• September 22, 2024, 09:30:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: EGO mid 2017... Traction or not?  (Read 1387 times)

MrMogensen

• View Profile
EGO mid 2017... Traction or not?
« on: June 05, 2021, 11:07:23 AM »

I am confused

Thought that EGO got traction/cruise/heatgrips in 2018/2019.

Saw a new listing from a German dealer on a 2017 Ego that says it has ASR (traction control). I asked via E-mail and dealer said yes!?
It can't be that some shipped with and some without. It's not exactly an optional thing... Help?

The bike is absolutely stunning!!!
https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?action=parkItem&id=325044483
/// MrMogensen ///
Former Yamaha FZ6 (since 2008) now sold and find myself wanting a Ribelle.

MVetter

• View Profile
Re: EGO mid 2017... Traction or not?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 12:03:09 PM »

Pictures 18 and 29 are the most revealing. Picture 18 shows the dash with no traction control icon. Picture 29 shows the older style Domino instrument cluster that they used on bikes without traction control.

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 11:23:29 AM »

Thank you very much!!

Apparently dealer has no clue :/

Too freakin’ bad… that bike looks stunning.
/// MrMogensen ///

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 04:09:45 PM »

Dealer apologized and offered me a discount. That discount would easily cover renting a van (to load up the bike) and the whole trip to southern Germany and back to Denmark.

Really really considering it... even though I'd of course prefer traction control for 200Nm on one wheel.

Is the "old" battery pack horrible? Dealer wrote the battery has been to Modena for service (replacing some cells I believe).

As far as I can google (and see here) I can expect less than 70-100 km in sport mode and 150-170 in Eco mode? Or is that too much?

With my usual commuting pattern I will never experience problems with the short range. I have a home charger (since I already have an electric car).
Maybe the Zero just don't cut it for me because of non DC charging. With the Zero I can say goodbye to most trackdays... haven't gone for a few years but I really want to again. If I have to drive 300 km to the track the Zero would be terrible with no DC charging. Still for everyday commute the Zero is of course the very wise choice.

A huge Energica problem is no official dealer in Denmark. Parts can always be shipped but if I get a serious problem with electrics I have about 150-200 km to nearest dealer in Sweden - it's Italian after all... Maybe American isn't much better.
The regular mechanical maintenance I have no problem doing myself. Been working on my FZ6 for over 10 years. Even though I hate chains I can always install Scotoiler (like I have on my FZ6) or the new lubefree chain (can't remember the name of the brand).
/// MrMogensen ///

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 04:41:05 PM »

Extra question about that "old" battery.

If I am extremely unlucky and that battery some day dies on me...
Would the new 21,5 kWh pack fit on the 2017-18 bike - of course also with new wiring and so on?

Maybe I have to address this question directly to Energica...
/// MrMogensen ///

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 07:22:55 PM »

My understanding at this time they will not upgrade the battery pack.  But it's certainly worth contacting Energica directly to find out pre purchase.  Also ask if any warranty is left and if they know anything about that battery service.  I don't think they will replace cells so either a new 13kWh pack or maybe a BMS replacement that the dealer doesn't understand.

Good luck. 
Can you test ride it first?

Oh one other thing.  They charge nice and fast from a DC charger but only 3kw from an AC source but if you're commute isn't that long or you have charging at work then you will have a very enjoyable ride in and out of work.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 07:28:08 PM by NEW2elec »

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 07:58:40 PM »

Slow AC is no issue. Daily commute is only 50km on total so there is room left for an occasional detour.

Will reach out to Energica directly!
Maybe the dealer can tell me the registration number or whatever it’s called on the bike, so Energica can tell me about the battery repair/device.

Can test ride - surely… but it’s an 9-10 hour drive there!

Are those AC 3 kW on 3 phases or only 1?
/// MrMogensen ///

reini

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 08:57:20 PM »

Are those AC 3 kW on 3 phases or only 1?
That's single phase.
Energica SS9+

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 09:06:45 PM »

Is the Zero’s typical 3 or 6kW charging also single phase?
/// MrMogensen ///

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 10:15:28 PM »

Is the Zero’s typical 3 or 6kW charging also single phase?

Zero puts each charging module on a different phase for EU bikes. Their Premium model has two 3kW chargers and the put them on separate phases. If you add the Rapid Charge module, another 6kW charger, they add that on the third phase.

Sklith

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 02:04:04 AM »

My favorite pic is the one showing 56km range at full SoC, someone was having fun riding it recently!
2020 Energia Ego

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 02:20:53 PM »

My favorite pic is the one showing 56km range at full SoC, someone was having fun riding it recently!

Looks like it  :o
Does the estimated range easily jump up and down (due to the relatively small battery)? So if you go full throttle the first 5 km the estimated range drops like this and slowly climbs up at legal speed?
I mean if I travel to southern Germany because I want to buy this beasty Energica I don't want to see that nearly 100 SoC = some 50km!!!

In my car (Model 3) it just eats top chunks of the estimated range when flooring it. It never drop from 400 to 150 km because of this.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 06:01:58 PM by MrMogensen »
/// MrMogensen ///

Sklith

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2021, 07:29:30 PM »

MrMogenses, I also own a Model 3, and just like you I saw the rated range in my car instead of an estimated one, so that led me to use percentage instead of rated range. I suppose you can get Tesla's estimated range by opening the energy graph but that car has such good range why bother? I rarely get my car's rated range since most of my trips are ~80 mph.

I can't be exactly sure how many kms the estimated range Energica's go by but it really does seem like it uses very short distances (probably really close to your 5km number). I've experienced hopping on my bike with a SoC of 60% only to see the estimated range go UP from 30 miles to 40 miles after riding 10 miles just by taking it easy.
2020 Energia Ego

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2021, 08:38:14 PM »

MrMogenses, I also own a Model 3...

Also switched to % after a few months because it seemed easier to compare how efficient (or not  ;D ) I was on same daily trip.

Dealer gave me the bikes VIN right away so I could E-mail my questions regarding battery directly to Energica. Got confirmation E-mail shortly after and waiting for their sales department to reply. Asked about the battery repair/service (if there is any current extended warranty because of that). I also asked if it is possible to later on install a higher kWh battery + wiring (maybe even with traction+cruise) if the small (but heavy) battery dies or whatever... maybe in 4-5 years the price is less.
Just curious and all of above can of course affect my buying decision.
/// MrMogensen ///

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2021, 12:07:36 AM »

MrMogenses, I also own a Model 3...

Also switched to % after a few months because it seemed easier to compare how efficient (or not  ;D ) I was on same daily trip.

Dealer gave me the bikes VIN right away so I could E-mail my questions regarding battery directly to Energica. Got confirmation E-mail shortly after and waiting for their sales department to reply. Asked about the battery repair/service (if there is any current extended warranty because of that). I also asked if it is possible to later on install a higher kWh battery + wiring (maybe even with traction+cruise) if the small (but heavy) battery dies or whatever... maybe in 4-5 years the price is less.
Just curious and all of above can of course affect my buying decision.

The updated battery and wiring harness are not backwards compatible.
Pages: [1] 2 3