• September 22, 2024, 08:00:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ribelle on repair in Modena  (Read 900 times)

most

• View Profile
Ribelle on repair in Modena
« on: June 10, 2021, 10:53:29 PM »

All,

I could use some guidance.
My 2020 SS9+ was parked outside a garden shed that caught fire for some other reason. The SS9 however burned down completely, only very few metal parts remained. Luckily, it was insured and with the compensation I bought a dealer’s demo bike - a 2020 Ribelle full red with some carbon parts, keyless starter and - biggest win for me - the Swedish gold (Ohlnis suspension). I do not like the keyless option, but, hey, it came with it! It had only 160kms on the clock, so almost brand new. Man, I really loved that bike. Took it out in some rolling mountains nearby and came to love the suspension which is so much superior compared with the stock. I was only 90% happy with the SS9, finally I was for a 100% with the Ribelle.

It came with panniers and windscreen but no heated grips, so part of the deal was to retrofit the original heated grips. I agreed with the dealer that this is to be done along the 1.000km break-in service.

Now the tragedy begins: The mechanic made a small mistake when connecting the grips (real root cause unknown) - the outcome: The bike wouldn’t even start up any more. The workshop tried their best, they are really engaged but couldn’t even solve it with phone support from a guy at Energica HQ in Modena (Filipe or Filipo or similar?!).

Finally they agreed with my permission to ship the bike back to Modena for analysis and repair. That was Friday two weeks ago, May 28th.

The dealer and me agreed to give Filipo some two weeks time to analyse & repair it, but I was too curious and asked for an update yesterday. Feedback from Italy: They couldn’t find the error yet, now they’re suspecting the charger. Let me stress out here that the bike was in perfect condition with not even the slightest concern - as far as I can tell, only ridden it for some 800kms. It did not even see any rain.

Now the dealer proposes to give Energica one more week until he will propose me to reverse the deal. Well, I will not see any financial damage - BUT I REALLY WANT THIS BIKE.

So, my request to you is this: Does anyone of you have any connections to Filipo or the mechanic team there? I would like to bring me liking the bike to their attention. For me, it is no piece of metal (expensive, though) but I really do love that particular bike (in case it is not clear yet ;D). I am appreciating what they do over there and I was hoping to provide an extra personal note to that repair case. Not pushing, just letting them how much I want to get it repaired.

I am perfectly happy how the dealer treats this, I’ve got a demo SR/S meanwhile - but this is not my Ribelle...

Any proposals?

Matthias
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: Ribelle on repair in Modena
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 11:55:39 PM »

What does the dealer mean, 'reverse the deal'?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

most

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 12:03:10 AM »

Sorry if this wasn‘t clear - pay back the full purchase amount.
Consumption:

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 01:54:30 AM »

Pretty cool that the dealer actually let you borrow a top-end bike (even though it's not the one you love) and also nice that you, without having to bring your lawyer, is offered a full refund.

Dealer might be getting a hefty bill from Modena (when they discover the error)? Maybe it's best for dealer if deal is cancelled. They might be able to sell the bike for a little more $$ to another when it's finally fixed.

Lucky you didn't install yourself and created this mess!

I hope they fix it within a week so you get your Ribelle back. Öhlins are hard to find on 2nd hand Energica market.
/// MrMogensen ///
Former Yamaha FZ6 (since 2008) now sold and find myself wanting a Ribelle.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 03:07:51 AM »

I wonder if Filipo likes your bike so much that he plans to keep it.  ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 06:08:15 AM »

My experience with my Ribelle is that troubleshooting and fixing problems is not Energica's strong point. My bike was delivered with a right headlight that didn't work on low beam and a diagnostic systems that didn't detect the faulty headlight. It took five months to get everything related to those two problems fixed. In some cases attempted repairs created other problems that took time to diagnose and fix. A few days after getting everything completely fixed the charger died. It took three weeks to fix the charger which turned out to be a software problem, not hardware. It has been discovered that most Ribelle's in the US only charge at 6A on 110 volts not the 12A they are supposed to be charging at. This problem has been identified many months ago but still no fix. Energica is going to learn the hard way that inspecting bikes before they are shipped and fixing any problems identified before they are delivered to customers is a lot cheaper and easier than shipping messed up bikes to customers and dealing with the problems at that stage.

I feel your pain and hopefully your Ribelle gets fixed soon. As you have discovered, they are an amazing bike.

most

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 10:53:22 AM »

Yesterday cob my dealer called to tell me that Energica have taken another look at my bike and found & corrected the problem. It seemed to have been in fact the charger, unclear why they didn't try it all the way through on the first approach on Wednesday. Well yesterday it was tested successfully, the heated grips work now as well.

