• September 27, 2024, 03:30:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: The perfect Energica  (Read 3070 times)

princec

• View Profile
Re: The perfect Energica
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2020, 04:43:55 PM »

The whole instrument cluster with all its daft overstyled shape and idiot lights bothers me, not to mention the badly-designed-computer-game-UI of the actual TFT itself. Basically, "Copy BMW" and that's all you need to do :)

Harley belt assumedly fine, but I've never had a Harley so I don't know. And honestly the shock is just nitpicking for the sake of it, it was the first thing I saw on the Energicas that I thought looked a bit naff, like the side of an ER-6f.

Cas :)

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2020, 09:20:00 PM »

The whole instrument cluster with all its daft overstyled shape and idiot lights bothers me, not to mention the badly-designed-computer-game-UI of the actual TFT itself. Basically, "Copy BMW" and that's all you need to do :)
Lots of info on my 2020 SS9 screen. I can't say it bothers me, but sometimes excessive is as bad as insufficient. So much info., somethings such as an error symbol may go unnoticed. And example could be the small error symbol I had for my fan crapping out. I didn't even notice it with all the other stuff on the screen. The only reason I knew I had an error is because I checked diagnostics because of an unrelated issue and then saw the error for the open charger fan circuit.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2020, 07:50:24 AM »

This is a great thread!
This SS9+ rider wishes for
1. A larger dash with antireflective coating. All I can see is a reflection of my bright yellow jacket in some lighting. Check out the Tiger 900 dash. It isn't perfect and can seem over the top at first but you get used to it really quickly. Shorter time eyes off the road to gather info, more time with eyes on the road.
2.  Easier on the fly coasting regen adjustment. Really handy when riding in steep mountains. S and SR Zeros offer that.
3. Min 6 kw or preferably 12 kw L2 would be great here in the US, and easier on the battery than L3. The better Tesla destination chargers offer 12kw and more, just add an appropriately rated Tesla Tap or Lectron and voila, 2 miles of range per minute of charging at good speed, and even more at tourist speed.
4. (My #1 wish): A local dealer. So more dealers.
5. More luggage options, specifically a tail rack that is Givi Monokey compatible (like Zero has had forever)
6. Yes it's too darned heavy for what it is.
7. Yes the cruise button is not well located. Usually a left hand activation for me.

Edit on 9/19: nit picking aside, this owner congratulates Energica for a very, very well executed design. I really really like this moto. If anyone is reading this thread looking for reasons not to buy an Energica, you won't find it here. This is from a former owner of a Zero S and SR/F, and current and former owner of a bunch of ICE motos. Despite the small size, the US distribution system has been simply great to work with.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 07:47:10 AM by heroto »

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2020, 07:57:31 AM »

I agree with #5. I too would love to have a factory, GIVI compatible tail rack for at least the EsseEsse9 and ideally the Ribelle/EVA107 as well.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2020, 08:02:36 AM »

6. Yes it's too darned heavy
Just ride my 1,000 lb Harley a few times and then you will be saying how nice and light the Energicas are!

And I enjoy my Harley a lot! It's the most comfy bike I own for a long trip.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2020, 01:54:43 PM »

Don, are there, like, no steep hills you have to park on, or nadgery corners in Reno or something?

MoneyFor

• View Profile
    • My Current Bikes
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2020, 07:31:38 PM »

Just ride my 1,000 lb Harley a few times and then you will be saying how nice and light the Energicas are!

And I enjoy my Harley a lot! It's the most comfy bike I own for a long trip.

-Don-  Reno, NV

+1 ,

I own 6 Harley's and a Goldwing GL1800 and they are much heavier then the Energica, the Ribelle is a leightweight :) and even have a reverse same as my GL.
Click HERE here to see my current bikes.

My current bikes:

2003 - HD  Hugger
2016 - Honda GL 1800
2018 - HD  Fat Boy
2019 - HD  Street Bob
2020 - Energica Ribelle
2021 - KTM Superduke 1290R
2022 - HD Street Glide Special

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2020, 08:53:46 PM »

Don, are there, like, no steep hills you have to park on, or nadgery corners in Reno or something?

There are a few, in fact, I am on the very top of a hill here. But Reno is nothing like it is in San Francisco.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

most

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2020, 12:05:15 AM »

Some ideas from my side, focused on the SS9+. Most topics apply on all models.

1. Throttle
I love to set regen to max in the city and only ride with the twist of my hand. The last few degrees of the throttle travel controls the level of regen applied. For my taste it provides insufficient controllability because it kicks in only in the last few degrees of rotation.

I'd love if Mrs Energica would improve this ;) - keep the forward rotation (top of grip rolls towards the rider) for acceleration with spring-loaded return. If fully closed, the Energica would coast without any regen.
Add back backward rotation to apply regen braking. Again, this negative travel should be spring loaded (tbd higher force) and circa 1/3 of the forward travel. Side effect: In parking mode, it can be used as reverse, so no need to push the button to toggle fwd/reverse. And probably there is no longer the need for a SW setting of the max regen level.
I have experienced this on a Vectrix scooter. At first unexpected, but even after a few kilometers, it feels very natural.
In case this is too much effort: Increase the angle that is used to apply the regen. Probably to be done only by a SW parameter change (if so then add this parameter to the settings menu).

