• September 27, 2024, 09:31:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Picked up my Ribelle today  (Read 1411 times)

BigPoppa

• View Profile
Picked up my Ribelle today
« on: August 12, 2020, 06:18:09 AM »

I just got home from the dealer after picking up my new Ribelle. This is an initial impression only. I’ll follow up in a week or two after I’ve had a chance to get a few, longer, rides in.

Definitely a step up in performance from the EsseEsse9. Noticeably more oomph. With traction control dialed up to 6 it was still able to lift the front wheel a little bit taking off from a stop at wide open throttle. I’ve had to turn off traction control on my EsseEsse9 to get it to lift the front wheel.

It’s a little more aggressive riding position than the EsseEsse9 but it’s not uncomfortable. It could also be the taller windscreen factoring in as well but I felt pretty relaxed and comfortable the whole way home. The only exceptions were a couple of instances of my leg cramping up a little bit but when I hit city streets I was able to stretch my legs out a bit. I’ll definitely have to do longer freeway stretches to see if I’ll need to use my EsseEsse9 for freeway riding.

Probably most importantly...range. I was riding the bike very aggressively and chewed up 50% of the battery to go about 36 miles or so. It’s was a mix of freeway and city riding. I was riding at 85+ on the freeway and doing a lot of hard stoplight launches and extra legal speeds through town so I expect even better range under “normal” riding conditions. In comparison, my EsseEsse9 chews up about 70% of the battery under similarly aggressive riding conditions over the same distance.

Again, after I’ve gotten a few more rides in I’ll post a more detailed review and comparison between my 13kw SS9 and the new Ribelle.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: Picked up my Ribelle today
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 07:03:46 AM »

I just got home from the dealer after picking up my new Ribelle.

Congratulations!

I would like to know how it does for range at normal freeway driving (@ the  flow of normal traffic).

-Don-  Cold Springs Valley, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 07:46:38 AM »

I’ll try to post a follow-up sometime next weekend. I’m taking a couple of days off next week and will do a half to full day ride that’s much more leisurely than my ride home today. I should be able to provide freeway ranges at about 70mph-75mph.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 08:40:18 AM »

my EsseEsse9 chews up about 70% of the battery under similarly aggressive riding conditions over the same distance.

Again, after I’ve gotten a few more rides in I’ll post a more detailed review and comparison between my 13kw SS9 and the new Ribelle.
Sounds much like that 40% better expected freeway range.

I’ll try to post a follow-up sometime next weekend. I’m taking a couple of days off next week and will do a half to full day ride that’s much more leisurely than my ride home today. I should be able to provide freeway ranges at about 70mph-75mph.
Thanks, I am looking forward to hearing that info. Do you have any idea where you will be riding to?

I am considering riding back to Auburn tomorrow. On my Zero SR.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 08:46:49 AM »

Congrats BP!

Thanks for posting your first impressions - I test rode the Eva before plunking down coin on a Ribelle and follow exactly what you are saying with regards to foot-peg position.

I'm planning to lower my pegs 40mm which is a typical move I've made on several bikes - should you have similar want (versus swapping out SS9+ brackets) give me a shout. 

I'm apt to send it off for CNC machining and anodize if more than (1) set is made otherwise I'll bang it out on my manual mill.

BTW - what's the horn sound like?  I have a set of Fiam Hi/Lo tone snail horns I was contemplating putting on my bike but this depends on circuit ampacity - these horns if memory serves draw about 7-amps apiece.

Anyway - this is your birthday.

We are happy for you!

BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 08:57:19 AM »

BTW - what's the horn sound like?  I have a set of Fiam Hi/Lo tone snail horns I was contemplating putting on my bike but this depends on circuit ampacity - these horns if memory serves draw about 7-amps apiece.
The stock Energica horn is about five times louder than a Zero horn. IOW,  still quite weak! The Zero horns are a joke.

I put on dual horns on my Energica, with a relay coil in place of the old horn. My new horns you can probably hear there from here!

There isn't many good choices for  dual horn locations.  My SS9 isn't here, but if you want,  I can take a photo of it in a day or two when I will be where the bike is now located, and show you what I did.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

most

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 10:44:24 AM »

Congratulations!!

