• September 24, 2024, 04:27:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: DC Fast charging issues (UK)  (Read 2422 times)

Specter

• View Profile
Re: DC Fast charging issues (UK)
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2023, 07:09:43 AM »

Well good news, went back to one of the previous electrify America chargers and got it working. Popped the seat, started the app, chose the correct station, plugged in and then swiped to start. ( I know I tried these exact steps last time) 30ish seconds later it was charging. Also impressive is going from 67% to 80% in 6 minutes.
Im happy I got it to work.
Joe
You will discover that CCS is kinda flakey and often takes several attempts to get it past the initialization stage. Never walk away from the bike until it gets past the initialization stage and actually starts charging.

IMO, it's a big hassle to need to disconnect and reconnect the cable for each time there is an initialization failure.  I wish they could put that on a button somewhere for a retry.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

If I am not mistaken, pushing the disconnect lever on the side of the charge cable like you are going to disconnect it, should click a micro switch, which is what tells it you are disconnected.  (assuming it is working properly) shouldn't this be all you really need to do, is press the side lever on the charge plug but not actually have to pull it out?  Maybe need to hold it 'open' for a second or two but try that see how it does?

Aaron

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2023, 09:28:35 AM »

If I am not mistaken, pushing the disconnect lever on the side of the charge cable like you are going to disconnect it, should click a micro switch, which is what tells it you are disconnected.  (assuming it is working properly) shouldn't this be all you really need to do, is press the side lever on the charge plug but not actually have to pull it out?  Maybe need to hold it 'open' for a second or two but try that see how it does?

Aaron
I will give that a try--but I will be very surprised if it works! I will let you know, but won't be any time soon. Too much snow on the ground here and it has been extra cold.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2023, 02:54:24 AM »

I found that if the charger doesn't care whether you actually removed the cable you can just leave it in and take no action and the bike will just wake up and start initializing again as soon as you re-initiate from the charger end.
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2023, 03:06:21 AM »

I found that if the charger doesn't care whether you actually removed the cable you can just leave it in and take no action and the bike will just wake up and start initializing again as soon as you re-initiate from the charger end.
Things could be different in the UK. Here they do care. At least all the ones I have tried.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2023, 02:15:41 AM »

THB I would think they really SHOULD care.
if you go unplugging a hot cable thats at 300 volts with a few hundred amps flowing across it, that's going to be a pretty impressive emerald green arc you draw, which is going to tear some crap up too.  Not to mention if you somehow manage to get yourself caught up in that as well, you are in some bad trouble.  Wasn't one of the companies looking at like an 850 volt bus?  That's a widow maker there you get caught on that.

Aaron

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2023, 08:11:40 AM »

if you go unplugging a hot cable thats at 300 volts with a few hundred amps flowing across it, that's going to be a pretty impressive emerald green arc you draw, which is going to tear some crap up too.  Not to mention if you somehow manage to get yourself caught up in that as well, you are in some bad trouble.  Wasn't one of the companies looking at like an 850 volt bus?  That's a widow maker there you get caught on that.

Aaron
Nope. The chargers are smarter than you give them credit for.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2023, 04:53:50 AM »

Aaron

I was talking about before it starts vending though so there's no actual power flowing through the DC lines, just the communication lines. Specficly I'm talking about leaving the connector plugged into the bike when initialization fails in which case basicly nothing is happening. Some chargers care that you actually disconnect the cable and/or that you follow the initialization procedure exactly, some don't and/or will let you change the order a little.
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos
Pages: 1 2 [3]