2. Craftsmanship of top cover plastic part.
For a >>20k bike, the squeaking part does not match the overall perfect build quality. I guess the root cause is the Energica Heartbeat LED section in the top cover. Same plastic type mounted together create squeak - every automotive designer knows that, why not Energica? An unintended gentle push will already make it squeak - sounds like coming from the cheapest Chinese scooter, not at all worthy of an Energica. Choosing different plastics would solve this without extra cost (but due to different shrink rates probably require new tooling).

3. Primary gear - straight toothed
Either drive chain sprocket directly, or as mentioned above, use belt drive right away... It is not that I couldn‘t stand the sound (it’s Even kinda cool). But imho electric riding goes along with silence. Would pay 500EUR/USD/GBP extra if I would have the silent option.

4. 3G/LTE connection to check charge status
Already mentioned, I‘d second that.

5. AC Charger with min 6kW, ideally 11kW (most Type2 charging stations in Europe have 11 or 22kW - they are growing like wheed even in unexpected places). Already mentioned. I would accept additional 5kgs plus extra cost.

6. Find some storage space for documents - lockable & rain proof (underneath the seat?!)

7. Better harmonized suspension. Without spending >2k on Ohlins, the rear suspension‘s damping does not match the front fork. A problem easily solvable for Energica.

8. Button layout for cruise control - already discussed...
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2020, 09:18:14 PM »

I got my Ribelle in March - now have over 4,000 miles on it.
The only thing I would change is the seat - after riding a few hundred miles it isn't comfortable - maybe another 1/2 inch of foam padding would do it.
As far as the charging - I've never wished for faster AC charging - I only do the AC charging at home (overnight). When on long rides I just stop at a CCS station.
A center-stand would make it easier to lube the chain, but not sure if the extra weight would be worth the trade-off. In any case it only takes a few minutes to lube the chain - just have to push the bike a bit, add the lube, push it a bit, etc.
The longest ride I've done so far is 550 miles in one day - the bike performed flawlessly.
Of course we'd all love to have an infinite range battery ;-)  ....
but for now the bike is near-perfect, in my opinion.
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

jhaggerty

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2020, 11:39:57 AM »

Really surprised no one has mentioned this one. The only thing I want on my SS9+ is active battery cooling. I'm willing to trade the AC charger for a 1KW unit in exchange for a cold plate and heat pump that liquid cools the battery and lets you do multiple 22KW charges.

All the manufacturers are going to need to get on board with active cooling if they want to push the envelope and make long distance riding a reality. 500 miles of riding my ss9+ three days ago resulted in 1x 16KW average charge and about 6x 13kw average charges. you just can't get around cooling that much thermal mass with no good heat sinking. The channel on the old batteries is a great idea but likely adds a ton of weight and complexity. I think a heat pump closed loop air cooling system that slightly reduces charging efficiency would be fantastic.

jhaggerty

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2020, 11:41:45 AM »

Also I totally disagree with the idea that energica won't get into dirt/adventure bikes. BMW probably didn't look like it would either. They have the potential to make a great adventure bike with longer travel suspension and more appropriate bars and footpegs. I'm happy to throw around a heavy bike on the dirt and crappy roads.

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2020, 07:18:44 PM »

...you just can't get around cooling that much thermal mass with no good heat sinking. The channel on the old batteries is a great idea but likely adds a ton of weight and complexity. I think a heat pump closed loop air cooling system that slightly reduces charging efficiency would be fantastic.

Spot-on.

What is the range to yellow?  Anything below this curve is safe area of operation.

Variables are ambient temperature, average speed and flog factor.

Just a guess, @90F 50-miles @ 70mph versus 90-miles @75F @ 70mph - that's the duty time I intend to apply, stay off yellow, don't have the bike yet but I can tell it will be fun characterizing it for such then decide true application.  I accept tradeoffs and don't plan 500 mile days.

Unless it's 45F I don't see it coming off of yellow once it gets there w/o rest to dissipate, true?

Call it foggy expectations... ???

BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2020, 08:53:29 PM »

Unless it's 45F I don't see it coming off of yellow once it gets there w/o rest to dissipate, true?
No, it often goes back to green, even on a very hot day, after riding easy for 30 miles or so.  Riding  down hill for a while can make it go back to green a lot faster.

On a hot day after some hard riding, after DC fast charging, the battery temperature indicator going to yellow seems to be the norm on mine.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

reini

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2020, 10:12:35 PM »

No, it often goes back to green, even on a very hot day, after riding easy for 30 miles or so.  Riding  down hill for a while can make it go back to green a lot faster.

On a hot day after some hard riding, after DC fast charging, the battery temperature indicator going to yellow seems to be the norm on mine.
Don, I think PWM is talking about the + models without the additional cooling channel through the battery...
Energica SS9+
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6