• September 28, 2024, 07:29:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Things to check when picking up a new SS9+ from a dealer?  (Read 566 times)

most

• View Profile
Things to check when picking up a new SS9+ from a dealer?
« on: August 12, 2020, 01:58:36 AM »

Guys, I‘m so excited!!
My bike arrived at the dealer yesterday, I received all paperwork and managed to register it today - which is close to a real miracle as you usually get a date not within the next 3-6 weeks. The authority offices are protected by security (no kidding!) and they only let people in that show evidence of a registering appointment for that day. A bit of chit-chat, some kind words and I was let through to the info desk where the lady was kind enough to squeeze me in the line. So, job done, got my registered vehicle paperwork and license plate.
What stands between me and the bike are some 220km distance, and a week full of work. Due to forecasted rainstorm, I decided to rent a van to pick it up Friday.

I am aware of the basics of picking up a new vehicle, but does anyone have any recommendations for me what to check in particular?
Also, what can I expect that comes with the bike? Keys - clear, printed manual - obviously. Anything else?

Thx,
Mat
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: Things to check when picking up a new SS9+ from a dealer?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 02:25:00 AM »

Guys, I‘m so excited!!
My bike arrived at the dealer yesterday, I received all paperwork and managed to register it today - which is close to a real miracle as you usually get a date not within the next 3-6 weeks. The authority offices are protected by security (no kidding!) and they only let people in that show evidence of a registering appointment for that day. A bit of chit-chat, some kind words and I was let through to the info desk where the lady was kind enough to squeeze me in the line. So, job done, got my registered vehicle paperwork and license plate.
What stands between me and the bike are some 220km distance, and a week full of work. Due to forecasted rainstorm, I decided to rent a van to pick it up Friday.

I am aware of the basics of picking up a new vehicle, but does anyone have any recommendations for me what to check in particular?
Also, what can I expect that comes with the bike? Keys - clear, printed manual - obviously. Anything else?

Thx,
Mat
The thing that confused me the most was how to run the bike when I picked mine up with no manual and no info and nobody around to ask.

When the key is turned on (sidestand up, up course) the bike will not move unless two things are done. A message comes up on the screen saying you must put the brake level in and let go. You do that and it still will NOT move an inch.  And it gives no other info.

You also have to press the red button in on the right side (right side of kill switch)  at the same time and let go. Then  the bike will move. A long press on that switch will put the bike in reverse. Another short press will be slow forward. Anther long press will be for normal operation.

The eco mode will only go around 60 MPH, IIRC. I think rain mode is even less.  You probably want the Urban mode to start out with. It's quite fast even there.  But I now keep mine in sport with max regen at all times and I control it all from the throttle instead of from buttons.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 08:44:36 AM »

Thx,
Mat
Yes, the granny cable for home charging. In a big box too large to carry on the bike!

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

most

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 10:37:16 AM »

Yes, the granny cable for home charging. In a big box too large to carry on the bike!

-Don-  Reno, NV

Great info... thanks! That’s really valuable! Depending on weather conditions I still considered to take the train towards the dealer and ride it back (able to cancel the rent van until 8hrs before pickup).

The van it is ;)!

But I was more looking to receive some hints on what technical details I should place a special interesting! Is there nothing Energica-specific?
Consumption:

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 11:22:13 AM »

But I was more looking to receive some hints on what technical details I should place a special interesting! Is there nothing Energica-specific?
I am not real sure what you're asking there, so probably not. It will be much like any other motorcycle except the Energica is more fun to ride!  It's my favorite of my ten bikes, unless I am going several hundred miles where there are not enough charge stations.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

most

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 11:45:28 AM »

Sorry, yes, I should be more specific.
If you buy a Tesla, you would want to check especially for paint defects, panel gaps/flushness and probably for a poorly fitted inner rear wheelhouse cover (MS) and for MY the tailgate area. If you buy a Bolt EV, you would want to inspect the front seats for noise under load. If you buy a VW e-Golf, you would want to check that all Software related things work and the server connection for the App is functional.

