• September 28, 2024, 03:23:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 17 Eva - AC charging fan is failing  (Read 281 times)

2014ZeroSR

• View Profile
17 Eva - AC charging fan is failing
« on: September 18, 2020, 06:48:02 AM »

Question - Disconnect the fan how? Where is the connector or is it hard-wired?

Two days ago, the fan noise became horrendous.

I’m thinking of replacing the fan myself with an IP67 rated unit.

I removed various items but was unable to fully remove the fan assy - the short fan wires prevented me from doing so.

Background Fan Shroud Combo info by Demoni - "Strange problem with my SS9 today, « Reply #18 on: July 03, 2020, 05:03:22 AM »"

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: 17 Eva - AC charging fan is failing
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 09:00:26 AM »

Question - Disconnect the fan how? Where is the connector or is it hard-wired?

Two days ago, the fan noise became horrendous.

I’m thinking of replacing the fan myself with an IP67 rated unit.

I removed various items but was unable to fully remove the fan assy - the short fan wires prevented me from doing so.

Background Fan Shroud Combo info by Demoni - "Strange problem with my SS9 today, « Reply #18 on: July 03, 2020, 05:03:22 AM »"
My Esse Esse 9 fan had a small white connector on the thin fan wires. However, the new fan had no such connector and it was the exact same fan Energica uses--but I purchased mine on line, info. is in that "strange problem" thread that was started by me.

I soldered the new fan (with heat shrink tubing) to the old wires.  Perhaps after the connector (I don't even now remember), but I wouldn't hesitate to cut it even on a new bike still in warranty and keep it hard wired.  That's just the way I am. I have fixed many things at my own expense while it was still in warranty as it is often a lot easier to deal with that way.

But I won't advise anybody else to do such my way. But I would think nothing of cutting such  wires to remove a fan. Do you have the equipment (such as a small soldering  iron, etc) to deal with such, so you can solder a new fan in, if necessary?

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 11:21:18 AM »

1. Disconnect the fan how? Where is the connector or is it hard-wired?
2. The fan noise became horrendous.

2. Before you order a replacement fan I would suggest you check the metal mesh screen that sits above the fan, it's blades pass very close to the mesh.
If the mesh gets bent it can contact the blades when they spin, causing a pretty ugly noise. I have seen 2 fans go bad over the years, they work till they stop, no noise.
A fine pick can be used to hook the mesh and pull it slightly up. If this changes the tone of the noise you have found the culprit.

1. *I would suggest that you contact your dealer first if your bike is under warranty.*
You will need to remove the right side under saddle fairing to access the plug for the charge fan. It's the smaller painted piece that is between the tank cover and the silver tail fairing. It is held in place by 2 bolts and a pin that snaps out of a rubber grommet on the tank cover.
Once removed there will be some wires running along the subframe, you are looking for a small rectangular 2 pin (jst jwpf).

2014ZeroSR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 12:18:43 PM »

2. Before you order a replacement fan I would suggest you check the metal mesh screen that sits above the fan, it's blades pass very close to the mesh.
If the mesh gets bent it can contact the blades when they spin, causing a pretty ugly noise. I have seen 2 fans go bad over the years, they work till they stop, no noise.
A fine pick can be used to hook the mesh and pull it slightly up. If this changes the tone of the noise you have found the culprit.

1. *I would suggest that you contact your dealer first if your bike is under warranty.*
You will need to remove the right side under saddle fairing to access the plug for the charge fan. It's the smaller painted piece that is between the tank cover and the silver tail fairing. It is held in place by 2 bolts and a pin that snaps out of a rubber grommet on the tank cover.
Once removed there will be some wires running along the subframe, you are looking for a small rectangular 2 pin (jst jwpf).

Problem solved - The mesh screen was the issue. I used a small safety pin, bent the tip, pulled up, key on, noise was gone.

Also, fan connector, nice to know where it's at.

Thanks so much for the info and invaluable tip.

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 12:21:33 PM »

Glad to hear it was a easy fix!

Pages: [1]