and the motor "commissioned" every 8K miles. Since dealers are said the make their most money servicing and repairing motorcycles, rather than the one-time commission that they get selling them, you would think that having a vehicle that requires minimal servicing would be a negative for any dealer that picks up Zeros to sell.

When Calmoto was located in Mt. View, I was told by the sales manager that Zero stopped by and wanted to sign them up as a franchised dealer. But the shop owner didn't want to have to fool with making repairs on electric motorcycles for which their technicians had no experience or knowledge. He wanted Zero to perform the servicing, but of course that wasn't going to happen.

Then Energica visited them and told the shop that they would be able to service and repair the bikes at their facility located in Redwood City just a few miles north of Mountain View. That cinched the deal. Now that they are located in Livermore about 45 minutes away from their old location I wonder what they do for servicing now?  Probably, at least one of their service technicians have received training from Energica and now know how to repair and service Energica motorcycles.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4