Not sure what happened here, as on Wednesday it sounded like a lost case and Energica might not finalize the troubleshooting any time soon. @ultrarnr, your comment was supporting that.
Maybe there was a hint coming from someone out of this forum (if so: thanxalot!!), maybe it was pure coincidence…

Anyways… the dealer is now busily looking into a soon transport back to northern Germany, probably alongside an almost finished brand new SS9+ RS that he ordered months ago as a new demo.

Thanks all for you sympathy and kind words - I now have to demonstrate the same patience like waiting for a new bike ;)
Consumption:

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 12:06:41 PM »

...It has been discovered that most Ribelle's in the US only charge at 6A on 110 volts not the 12A they are supposed to be charging at...

How many Amps does Energica charge with in Europe (230VAC)?
My car charges with 11kW/16A so would guess the Energica was around 5A with it's 3kW...

Yesterday cob my dealer called to tell me that Energica have taken another look at my bike and found & corrected the problem...

Fantastic!
/// MrMogensen ///

most

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2021, 12:31:48 PM »

My car charges with 11kW/16A so would guess the Energica was around 5A with it's 3kW...
Your car charges with 3phases, each one providing 230V*16A=3680W or 3,68kW. This x3 equals 11040W or 11kW.
The Energicas charge on AC using one phase: 3kW/230V=13A max. Most probably you need a wall box for that. If I‘m not mistaken, the stock granny cable from Menekes that comes along with your bike pulls 10A, resulting in 2,3kW. The reason is that the household 230V socket might get warm (even hot) when constantly delivering 16A, which might result in an electric hazard...
A hair dryer consumes high power only for minutes, so no issue here. But a charger often is connected for hours, so the 10A limit is a safety measure. I remember that the first Renault Zoes have been delivered with a special very robust 230V socket that had a magnet. That magnet triggered a switch in Renaults granny cable switching it in a 13A mode. If not present (like in standard sockets), it only pulls 10A.
If you look into the Type2 Plug, you can see only one phase „L1“ connected (metal contact) whereas L2 and L3 are very often plastic pins only or even non existing.
Just google for pictures of a Type2 plug and socket to understand which connector does what.
Consumption:

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2021, 12:34:39 PM »

My car charges with 11kW/16A
Not possible with 230 VAC on a single phase.   To get 11KW at 16 amps you will need to have 687.5 volts (687.5 volts times 16 amps=11KW).

so would guess the Energica was around 5A with it's 3kW...
That would require 600 VAC at 5 amps (3,000 watts  divided by 5 amps=600 Volts).

The Energica AC charger is 3KW (240 VAC times 12.5 amps=3KW). DC output should be around 90% on the input power, perhaps 10% loss in heat. Perhaps 2,700 watts DC, if they rate it in AC input power instead of DC output power, but not a large difference anyway.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2021, 02:47:57 PM »

My car charges with 11kW/16A
Not possible with 230 VAC on a single phase.   To get 11KW at 16 amps you will need to have 687.5 volts (687.5 volts times 16 amps=11KW).

so would guess the Energica was around 5A with it's 3kW...
That would require 600 VAC at 5 amps (3,000 watts  divided by 5 amps=600 Volts).

The Energica AC charger is 3KW (240 VAC times 12.5 amps=3KW). DC output should be around 90% on the input power, perhaps 10% loss in heat. Perhaps 2,700 watts DC, if they rate it in AC input power instead of DC output power, but not a large difference anyway.

-Don-  Reno, NV

Forgot that Energica charges on 1 phase (my car is of course 3 phase) so can't do the "fast-calculation" I did... sorry  :)
/// MrMogensen ///

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2021, 02:55:59 PM »

...Just google for pictures of a Type2 plug and socket to understand which connector does what...

Would never charge bike or car at a regular socket unless it was an absolute emergency!!!

Is it possible to adjust the AC charging via Energica software or can I only draw all it can get (up to the 12-13A)?

Live at a terraced house where 6 neighbours share 60A. No problem charging car even at peak hours since I can adjust the charge down to just 6A via the menu in the car. An Energica I had to charge ONLY at night then (if no charting adjustment is possible).
/// MrMogensen ///

most

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2021, 03:41:47 PM »

Yes, possible for both AC and DC separately.
Consumption:

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2021, 06:32:14 PM »

Yes, possible for both AC and DC separately.

Excellent news thank you!
Yes 3kWh is slow but battery is quite small and once I get home from work there is maybe 12-14 hours until I need it again :)
/// MrMogensen ///

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2021, 01:09:15 PM »

Excellent news thank you!
Yes 3kWh is slow but battery is quite small and once I get home from work there is maybe 12-14 hours until I need it again :)

You're already lucky to have a 3 phase charger installed at home. I have a 3 phase one but my grid connection couldn't be upgraded so it's configured to run at monophase at max 7.4 kW.

The Energica pulls in 13-14A (max is 15A) so 3kW.
The Zero pulls 5.8kW with that charger.
The car should do 7.4kW if I don't have too much other things runnings.

A quick preview just for you :D

@most glad they've got it fixed now.
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---
Pages: [1] 2