• September 25, 2024, 09:10:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Royal Enfield Going Electric?  (Read 718 times)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Royal Enfield Going Electric?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 04:11:30 AM »

Don't hold your breath before that happens. They started building bikes just like my Royal Enfield Bullet in 1952 which hasn't changed much since then. Royal Enfield has a customer base a lot more conservative than H-D and they don't like change.  ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 07:18:49 AM »

Don't hold your breath before that happens. They started building bikes just like my Royal Enfield Bullet in 1952 which hasn't changed much since then. Royal Enfield has a customer base a lot more conservative than H-D and they don't like change.  ::)
India is probably the only country where EV motorcycles (lower-powered ones, to be sure, but not moped class -- more like 350-500cc class) will likely become significant long before they have an appreciable number of EV cars. It's the world's largest moto market (22M units/year, vs. ~4M cars/year).

RE has actually developed several new models the last few years, as well as several electric prototypes, and their CEO is on record 2.5 years ago saying they'll have electric models within a couple of years. Their local market came close to a 2025 ban on ICE <=150cc class machines, and they need electrics to expand.
No telling whether that happens,  but they're well positioned for it.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 11:17:35 AM »

Royal Enfield has a customer base?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

shayan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 03:38:19 PM »

-Crissa

From what i know of/remember it has a big following in India. Many of the folks who go riding up the Himalayas are mostly Royal Enfield riders! It is known for its capability to tackle rough terrain, but not exactly off roading though.
-Shayan

2023 Energica Ribelle RS

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 05:55:53 PM »

RE manufactures close to a million motorcycles every year...

Cas :)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 07:16:42 PM »

At least they did until this year. The word is that the factory is operating at about 30% capacity due to pandemic safety restrictions.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 07:17:12 PM »

Although I am nowhere near an expert on these things, given the specs of current electric motorcycles like Zero’s SR/* line and the Energicas, I could see a lower spec electric fitting within Enfield’s current lineup. An Enfield electric motorcycle with a top speed of about 75mph and a city range of about 120 miles seems like it would be doable with a smaller battery pack and not a lot of weight when compared to other street oriented electric motorcycles.

I definitely want to see what the eventually bring to market. As the say, competition is good and will only serve to drive the electric motorcycle further forward in regards to more affordable models.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 08:13:59 PM »

Although I am nowhere near an expert on these things, given the specs of current electric motorcycles like Zero’s SR/* line and the Energicas, I could see a lower spec electric fitting within Enfield’s current lineup. An Enfield electric motorcycle with a top speed of about 75mph and a city range of about 120 miles seems like it would be doable with a smaller battery pack and not a lot of weight when compared to other street oriented electric motorcycles.

I definitely want to see what the eventually bring to market. As the say, competition is good and will only serve to drive the electric motorcycle further forward in regards to more affordable models.
There are several 125cc ICE-equivalent e-motorcycles on the market, primarily aimed at commuting, (e.g., the Evoke Urban Classic/Urban S which have specs very much like what you mention; they're selling in Europe & Australia, although I don't think they're in the US yet.)

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 08:27:46 PM »

At least they did until this year. The word is that the factory is operating at about 30% capacity due to pandemic safety restrictions.
That's long since improved. They do have supply chain issues, but the sales decrease from last to this FY was 15-20%, which isn't bad compared to most automotive manufacturers. They've moved to double shifts in some plants to try and fill the backlog.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/topic/covid-impact-on-royal-enfield

(No, I'm not any kind of professional analyst of the Indian market  ;)  ;D; however, I'm following this since I think the chances are we'll be seeing a 500-600cc-class decent-priced electric bike  with decent range from RE half a decade at least before we see one from any of the Big4 Japanese or European manufacturers.)

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 08:33:14 PM »

-Crissa

From what i know of/remember it has a big following in India. Many of the folks who go riding up the Himalayas are mostly Royal Enfield riders! It is known for its capability to tackle rough terrain, but not exactly off roading though.

There are lots of places where motorcycles are primary means of transportation, not hobbytime toys, and not just India.
While RE bikes need a lot of ongoing maintenance, there are places where that's more than balanced by the fact that anyone with a minimum of tools & mechanical aptitude can repair them easily.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2020, 08:53:27 PM »

-Crissa

There are lots of places where motorcycles are primary means of transportation, not hobbytime toys, and not just India.
While RE bikes need a lot of ongoing maintenance, there are places where that's more than balanced by the fact that anyone with a minimum of tools & mechanical aptitude can repair them easily.

You mean like this:   :o   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8L_pT2SttI&feature=youtu.be

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2020, 11:04:59 PM »

Such as in Vietnam.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2020, 03:06:59 AM »

Yeah, that's how I use my S ^-^  I don't even have a road that goes over 65 here.  Tho I don't go far, it can pass people with ease, which is nice, i gotta say.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2020, 04:17:19 AM »

One thing electric motorcycle are really good at is getting a hole-shot on cars when you filter to the front of the line at traffic signals.  ;D
Pages: [1] 2