They all have their specific little problems. Normally, none are real dealbreakers, but you are better off when recording it right at the pickup. Especially when the dealer is located further away.

I don’t expect that there is anything - just making sure there isn’t and therefore was hoping for some experiences.
Your comment would make me believe there is nothing specific to check.

I hope it‘s more clear now?!

PS: Writing and cross reading my post makes me wonder if I should more enjoy and less worry ::)...
Consumption:

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 12:23:18 PM »

Sorry, yes, I should be more specific. If you buy a Tesla, you would want to check especially for paint defects, panel gaps/flushness and probably for a poorly fitted inner rear wheelhouse cover (MS) and for MY the tailgate area.
I still haven't and I have owned my Tesla for a couple of years! So for that type of stuff, I am not the one to ask. I am more into driving/riding than caring what it looks like. And I never care about resale value. That it something I avoid. I get rid of vehicles when they are really to be towed away and nobody would even want them. And that is why I still have my 1971 BMW R75/5. I bought that brand new in May of 1971. I work on my own vehicles (for most stuff) until they are no longer worth repairing.

I don’t expect that there is anything - just making sure there isn’t and therefore was hoping for some experiences.
Your comment would make me believe there is nothing specific to check.

I hope it‘s more clear now?!

PS: Writing and cross reading my post makes me wonder if I should more enjoy and less worry ::)...
Yes, that's a lot more clear.  You mean such as  if I were buying a Zero brand new.  I would then take a very close look at the drive  belt to make sure it is aligned correctly and has the correct tension before I even leave the lot.

But with the Energica, I cannot think of anything like that which is worth worrying about. Not even the belt since it has a drive chain. 

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

most

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 12:28:23 PM »

Don, thanks! I‘m afraid I have a much less impressive list of vehicles and I really had to stretch out to afford the Energica.
Really appreciate your feedback!
Consumption:

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 08:15:26 PM »

In addition to what’s been posted above, I would look for the following:
  • Depending on your level of tolerance, you will want to check the paint and finish on the metal parts. I didn’t notice until I got home some of the black finish on the rear swing arm had rubbed/scraped off. Since I expect my bike to get nicked and dinged during normal riding anyway it doesn’t bother me but your level of tolerance may be different
  • If you had additional accessories like ergal bolt kits, bags, windscreen, heated grips, etc. ordered, check the re-assembly of the bike. I believe most of those accessories are installed by the distributor or dealer after the factory assembly. If the crew is overwhelmed with work, small things get missed. I found zip ties missing on one side of my handle bars but since I have a crap ton of them in my tool box it wasn’t a big deal.

I know it may sound like I’m giving them a pass (this thread and one other) on some of the minor cosmetic issues I’ve found but given the mad rush to get bikes out during this pandemic and the overall high quality of the bikes in general, I’m happy and satisfied.

At the end of the day, the bikes perform great and put a big smile on my face every time I twist the throttle and that’s what I’m truly paying for.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

most

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 10:39:47 AM »

Thanks - those are the notes I was looking for. I was indicating already in another thread that I am willing to compromise and I do appreciate the difficult situation Energica (basically the whole industry) is but I want to have a full undisclosed picture of what I get. Wether I accept or decline that’s a whole other side of this Italian story.

Guys, thanks again!

Mat
Consumption:

SBK74

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 01:01:27 PM »

Hi, My Esse had excessive play on the cush drive and steering bearings, although the latter didn't appear at delivery, but needed tightening later.  Also my SS9  (and the other first SS9 in the Netherlands) had charge cable lock issues in the beginning. Not a problem with AC, but with DC confirmed lock is required to start charging and worth checking before your maiden voyage. I wish you a lot of nice and safe miles on your SS9!
2018-2022  EsseEsse9
2022-         2021 Ribelle RS

most

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 09:48:45 PM »

Thanks! BigPoppa also mentioned cable locking issues when he picked up his Ribelle. So definitively worthwhile to check that while still at the dealer. Also potential play at the shocks.
Consumption:
Pages: [1]