Sounds like some boys did behave and have an early Xmas this year ;).
Can’t wait to read your detailed impressions and some range tests, I plan on doing the same but I’m lacking vacation now and the family demands their tribute. So my SS9 will collect some dust before excessive riding...
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 02:56:01 PM »

BigPoppa, Where are you located? I am still waiting on mine, about 8 months and counting. Was told they got a shipment into CA but no idea when they will ship any of them east.

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 08:08:49 PM »

I’m in the Bay Area, my dealer is about 90 minutes or so away from Energica USA so that’s probably why I was able to get mine sooner, rather than later. From my understanding they’re pretty short handed right now so although they’re working hard to do the final prep on the shipment my bike was in, it may take them a bit of time to work through all the bikes and then arrange for shipping back east.

I know it’s tough waiting but it will be worth it. I have to say, as good as the Ribelle looks in pictures, it’s even better in person. The fit and finish, while subjective, on the Energicas continue to impress me.

I have no regrets about picking up a second Energica, even with the pandemic eliminating my daily commute through at least the rest of the year.

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 09:07:38 AM »

There isn't many good choices for  dual horn locations.  My SS9 isn't here, but if you want,  I can take a photo of it in a day or two when I will be where the bike is now located, and show you what I did.

Please post the picture here for other like-minded Energica enthusiasts to appreciate your trail blazing approach  :) - thanks Don!
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 10:02:41 AM »

Please post the picture here for other like-minded Energica enthusiasts to appreciate your trail blazing approach  :) - thanks Don!
Still won't be for a couple of days for the photo.

You may not like it anyway. But I have a blue horn on each side of the headlight. It clears everything and works very well.

It was the only thing I could come up with for dual horns on the blue SS9.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MoneyFor

• View Profile
    • My Current Bikes
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 07:50:12 PM »

Congrats with your new bike !
Click HERE here to see my current bikes.

My current bikes:

2003 - HD  Hugger
2016 - Honda GL 1800
2018 - HD  Fat Boy
2019 - HD  Street Bob
2020 - Energica Ribelle
2021 - KTM Superduke 1290R
2022 - HD Street Glide Special

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2020, 09:24:22 PM »

A couple of additional observations about the new bikes:
    • Looks like the firmware is newer. v37 instead of v36. I don't know what all of the changes are but the first thing I noticed is that the bike shuts off immediately once it's finished charging instead of waiting an hour like the v36 firmware. Also, when setting the maximum SOC, it only goes up to 95% instead of 100% which makes better sense to me. If you want 100%, then turn off the SOC setting.
    • Looks like my bike isn't releasing the charge cable once charging is complete. I have to use a tool to manually depress the unlock pin to remove the charging cable once it's finished charging. I don't know if it's just my bike or a wider issue but I'll have my dealer look into it when I take it in for it's 600 mile break-in service.
    • Again, not sure if it's just my bike or what but the AC charger fan comes on immediately when charging. It could also be the hotter temps in my garage due to the summer weather.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 09:30:39 PM by BigPoppa »

most

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2020, 09:44:19 PM »

Looks like my bike isn't releasing the charge cable once charging is complete. I have to use a tool to manually depress the unlock pin to remove the charging cable once it's finished charging. I don't know if it's just my bike or a wider issue but I'll have my dealer look into it when I take it in for it's 600 mile break-in service.

This is a good catch! Will specifically check that & firmware rev. on my SS9+ when I pick it up tomorrow. Thanks for pointing this out!
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2020, 02:58:54 AM »

A couple of additional observations about the new bikes:
    • Looks like the firmware is newer. v37 instead of v36. I don't know what all of the changes are but the first thing I noticed is that the bike shuts off immediately once it's finished charging instead of waiting an hour like the v36 firmware. Also, when setting the maximum SOC, it only goes up to 95% instead of 100% which makes better sense to me. If you want 100%, then turn off the SOC setting.
    • Looks like my bike isn't releasing the charge cable once charging is complete. I have to use a tool to manually depress the unlock pin to remove the charging cable once it's finished charging. I don't know if it's just my bike or a wider issue but I'll have my dealer look into it when I take it in for it's 600 mile break-in service.
    • Again, not sure if it's just my bike or what but the AC charger fan comes on immediately when charging. It could also be the hotter temps in my garage due to the summer weather.

Just to touch on a few things you mentioned:

- Your bike will not automatically release the charge cord. Turn the bike on and it should retract the lock.
- The EVA Ribelle is using a different charger unit. This charger has a fan built in and managed it's own fan speed.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the EVA!
Pages: [1] 2